• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deciding on a Room Layout

Samk1234

Hi ASR,

Could you please help me choose between the two attached room layouts where I will be living / listening in? Which layout will sound better, both with and without treatment?

Layout 1 ( we can call it the 1 bedroom) has a listening space that is 13 feet wide. The length of the room is 28 feet from wall to wall.

Layout 2 is an irregular but more open layout, at full stretch the room is 22 by 28, with the speakers on the long wall.

The ceiling height is 9 feet.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Thank you

layout 1.PNG

layout 2.PNG

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my suggestion. It is lay'd out for the best imaging with your bed and the sofa.
zzzz layout 1.PNG

JktHifi

Layout 1 because you should be focusing to your spouse on bed, not to TV/Stereo.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Layout #2 is good for the living room when the sofa is oriented as it is in the image.

ozzy9832001

Living room is the best layout. I feel the alcove in the bedroom could cause some issues and it looks fairly symmetrical all the way through to the kitchen. Should be a nice area to get some primo sound and not have to deal with small room acoustic nonsense.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Thanks for your recommendations,

Just curious - should the speakers not be positioned a few feet away from the back wall?
Yes, if you have the space positioning the speakers away from the wall is usually the best unless the speakers are designed to be placed against a wall. :D A few feet is a bit much for most speakers unless it's a big room.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it was me, I would definitely go with layout 1. You can try this calculator.
I believe you have the potential for great sound at this location.

Top Bottom