• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decisions between Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, ADAM Audio T5V ,Kali Audio LP-6 ,Edifier R1280T

Geezerman

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, ADAM Audio T5V ,Kali Audio LP-6 ,Edifier R1280T

Hello , new member here. I'm in need of some speakers to sit next to my PC monitor. I already have the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR , but I was thinking they were too large to put there, but may make them work there anyway. The others I'm considering are above.
I do have an amp which is one of those Chinese amps with the TI chip, "High Power Digital Amplifier Board Double Channel Power Amplifier Board 12-24V, 2×100W TPA3116 Amplifier Board High Power and Low Heat" I think I paid a whopping 10 bucks for it. It plays pretty darn good to my ears

I'd like to look at my choice two ways, with and without EQ, since I have not dived into that area as of yet.

So, the cheapest thing to do is to use the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR since I already have them, if I can fit them in

Are any of the the others listed above a real noticeable step up in sound ? I want to use them in near field, played through windows 10.
My understanding is that the powered speakers have DSP inside that does a lot of nice things to the sound, while the amplifiers inside the box are cheaply made in this price range. Other suggestions are welcome too.

Thank you

Lorenzo74

I really see it a duo match. Kali lp6 vs Adam T5 (or better T7). I’ve the same question. Need to answer soon.

OP
G

Geezerman

I think I will go with the ADAM Audio T5V or the Kali Audio LP-6,

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Based on your list, I would go with Adam T5V (at US$400/pair).
Kali Audio LP-6 are US$300/pair, but are larger in size.

Adams are 11.7" H, 7.0" W, 11.7" D....or 958in^3 in volume.
Kalis are 14.1" H, 8.8" W, 10.3" D....or 1278in^3 in volume (approx 33% larger than Adams).
Your current Pioneers are 12.6" x 7.1" x 8.4"... or 751in^3 in volume (approx 21% smaller than Adams).

Since you have Windows, just install Equalizer APO, then PEACE.
Then try @ MAIKY76 PEQ filters posted here or @ pierre's PEQ filters posted here (just type in T5V into search bar first).

Last edited:
OP
G

Geezerman

Based on your list, I would go with Adam T5V (at US$400/pair).
Kali Audio LP-6 are US$300/pair, but are larger in size.

Adams are 11.7" H, 7.0" W, 11.7" D....or 958in^3 in volume.
Kalis are 14.1" H, 8.8" W, 10.3" D....or 1278in^3 in volume (aka 33% larger than Adams overall).

Since you have Windows, just install Equalizer APO, then PEACE.
Then try @ MAIKY76 PEQ filters posted here or @ pierre's PEQ filters posted here (just type in T5V into search bar first).

Thanks. Which ones have the best sound out of the box?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks. Which ones have the best sound out of the box?
LP-6 will sound more neutral out of the box...
1607465423160.png

Adam have a slight elevated treble...but can easily be brought down with EQ that I mentioned.
1607465459697.png

That aside, Amir preferred Adams to Kali's in his listening impressions...where he said:
So I pulled in the Kali LP6. I was quite surprised that the Adam T5V with its smaller woofer was able to once again produce more bass. I think this is due to the shelving of the upper bass in LP6. Regardless, the T5V sounded much warmer and balanced due to more bass energy. And it could play even louder than the LP6!

Overall, Adam's Win (with EQ of course).

OP
G

Geezerman

LP-6 will sound more neutral out of the box...
View attachment 98101

Adam have a slight elevated treble...but can easily be brought down with EQ that I mentioned.
View attachment 98102

That aside, Amir preferred Adams to Kali's in his listening impressions...where he said:

Overall, Adam's Win (with EQ of course).
thank you very much with my old man noober questions.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of the box and with no toe-in (or very little), Adam T5V should sound great.

fun

Interested in the Adam T5V, but not in a hurry. Does anybody whether it is ever on sale, i.e. discount from the $200/each price?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Interested in the Adam T5V, but not in a hurry. Does anybody whether it is ever on sale, i.e. discount from the $200/each price?
It's never on sale on amazon.com, so yeah...you won't find deals there.
If someone else is more versed in US resellers, they might know more than me.
I would just watch the 'Deals' thread for any sales.

In Canada, during Black Friday, one of our resellers had a 15% off store-wide sale, so we could have bought it then.

Reactions: fun
OP
G

Geezerman

I'm getting some complaints on spending 400.00 for the Adam T5V, so I may have to go the 100.00 cheaper Kali

OP
G

Geezerman

All of them sound better out of the box, but the Pioneers are best left in the box and returned for a refund. ;)
The pioneer SP-BS22-LR were just OK, the tweeter was too bright and got tiring after awhile. ,
People raved about the towers in the series , and I tried those several years back and they were nothing great to me. I did do a unfair comparison to some Athena AS-F2 towers which dwarfed the Pioneer towers. I still have the Athena AS-F2 and I think they are very good. Old man ears thoughL

Top Bottom