• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dedicated listening room measures

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Resurrecting this thread, I decided to reduce the room a little and follow Sepmeyer's B room proportions. Only 20.8 m2 now but should have better room modes distribution etc. The thing is that my room is going to be wider (5.00 m) than its length (4.16 m).

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=500&w=416&h=325&r60=0.6

http://www.odometer.org/misc/ht/

b.jpg

Flaesh

Single bass array at the front wall and a fake wall with massive passive absorption behind some well-placed diffusors at the back will solve the bass problems and make for an incredible experience
- or second bass array (DBA)
- or, may be, thin passive absorption with some (usable) air space behind

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you concerned about sound transmission out/into the room? If I were building a room from scratch I'd try to get the noise floor as low as possible. I've been doing a lot of research on STC ratings recently and can offer some guidance.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am about to start building a dedicated listening room from scratch, so I can somewhat choose which measures to build. The architects are drawing the CAD plans these weeks, so I must decide soon.

The area I want is ideally close to 25 m2, and the largest wall can be only 5.0 m. That would leave the other wall only having up to 5.0 m too, but I know that a square shape is terrible for modal ressonances. Height is free up to a reasonable measure.

I have here with me the Master Handbook of Acoustics (5th edition) by Everest & Pohlmann. Chapter 13 deals specifically with room proportions and cites many authors and their recommendations.

And this is where I am stuck. I cannot decide which ratio to choose and apply to my case. Any suggestions?
What type and size of speakers are you going to use? Is this going to be for a hybrid use (HT plus 2 channels)?
How many windows will be in the room? How far are you planning to sit from the speakers? What kind of presentation are you after (sitting further with a lot of reflections vs mastering studio feel)? My choice would be 16 feet wide, 21 feet long, and 10 feet high ceiling. Oops, I just realized this is an old post.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you concerned about sound transmission out/into the room? If I were building a room from scratch I'd try to get the noise floor as low as possible. I've been doing a lot of research on STC ratings recently and can offer some guidance.
Sound proof windows and door, and the room is on a 2nd floor and detached from the main house, so as isolated as possible.

What type and size of speakers are you going to use? Is this going to be for a hybrid use (HT plus 2 channels)?
How many windows will be in the room? How far are you planning to sit from the speakers? What kind of presentation are you after (sitting further with a lot of reflections vs mastering studio feel)? My choice would be 16 feet wide, 21 feet long, and 10 feet high ceiling. Oops, I just realized this is an old post.
A pair of floor standing speakers (Thiel CS3.7). Room is dedicated for stereo music only, no HT. 2 windows on the back wall. Distance of main listening position and speakers to be defined, below just a sketch I made in Homestyler.com.

Captura de tela 2021-09-19 184027.jpg

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound proof windows and doors, and the room is on a 1st floor and detached from the main house, so as isolated as possible.

A pair of floor standing speakers (Thiel CS3.7). Room is dedicated for stereo music only, no HT. 2 windows on the back wall. Distance of main listening position and speakers to be defined, below just a sketch I made in Homestyler.com.

View attachment 156189

This layout is wrong in a lot of ways, why is the listening position and speakers so close to the front and back walls?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This layout is wrong in a lot of ways, why is the listening position and speakers so close to the front and back walls?
The answer is in the very post you quoted: "Distance of main listening position and speakers to be defined, below just a sketch I made in Homestyler.com."

Reactions: 617

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The answer is in the very post you quoted: "Distance of main listening position and speakers to be defined, below just a sketch I made in Homestyler.com."

Typically you want to maximize the ratio of direct to reflected sound so make the equilateral triangle as tiny as it comfortably can be.

Also you want to put the chair at 38% the length of the room, this way you 'dodge' or 'even out' the majority of room modes. you obviously can't do that for the depth of the room because you will ruin the stereo imaging. if you could manage to get your ears at 38% height that's also a plus or something to experiment with.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Typically you want to maximize the ratio of direct to reflected sound so make the equilateral triangle as tiny as it comfortably can be.

Also you want to put the chair at 38% the length of the room, this way you 'dodge' or 'even out' the majority of room modes. you obviously can't do that for the depth of the room because you will run the stereo imaging. if you could manage to get your ears at 38% height that's also a plus or something to experiment with.
Sure, thanks for the tips. I will experiment those when the room is built, listen and measure everything.

Top Bottom