• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent inexpensive (relatively) XLR cables

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Redco. Redco is a cable shop with an online custom cable configurator where you can choose the exact length, cable, and connector on each end. I typically use Canare cable with Neutrik connectors on both ends, but the custom length definitely came in handy when I wanted a 1-foot XLR cable for my desk mic.
Well maybe because they are in Connecticut. There’s an East Coast West Coast thing going on here. o_O

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor

sharpty

These are Neutrik XX series branded with the Cable Matters logo. Same thing.

They are not real Neutrik connectors. Also IIRC, Cable Matters uses very thick jacketed cables, like the Monoprice.
Monoprice claims they are 16 gauge cables, really it's just 22 or 24 gauge inside a metric shit ton of rubber. Not that you would want 16 gauge cable for mics/line anyway, but I also don't want a cable that weighs 3x more than a pro cable, pulling on the XLR jacks in my speakers and interface. Avoid Cable Matters and monoprice. Best way to get cheap cables that are decent quality is to buy a 100' GLS Audio XLR cable (cheaper than buying bulk cable) and a bunch of real Neutrik jacks, cut the cable up into the lengths you need and solder your own jacks.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not real Neutrik connectors.

Hmm, front of the female looks the same (Neutrik has both gold or silves contacts), metal body different of course, rubber ring the same and strain relief very similar. If not an OEM version then probably a very close copy, enough to be sued by Neutrik for copying their style.

xlrs.jpg

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not real Neutrik connectors. Also IIRC, Cable Matters uses very thick jacketed cables, like the Monoprice.
Monoprice claims they are 16 gauge cables, really it's just 22 or 24 gauge inside a metric shit ton of rubber. Not that you would want 16 gauge cable for mics/line anyway, but I also don't want a cable that weighs 3x more than a pro cable, pulling on the XLR jacks in my speakers and interface. Avoid Cable Matters and monoprice. Best way to get cheap cables that are decent quality is to buy a 100' GLS Audio XLR cable (cheaper than buying bulk cable) and a bunch of real Neutrik jacks, cut the cable up into the lengths you need and solder your own jacks.
How can you tell they are not real?

sharpty

How can you tell they are not real?

With my eyes... And i've owned plenty of cheap cables with clone connectors. I also own lots of custom cables with Neutrik connectors, and I can tell you that the real Neutrik are superior in fit, finish, and durability. Also Neutrik doesn't make custom branded jacks. If it's Neutrik, it will say so.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again it's easy enough to make your own cables with decent stock and connectors....

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seem well constructed to me. I've done hand terminated Nuetrik and this looks the same. They even heat shrinked the solder cup/conductor.
IMG_20200626_174536.jpg
IMG_20200626_174527.jpg

sharpty

who wants to pull this apart?

If you look under the reviews, there are pics. It looks to use the same Neutrik style clones used on many other cheap cables. GLS audio appears to have the same ones.

As for the Cable Matters jacks, they look identical to the LyxPro quad cables I have, except for the strain relief cap. Not to say they aren't adequate for 99% of people, but the fit of genuine connectors is worth the $3 a piece that they cost, IMO. One thing to consider with cheap cables apart from the jacks, is how microphonic it is. Not so much an issue for line level interconnects that don't move, but for mics it can cause issues. The GLS cable that I use to make custom interconnects with, will definitely make noise if you flick it while it's connected to a mic. Some are even worse, where just moving the cable will introduce noise.

Also i'm surprised that the CM cable has pin 1 tied to the chassis. That's typically only done for cables that you daisy chain, as it can induce ground loop noise if it's used by itself.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look under the reviews, there are pics. It looks to use the same Neutrik style clones used on many other cheap cables. GLS audio appears to have the same ones.

As for the Cable Matters jacks, they look identical to the LyxPro quad cables I have, except for the strain relief cap. Not to say they aren't adequate for 99% of people, but the fit of genuine connectors is worth the $3 a piece that they cost, IMO. One thing to consider with cheap cables apart from the jacks, is how microphonic it is. Not so much an issue for line level interconnects that don't move, but for mics it can cause issues. The GLS cable that I use to make custom interconnects with, will definitely make noise if you flick it while it's connected to a mic. Some are even worse, where just moving the cable will introduce noise.

Also i'm surprised that the CM cable has pin 1 tied to the chassis. That's typically only done for cables that you daisy chain, as it can induce ground loop noise if it's used by itself.
You probably are experiencing tribo-electric noise when you thump the cable. Monoprice Premier XLR's are terrible about this. Not a problem at line level as I've measured it. Could be for microphones if they are moved during use. Still not a problem if they are stationary.

Promit

I like nice connectors as much as the next guy, but we’re not talking about pro audio being hauled from gig to gig and rebuilt each time here. A home hifi setup will see what, a couple dozen connect events in its lifetime?

sharpty

You can have top of the line interconnects for a couple dollars more than the cheapest stuff on amazon.
If you have a soldering iron already, which I assume quite a few around here do, why not? ‍;)
Good soldering practice too :p

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing they can do about it. That's the Chinese mail system right now. They do have an express option that is a few bucks more. Much, much faster.
As a follow up, I finally received a pair of the 1.5 meter cable model you mentioned, and, yes, it's a very nice cable and the pair only cost $34 postage paid. :(

I ordered them on May 16th and they were delivered on August 8th which is 84 days. Best better order anything express from Ghent unless you want to wait 2 or more months for delivery.

dfuller

Major Contributor
If you can solder, building XLRs is about as easy as it can get. Get some Canare L-2TS and Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors, it'll cost you about $20 per cable on Redco and it's about as good as anything you can buy.

swampbrain

I agree, but also like the amphenol connectors. I purchase cables from Worlds Best Cables on Amazon. You can get two pairs of 1m XLR cables made from Canare and Neutrik for less than $60.

I'm trying the Worlds Best Cables too. Using Magami 2549 (black) wire and Neutrik NC3MXX-B & NC3FXX-B connectors.
Hope I made a good choice. Newbie who's never dealt with dacs, power amps, and xlr connections before so I'm just trying to learn as I go.

Anyone else using these cables?

Top Bottom