• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dedicated DAC with Coax in/RCA out better than Fiio D3?

MKW

I need a set of 4 (four) dedicated DACs (8-ch total) to be used with miniDSP nanoDIGI (2 in/8 out) for 12vdc car stereo use. They must have coax S/PDIF input and unbalanced RCA output. The best solution I'm aware of is Fiio D3 (5vdc), and only outputs 1.6v max on the RCAs. Is there anything better out there now?
Ideally, they would run on 12vdc and output full 2.2v on the RCAs, because if D3 is the best solution (still after all these years), then I also need a solution for bringing 12vdc into 4x 5vdc in a reliable and attractive way for mobile car audio environment (think windows down, hot/cold, constant road vibration).
Any help is appreciated.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there anything better out there now?
There are many DACs with SPDIF input out there, that are better than the D03K.
Question is how much you're willing to spend on them.

Edit:
For 12V->4x 5V I'd use an Anker Powerdrive 5:
-1398713223-39003771.jpg
I have one of those for road trips with friends, but just realized it'd be perfect for your application (I think)

Last edited:
Reactions: MKW
OP
MKW

MKW

Thank you for the power-divider recommendation - I'll look into that.
Budget is whatever makes most sense. Since 4 of these DACs will need to be creatively mounted inside a 4-dr Tacoma, prefer they have similar form-factor as Fiio D3. Robustness of the build is a consideration (smaller = less mass to vibrate apart). In a noisy mobile environment, little value for diminishing returns. D3's cost $20 or less, x4 = $80. If a competitor product ran on 12vdc (less complicated) and output full 2.2v, while still offering 24bit/192Hz Coax input with similar form-factor could be worth twice as much, especially if it offered better SINAD and/or more secure power connection (screw or clamp terminals). Also, the DACs should have no buttons/settings to get screwed-up by random in-cab events - this happens on the amps occasionally (errant button press by passengers or loose articles), and is a hassle to solve.

OP
MKW

MKW

Couldn't find the Anker PowerDrive5 pictured - maybe an older model.
Here's what I settled on...
  • Power: 2x DM 7-20vDC (input leads), 2x 5vDC(3A total output=15W) by USB-A because they are very small (.5"x1"x2"), potted, surface-mountable, every kind of protection, and $13 for 2. Two are required because each of the DACs (below) draw 1A each x 4 = 4A, so fortunately they are sold as a 2-pack.
    DM DC-DC 15W.png
  • DACs: 4x Starwah 24bit/192kHz PCM/LPCM (only) because they are small (1"x2"x2.5"), aluminum case, come with all cables and probably the cheapest DAC @$10each
    They need 5VDCx1A USB2.0microB, but come with a USB2.0microB to USB-A cable that will connect to the DC bucking transformers listed above.
    If they sound bad, I can return for Fiio D3, which has a more thorough reputation; although, I suspect all the DACs in this range are likely exactly the same inside.

Starweh 24bit-192kHz PCM LPCM DAC.png
All-in for $54, and $27 after Amazon rewards - worth a try.

OP
MKW

MKW

Received the DACs already and tested each of the 4 using Node N130 playing AzonMusic with coax out to the Techole (not Starwah) with Sony MDR-7506 (my home-studio monitors). All of the DACs function (despite the obscure "Techole" name), and sound great to me. To me, this is amazing since they only cost $10 and come with USB adapter, coax and optical cables - the cables alone would cost that much (its like getting a free DAC)!? Still waiting on the 12vdc -> 5vdc transformers and a 120vac ->12vdc/30a transformer (for bench-testing the pre-amp stages prior to installation). I'm thinking Azon and the seller are taking 50%, then tha cables and packaging are legitimately worth about half the cost, which means these DACs are probably worth about $2.50 to the manufacturer - and they sound brilliant through critical-listening headphones... amazing that there are no obvious flaws.

Top Bottom