• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dedicated music server

hawk01

hello folks!

pls bear with another newbie inquiry. i am in the process of setting up a dedicated music server. i am considering a fanless mini pc of which i will indicated below the possible options. this will be running daphile only as its OS. per daphile site there are indicated specs for RAM, etc.

here are the fanless mini pc options:

1. the more expensive:
https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-HeroBox.html

2. the slightly cheaper option with downgradeable specs per vendor:
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...n-for-pfsense-firewall-router-i435482458.html

spec wise i would opt to buy something that would fit my needs, not something overkill. the objective here is to set up daphile in the fanless mini pc music server. my ipad functioning as a remote. as a total newbie i am taking a plunge into alien territory here hoping i will not screw anything up in the set up process. i am guessing this is as simple as it goes so if anyone out there has any bright ideas please fill me in. by the way, the chuwi comes with windows10 installed. running daphile i believe will render this useless or even delete it during the installation process. should i decide to utilize windows10 are there any other music server options i may consider bearing in mind that i need to access oll of this via ipad. lastly, this server will also have to stream spotify connect. cheers!

manfredsv

You can use Linux with "mpd" as a base for local music files and radio streams. This could be a stand alone solution to hear the music via the soundcard of the system. As an extension you can than also install the "icecast2" software to have a real streaming solution. Or you install a DLNA server like "Gerbera" or "Twonky" or something else. Just google for DLNA. There are "thousands" of solutions in wilderness for Linux. So don't waste your time with Win10.

just my 2 cents....

tom_tom

Hi @hawk01,
Daphile does not require powerful hardware. Choose something based on features ( Fanless design, looks, size, power consumption ssd drive size etc. ) I'm using it on Dell 7040 miniPC. Spotify connect works ok. For using iPad as the remote check out iPeng 9 app.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You're right about daphile replacing Windows, but check the installation guide for details of removing the Windows partition. It's easier to install on a blank disk. Also works well with cheap thin clients off ebay. You can run it direct from the USB stick to try it out before installing too. If you are going to replace Windows then make a recovery USB stick from Windows before you install it in case you want to go back again.

Silver1omo

If you go with the windows pc, you can install LMS and add the spotty plugin.

OP
H

hawk01

You're right about daphile replacing Windows, but check the installation guide for details of removing the Windows partition. It's easier to install on a blank disk. Also works well with cheap thin clients off ebay. You can run it direct from the USB stick to try it out before installing too. If you are going to replace Windows then make a recovery USB stick from Windows before you install it in case you want to go back again.
i will certainly keep this in mind! at least windows10 does not go to waste.

Top Bottom