• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent small DAC with optical input?

OP
O

OhSoJoe

Don't confuse performance claims with actual measurements.
Neoteck can write whatever they want into the Specs section.
Wouldn't be the first time that a MFR just copy pastes the specs from the DACs datasheet into their product page, even though in reality, the specific implementation has led to drastically worse performance.

Understood. I've edited "measurements" to "tech specs" which is more encompassing. I try to be both open minded and skeptical of all data. In other words, give the data consideration while also keeping in mind potential bias and uncertainty. While third party data is very valuable, no one has a monopoly on "actual measurements".

conuss

Last edited:
OP
O

OhSoJoe

There is no specification for the model I have given. Perhaps the entire lineup has the same data, but that's your guess
I didn't say anything about the model you had given. I clearly provided its model name "Neoteck 192kHz DAC Converter SPDIF to RCA". Chill.

MCH

Major Contributor
Can the soundblaster g3 be used as a regular dac? It is cheap

MCH

Major Contributor
Every headphone output can be used as line output as well.
My doubt is if it can be used as a stand alone dac (i know its bigger brother g6 can) vs need to be connected to a computer, which i don't know.

If it can, well, at least it is from a reputable manufacturer, very small, up to 24/96, 35 euros new from creative, and you can even EQ... i wouldn't look further

Edit: seems that it can:
1wk3hgvjpdt41.png

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I just bought a refurb unit. Although the reported specs aren't as good as many at this price point, they are sufficient for TV/HT and its 60% of the size of its competitors, the deciding factor.
It is a great unit. Of course peopl here are all about SINAD records, but the D1 is extremely competent and probably up there in the "darn me, I can't hear a difference" category unless your headphones are a more challenging >500ohm load (which some say it the USB limit, although I don't personally agree).

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Soundblaster G3 and I am using it as an optical input to my PC so I can get TV audio into the PC for EQAPO. I use Voicemeeter to route it to the D90. So far, so good. It might be adding some jitter or something, but there's no way I'm going to hear that at normal or even remarkably loud listening levels.

If you get it, make sure to download the soundblaster PC app and update the FW. It had some problems switching sample rates before the FW update. Since then it's been working smoothly.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
I have the Soundblaster G3 and I am using it as an optical input to my PC so I can get TV audio into the PC for EQAPO. I use Voicemeeter to route it to the D90. So far, so good. It might be adding some jitter or something, but there's no way I'm going to hear that at normal or even remarkably loud listening levels.

If you get it, make sure to download the soundblaster PC app and update the FW. It had some problems switching sample rates before the FW update. Since then it's been working smoothly.
Ah you are using it as a capture soundcard. this i didn't think about it. Did you happen to try it in linux? (My ecperince with soundblaster cards in linux is not always successful)

Damm it is 30 eur in amazon, i hate to throw away money in stuff that i don't need but...

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Yes, just for TV. So, my understanding is that I'm looking for something that performs well at 16bit 41kHz.

There might be room in my preamp for the Khadas Board, looks good. Are optical to coaxial converters straight forward? In other words, can they introduce losses or distortions?
Not that it matters, but keep in mind optical ports on TVs output 16bit 48Khz

conuss

Props to Neoteck for supplying tech specs for a sub $30 dollar DAC (below). Distortion and noise are both within the audible range, but at least you have an idea of what you're getting for the money. It does look like it performs a bit better than FiiO Taishan or Amazon Basics at a similar price and with a few different forms and feature sets for different applications.

Neoteck 192kHz DAC Converter SPDIF to RCA

Signal-to-Noise Ratio:105DB
Separating Degree (1KHZ):94DB
Response Frequency:20Hz~20KHz -0.2db
THD+N:-90DB
Total Harmonic Distortion:10Hz~20KHz 0.25-0.065%
Blocking Time:0.577Fs
Use Google, where you will find a lot of all sorts of reputable branded subjects with similar characteristics that distort the auditory range)), which are dozens of orders of magnitude more expensive than THIS.

natna

Late to the party...

I have owned a G3 for 2 years now. I bought it to use with phone handsfree for online teaching.

It does work with android as well as older windows mobile phones without any driver/app.
Computer drivers are terrible as Creative use to do, the last 10 years with their products.
Except for giving you a high volume output (especially connected to a computer), the sound is a bit "muffled" for my taste. Plenty of bass and mids. What is missing is the stereo image (or stage) and "air" in the treble.
My LG V40 slaps G3 in the face with both the standard, as well as the Sabre "Quad" DAC.
The Realtek ALC1150 in my ASRock Z97 Extreme mobo, is way better...

thomasward00

Hi All, I'm looking for a small DAC with optical (preferably TOSLINK) input and unbalanced out. While there are many small and well performing DACs with USB input, I'm not finding any with optical input. DACs like this and this had all been poorly reviewed. HiFime has a small optical input DAC, but their similar USB DAC doesn't look to perform better than the Amazon Basics.

This will be for dedicated home theater. I have a SMSL Su9 for HiFi listening, but its remote interferes with my preamp, i.e., it turns off my preamp when I try to switch inputs between streamer and TV. I'm tired of getting up to switch inputs, so I'm looking for this second DAC, but it needs to be small because I'm out of space and it will need to go behind something.

Thanks!
Joe
I have the Schiit Modi 3+, I've heard the current Modi E is great too...
I recommend them, especially with Windows... Works perfect.

Top Bottom