• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deciding which monitors to buy (Kali, Fluid, Focal)

slopate

Hi everyone! First post on the forum. I'm looking for advice on a pair on monitors to buy. I've already done quite a but of research, and have narrowed my choices, but first let me explain my situation.

So I’m moving into a new apartment in Brooklyn, where space is, as you’d expect, limited. My setup will most likely be in the main room, which is about 10x17 square feet. Of course this will not be a dedicated studio space as we will also have a couch, TV, and maybe other furniture. The only viable place for me to setup is along the long wall, and slightly off center. There happens to be some exposed brick right in front of where I will set up, and the rest of the room is normal drywall. I don’t know how the brick will affect the sound but I imagine it will be no worse than a regular wall. The room is not treated and I have no plans to treat it at this point, though I may do so in the future. So I need a monitor that I know will sound good and not overwhelm an untreated room.

I am particularly wanting a monitor with solid low end and great clarity in the lower mids, and I have read good things about Kali monitors in this regard. However of course I want as much detail and clarity as possible across the spectrum. I do have Sonorworks room correction software, which has worked well for me in the past, though I have found it tends to make everything below 200 Hz sound quite dry and dead, which is why I’m hoping the monitor I buy is already solid in that range. On the other hand, because of the size limitations of the room, and because I’m not familiar with the room, I have reservations about getting an 8" woofer.

With all that in mind, the monitors I'm deciding between are as follows:

Kali LP-6 - (Have heard great things about low end response, however slightly worried about muddiness in lower mids and also hiss)
Kali LP-8 - (Same as above, although measurements didn't look quite as flat as for the LP-6?)
Kali IN-8 - (Really love the 3-way design and willing to spend more for it, however as stated before, concerned it might be too much monitor for the room)
Fluid Audio FX80 - (Heard good things about Fluid Audio, but again concerned about low end muddiness with these ported monitors)
Fluid Audio FPX7 - (Interesting and unique design, haven't heard much about it otherwise though)
Focal Alpha 65 - (Seems like a great reliable choice. Have mixed on this monitor before)

I was also considering the Mackie MR line, but it seems like the above choices are superior in most ways. Would love to hear advice from people who have owned these monitors, or just what your recommendations would be given the room I'll be working in. Thanks!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry, since you have a room correction software there is no need to worry about "too much loudspeaker" but the opposite, with a larger loudspeaker you have usually deeper bass and lower distortions, more reserves for room correction and higher directivity which is an advantage at untreated rooms.
Thus from above choices you listed I would rather tend to the two 8" Kali models (I used to own myself the IN-8).
How much is your listening distance?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
A lot of powered stand mount speakers have been measured/reviewed on this site. I suggest you start there. Don't skip JBL.

OP
S

slopate

Don't worry, since you have a room correction software there is no need to worry about "too much loudspeaker" but the opposite, with a larger loudspeaker you have usually deeper bass and lower distortions, more reserves for room correction and higher directivity which is an advantage at untreated rooms.
Thus from above choices you listed I would rather tend to the two 8" Kali models (I used to own myself the IN-8).
How much is your listening distance?

My listening distance probably will be around 6.5 feet (about 2 meters), and unfortunately I don't think I'll be afforded much more space than that. That's another reason why I was thinking the 6.5" may be a better choice. But you make a good point about the room correction. Do you think the 8" monitors will still translate from a slightly shorter than ideal listening distance?

OP
S

slopate

A lot of powered stand mount speakers have been measured/reviewed on this site. I suggest you start there. Don't skip JBL.

Totally! I took a look at the Kali reviews and measurements and was very impressed. I couldn't find much on the Fluid Audio options though, nor the Alpha 65.

I've definitely looked at JBL as well, but it seems like the Kali (which was made by former JBL employees) has a similar frequency response and is more bang for your buck.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think the 8" monitors will still translate from a slightly shorter than ideal listening distance?
2 meters is usually in the recommended listening distance for 8" monitoring, while for 5" or 6,5" its quite on the upper limit.

OP
S

slopate

2 meters is usually in the recommended listening distance for 8" monitoring, while for 5" or 6,5" its quite on the upper limit.

That sounds right. I was told by Kali 2.8 meters was what they said for the 8" monitor but that did seem a little high to me.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Of the ones you mentioned:
Kali IN-8
1600451216900.png

Kali LP-8
1600451255985.png

Focal Alpha 65
1600451365414.png

Haven't seen measurements for Fluid Audio, so i'd say it's riskier to purchase.

I believe Amir has both Kali LP-6 and LP-8, but who knows when he'll get around to measuring those.

Also, I wouldn't rule out JBL 305/306/308P MKII. I have 305P and with an EQ curve, they sound very nice (with plenty of bump bump) (personal opinion, of course).

JBL 305P MKII
1600451678017.png

You mentioned Mackie MR series...here's Mackie MR824
1600451986847.png

OP
S

slopate

Of the ones you mentioned:
Kali IN-8

Kali LP-8

Focal Alpha 65

Haven't seen measurements for Fluid Audio, so i'd say it's riskier to purchase.

I believe Amir has both Kali LP-6 and LP-8, but who knows when he'll get around to measuring those.

Also, I wouldn't rule out JBL 305/306/308P MKII. I have 305P and with an EQ curve, they sound very nice (with plenty of bump bump) (personal opinion, of course).

JBL 305P MKII

You mentioned Mackie MR series...here's Mackie MR824

This is extremely helpful, thank you! I had seen most of these but being able to see them right next to each other is great.

The IN-8 looks great except for that huge dip between 8K and 11K, what is that about?

The LP-8 also looks very good. Pretty big bump up at 18K but I'm guessing you wouldn't really hear that.

Focal is not quite as flat as I would have expected in the mids.

The Mackie measurements also look pretty solid if not a little top heavy.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have both JBL 305s and Kali IN-8s, and the IN8s sound dramatically better.
Now, I'm only using them as TV monitors, so not a HQ source, but I was surprised at how big a difference there was, when I had to use one of each for a while.
(I'm working towards a casual listening comparo between those 2 and 2 vintage JBLs, just out of curiosity.)
One factor in the IN8 decision for me was that they can be used horizontally (I believe the 308s not so?), and 'mirror imaged' (ie, HF inboard or outboard).
I also like that the IN8s have a sleep mode (but could be either a plus or minus).
They are also fairly heavy, so will need well weighted stands if used that way.
Even the IN8 is no match for full sized, full range speakers, but 'you pays yer money and takes yer cherce'.
;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The IN-8 looks great except for that huge dip between 8K and 11K, what is that about?
Its a common problem of diffraction in most coaxial drivers except some very high tech drivers like current Genelec and KEF ones.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will that kind of thing be audible?
I would lie to say that it isn't but it can be partially corrected with EQ and or not toeing them exactly to you but at approx 15°.

OP
S

slopate

I would lie to say that it isn't but it can be partially corrected with EQ and or not toeing them exactly to you but at approx 15°.

Got it.

At this point I think I'm pretty much decided between the Kali IN-8 and the Focal Alpha 65. Both are $800. More premium features with the Kali, but Focal is the more established and high quality brand. Has anyone used both and can compare the two?

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Going by Alpha 65 measurements:
Dispersion is a bit so-so for these. Kali definitely better overall, especially if your room isn't super dead.
Noise level of 25 dB(A) @ 10 cm for the Focals is decent and should not be an issue @ 2 m at all. IN-8 is likely to be more hissy (probably closer to 30) but again I don't envision any major issues at this distance.
Distortion in the Focals is alright but there is little doubt that the 3-way IN-8 would remain cleaner in the midrange at elevated levels and would have more oomph in general.

OP
S

slopate

Going by Alpha 65 measurements:
Dispersion is a bit so-so for these. Kali definitely better overall, especially if your room isn't super dead.
Noise level of 25 dB(A) @ 10 cm for the Focals is decent and should not be an issue @ 2 m at all. IN-8 is likely to be more hissy (probably closer to 30) but again I don't envision any major issues at this distance.
Distortion in the Focals is alright but there is little doubt that the 3-way IN-8 would remain cleaner in the midrange at elevated levels and would have more oomph in general.

Yeah I think I'm definitely leaning towards the Kali's over the Focals.

BUT, just to complicate things, I'm now also considering the Dynaudio BM5 mkiii and the APS Klasik 2020. They weren't in my initial search because I thought they fell outside of my budget, but I realized that they both can be had for just a little bit more at $1000 for a pair. Measurements look great on both, particularly the APS

APS Klasik (This is the original version, which apparently had some issues with port noise that have now been resolved with the 2020. Very impressive regardless).

Klasik Sign 0 -10 -20dBu.png

Dynaudio BM5 compact (in yellow) (Couldn't find measurements for the regular BM5, this is for the compact which has a 5.7" woofer instead of a 7". Looks decent except for the bump at 150, but it seems like that could be a room issue, since the comparison speakers also have that bump? Would love to see measurements for the regular BM5 if anyone has them).
dynaudio bm5.png

If anyone has experience with these would love to hear about that as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom