• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent integrated amp with adjustable high pass filter?

rbk

Hi all--new to register but long time lurker. Just getting back into hi-fi listening and wanting to get a decent amp for my system (Topping E50 dac, JBL stage 530 speakers, SVS p1000 sub w/WiiM wifi for streaming HD music). If it matters, I like to sit about 8 ft. from the speakers in a 12x18 room, and most of my music is high dynamic range. I'm looking for a sub $1500 integrated amp that has an adjustable (or at least multiple fixed setting options) high pass filter so my 530s are taken off the bass frequencies. Ideally I'd like the sub to handle 100Hz and lower, but I'd settle for 80Hz. Any suggestions?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all--new to register but long time lurker. Just getting back into hi-fi listening and wanting to get a decent amp for my system (Topping E50 dac, JBL stage 530 speakers, SVS p1000 sub w/WiiM wifi for streaming HD music). If it matters, I like to sit about 8 ft. from the speakers in a 12x18 room, and most of my music is high dynamic range. I'm looking for a sub $1500 integrated amp that has an adjustable (or at least multiple fixed setting options) high pass filter so my 530s are taken off the bass frequencies. Ideally I'd like the sub to handle 100Hz and lower, but I'd settle for 80Hz. Any suggestions?
Welcome. The issue you may have is that you already have a DAC and streamer, so most integrated amps are going to have those features, especially one that allows for you to adjust a high pass filter. To be honest, I can't even think of one that isn't going to give you some overlap. The new NAD classic series have a high pass filter setting, but I believe it is fixed at 80Hz??? Ive been eyeing the C388 or C399 myself. What are you currently using as an amp? You might consider a MiniDSP 2x4 would give you subwoofer integration with room EQ.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What you want is logical but you have a steep hill to climb with very limited options available to you.

OP
R

rbk

Currently using an SMSL AO200--the WiiM streamer goes into the DAC via optical cable, and the DAC is plugged into the amp via balanced inputs. Sound is generally fine, but I'm finding it difficult to integrate my sub woofer to fully fill out the lows. If I leave the internal subwoofer crossover set to 55Hz with a 12db roll-off, the system sounds OK if a bit hollow. Anything higher than 55Hz starts to degrade the music, which I assume is because the 530s and sub are interacting with each other. Sub is placed between and in line with the 530 speakers, which are themselves 7 feet apart with about an 8 degree inward tilt.

OP
R

rbk

Welcome. The issue you may have is that you already have a DAC and streamer, so most integrated amps are going to have those features, especially one that allows for you to adjust a high pass filter. To be honest, I can't even think of one that isn't going to give you some overlap. The new NAD classic series have a high pass filter setting, but I believe it is fixed at 80Hz??? Ive been eyeing the C388 or C399 myself. What are you currently using as an amp? You might consider a MiniDSP 2x4 would give you subwoofer integration with room EQ.
How would I connect the MinisDSP to my system (current connections are as above)? Would it go between the amp and the speakers?

Last edited:
OP
R

rbk

What you want is logical but you have a steep hill to climb with very limited options available to you.

Thanks for the link--I will check the thread out. I don't mind another external (non-amp) box solution, but I'm worried about overall sound degradation--I currently really like the sound coming out of the DAC.

DMill

How would I connect the MinisDSP to my system (current connections are as above)?
I have a very similar situation where I'd like better control of my SVS1000 Pro and have an amp the does not allow high pass cutoff filters. I also set subwoofer crossover at 55-60hz based on the recommended filter settings on the SVS site for a pair of Elac Carinas, which are pretty inefficient. The MiniDSP 2x4 would be placed between your DAC and amplifier however it appears to only have unbalanced RCA connections. It looks like you'd have to move up to the MiniDSP Flex for about $570 if you want to stay with balanced connections. With it you can buy an optional measurement mik-$75. And the DIRAC license is additional as well if you want that.

I DO NOT own a MiniDSP but there are many members on this site who do and can give you better advice on it's ease of use and questions/concerns you have. Here's are the threads:

Good luck.

OP
R

rbk

I have a very similar situation where I'd like better control of my SVS1000 Pro and have an amp the does not allow high pass cutoff filters. I also set subwoofer crossover at 55-60hz based on the recommended filter settings on the SVS site for a pair of Elac Carinas, which are pretty inefficient. The MiniDSP 2x4 would be placed between your DAC and amplifier however it appears to only have unbalanced RCA connections. It looks like you'd have to move up to the MiniDSP Flex for about $570 if you want to stay with balanced connections. With it you can buy an optional measurement mik-$75. And the DIRAC license is additional as well if you want that.

I DO NOT own a MiniDSP but there are many members on this site who do and can give you better advice on it's ease of use and questions/concerns you have. Here's are the threads:

Good luck.
Thanks--but here is where I'm confused: If I connect the DSP between my DAC and Amp, I presume it will be filtering out all low frequency signals to the amp, and thus the 530s will not have to deal with them. But my subwoofer is also plugged into the amp, which means the sub is not getting any low frequency signals either. Am I missing something?

DMill

Thanks--but here is where I'm confused: If I connect the DSP between my DAC and Amp, I presume it will be filtering out all low frequency signals to the amp, and thus the 530s will not have to deal with them. But my subwoofer is also plugged into the amp, which means the sub is not getting any low frequency signals either. Am I missing something?
You'd run the sub directly to the MiniDSP unit. So it's sending a high frequency only to your amp powering your speakers and the low frequency only direct to the sub.

Katji

Major Contributor
Thanks--but here is where I'm confused: If I connect the DSP between my DAC and Amp,
Problem is DSP means digital and the output of DAC is analog [for the analog input to the amp.] Unless the DAC has a digital pass-through output - in which case the DAC there is pointless. So need to replace the existing DAC with miniDSP device that does the frequency division and provides 2-channel/stereo for the main speakers and 1 channel for the subwoofer.

OP
R

rbk

Problem is DSP means digital and the output of DAC is analog [for the analog input to the amp.] Unless the DAC has a digital pass-through output - in which case the DAC there is pointless. So need to replace the existing DAC with miniDSP device that does the frequency division and provides 2-channel/stereo for the main speakers and 1 channel for the subwoofer.
Yes, thanks--my DAC would have to be replaced with the DSP. However, when I looked up the website for the miniDSP flex, the manufacturer is in Hong Kong and they have an "all sales are final" policy. I won't deal with this type of zero customer service.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes, thanks--my DAC would have to be replaced with the DSP. However, when I looked up the website for the miniDSP flex, the manufacturer is in Hong Kong and they have an "all sales are final" policy. I won't deal with this type of zero customer service.

I am with you regarding minidsp. Later people come crying... (not referring to minidsp in particular, that seem to be quite durable). But with your budget, I am sure there are a few options. Maybe you find something here:

DMill

That is certainly understandable and one reason I am considering other options as well.

Top Bottom