• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deezer HiFi

Jet Black

Just a quick question, in my country the premium subscription of spotify and deezer are exactly the same. They offer the same bit rate at 320kbps, however deezer uses mp3 format while spotify uses the ogg vorbis format. Which of the two has better sound quality? Any one can share their thoughts about it?

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a quick question, in my country the premium subscription of spotify and deezer are exactly the same. They offer the same bit rate at 320kbps, however deezer uses mp3 format while spotify uses the ogg vorbis format. Which of the two has better sound quality? Any one can share their thoughts about it?

I think that's really a question for the HydrogenAudio forums. The general consensus is that, at a given bitrate, Ogg is better than MP3. But any such statement, not backed up by an ABX test, would be a violation of their Terms of Service.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
From the phone a one with either good DAC or good Android USB Audio 2.0 support, and with Wavelet. Streaming is very limited, I guess LDAC would be the best you can. As much as I like it for local author's repertoire I hate it for how DRM is implemented (swallows the storage space and net, you need to have a good connection to confirm the contact even content is already downloaded all of which is a problem on the go and pocket device). It dose have Flac streams. Eventually given up on it (after short time) because of described problems and inconvenience.

TonioRoffo

I think that's really a question for the HydrogenAudio forums. The general consensus is that, at a given bitrate, Ogg is better than MP3. But any such statement, not backed up by an ABX test, would be a violation of their Terms of Service.

I think it's a personal issue. Now, first I need to say, most tests done on HydrogenAudio state that (based on ABX of multiple people) 320Kbit MP3 is transparent.

Now, what you can do, instead of trying to figure out if you can hear differences, is get peace of mind by listening to MP3 and OGG at lower bitrates. You'll find that "what they throw out" or how they work, is vastly different. MP3 becomes metallic. Vorbis becomes a smear and adds noise, but doesn't give the harsh metallic sound. For me, the latter is more pleasant and leads to me SUBJECTIVELY saying that Ogg will sound better than MP3 at high bitrates (I'm pretty sure I couldn't ABX them anyway)

With audio it's also what's in your head. Sure you'll feel better about your music if you see two mammoth oversized power amplifiers before you, you won't worry that something compresses dynamics somehow because of running out of reserves - even if it is not the case.

Feel free to grab Foobar2000 or so, and do some tests. Take a pure WAV or FLAC file and encode them to MP3 and Vorbis at different bitrates. Use the built in ABX.

What is also never considered is further manipulation of the audio after CODEC - bass management, room correction, etc.

Jet Black

Oh, absolutely, that why I stress subjectively, and that it's all placebo/feel good at work, just knowing one codec is better than the other.
So Tonio, for you 320 kbps bit rate is enough for most ears and equipment?

jmtocali

Since 8.1.0 LMS is supporting Deezer Hi-Fi.
Screenshot_20210323-144853.png

BobPM

I access Deezer (and Tidal) through their Roku apps/channels on my main home entertainment system. The Roku Ultra I have still has a coax out that goes into an ipurifier into a Marantz SR 7008 receiver. The Roku is an under-utilized media player that has a good interface and decent sound. Newer Roku's only have HDMI so you would need a break-out box or some means of getting the audio out of the player. I also use a Bluesound Node for another system I have. Excellent interface and Deezer works great.

BobPM

Is being android based a good or bad? The Roku Radio Paradise app is really great since it puts up curated images on the TV that are related to some word in the song title that is playing. I say curated because they don't show inappropriate images.

BobPM

I would also note that the Deezer app on my android phone is significantly different in function and appearance from the one on the Roku.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
On the long term is bad as you won't get a long term support. You still can find Android TV boxes with optical out. Roku did many things good with the skin (menus and cetera) that Google did bad regarding Android TV.
I hope we will see Deezer in some normal streaming integration and that they will solve DRM implications issues.

TonioRoffo

I’ll just throw a bomb but won’t hold responsible :p
Somebody told me...he heard...there is a thing...called DEEMIX.
I don’t know what it is, but I assume most people have access to search engines...

I don't think this is the place to discuss illegal ways of streaming.

TonioRoffo

So Tonio, for you 320 kbps bit rate is enough for most ears and equipment?

It is for mine. I do buy FLAC & HIRES material sometimes, online, but that's basically because of differences in mastering between the normal versions and the hires ones. For 95% of music, spotify is enough for me. I must say though, that sometimes Spotify uses sh*t material they get from the labels. Some recordings are abysmal, not sure if that is true for the CD versions as well.

Ed Sheeran for example (Castle on the hill) is mastered sooo hot there is no life left in the recording, and audibly clips towards the end.

kami

Since 8.1.0 LMS is supporting Deezer Hi-Fi.View attachment 119939
I have mixed results with LMS 8.1.1 and deezer hifi,

I’ve not found a reliable way to reproduce the issue all the time, but it goes like this:
- start LMS
- reproduce one of my deezer playlists from iPeng interface in a neutron player at the ipad
- I get a FLAC through the upnp bridge plugin in LMS
- I play deezer flow from iPeng
- all subsequent searches and “play” actions produce a result with MP3 320Kbps CBR as the result from deezer

@jmtocali does it work reliably for you in 8.1.0 with FLAC all the time?

KM

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No more links or suggestions for how to illegally access and stream paid for content. I have deleted some posts with no further action. That won’t be the case if more are posted.! Please and thank you.

kami

I have mixed results with LMS 8.1.1 and deezer hifi,

I’ve not found a reliable way to reproduce the issue all the time, but it goes like this:
- start LMS
- reproduce one of my deezer playlists from iPeng interface in a neutron player at the ipad
- I get a FLAC through the upnp bridge plugin in LMS
- I play deezer flow from iPeng
- all subsequent searches and “play” actions produce a result with MP3 320Kbps CBR as the result from deezer

@jmtocali does it work reliably for you in 8.1.0 with FLAC all the time?

KM

Ok, I think I found the solution on my own

- I installed LMS version 8.1.0 on debian amd64
- I deleted the cache, because apparently LMS will cache URLs for songs already played in the past, even for external sources

eriksson

Forum Donor
Ok, I think I found the solution on my own

- I installed LMS version 8.1.0 on debian amd64
- I deleted the cache, because apparently LMS will cache URLs for songs already played in the past, even for external sources
Why do you prefer using LMS instead of web browser?
I use browser in my linux box (my main computer) to stream Deezer. I think it works rather well and the sound seems 'normal'.

Top Bottom