• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent inexpensive (relatively) XLR cables

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would avoid Hosa based on (much) previous experience. And the cheaper Monoprice cables. Both use shoddy (IMO) connectors and do not properly strain-relieve the wires. I have no experience with more expensive Monoprice; I bought a few of the cheaper (though not cheapest) ones with an order of other parts, and ended up doing a rush order with Sweetwater for something I would trust. I have read reviews elsewhere (e.g. AVS) where folk have liked their Monoprice XLRs so maybe I got a bad batch or didn't go for their higher-end'ish cables. Or they've improved.

Edit: I was typing when @stunta posted... Could you post or link exactly which ones (model) you purchased? Mine were junk but that was also several years ago.

Sure thing. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4754

I have 6 runs of 25+ feet running behind wood panel walls for more than a year now. I also own Blue Jeans cables of different kinds and they are very high quality but for the volumes of XLR I was buying, the monoprice cables saved me hundreds of dollars.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Promit

For things I really care about, Markertek sells Canare star-quad cables with real rather than Chinese Neutrik ends: https://www.markertek.com/product/s...in-xlr-male-to-3-pin-xlr-female-black-10-foot
For things I only sort of care about, Monoprice Premier or Cable Matters (Amazon) or GLS have been great. Honestly I don't have anything to complain about with my Amazon Basics XLRs either.

The Hosa, on the other hand ... don't buy the god damn Hosa.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I hear you. I like to eat every day too. Not just once a week. You'd expect no less than one wish per cable and one meal per week per cable.
For multiple wishes and 24/7 catering, you need the creme de la creme of interconnects, the Audioquest Wel Signature at $8.5k/meter per pair. Don't worry about plugging them into your system, just drape them around your neck in the general vicinity of your set-up and the cable will do the rest. Don't believe me? ASR's favorite DAC manufacturer can vouch for the WEL signature cables (5:00 min mark) ... "The difference was striking!"

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pick between Canare and Mogami-based cables. Neutrik connectors. Best of the best.

I agree, but also like the amphenol connectors. I purchase cables from Worlds Best Cables on Amazon. You can get two pairs of 1m XLR cables made from Canare and Neutrik for less than $60.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For multiple wishes and 24/7 catering, you need the creme de la creme of interconnects, the Audioquest Wel Signature at $8.5k/meter per pair. Don't worry about plugging them into your system, just drape them around your neck in the general vicinity of your set-up and the cable will do the rest. Don't believe me? ASR's favorite DAC manufacturer can vouch for the WEL signature cables (5:00 min mark) ... "The difference was striking!"

I think the difference he heard was the sound of the money flowing from the customer's pocket to his pocket. He has a lot of sheeple that think he is a G-d of audio.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stay away from that Audioquest nonsense. These are as good as it gets: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a03.html.
Be warned, it takes forever to get anything from Ghent these days. I have a pair of XLR cables on order since May 16 and the tracking information says it's still in Shanghai awaiting air transport and has been since May 18th.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
XLR cables are sold under the category 'Microphone cable' by most music shops.
As long as you don't go for the cheapest connectors, you can hardly go wrong with any.
Connectors from Neutrik, Amphenol or even Rean (Chinese brand owned by Neutrik) are all good.

You may pick your choice from here, or here, or from any similar shop close to your location... including the music shop next door...

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
XLR cables are sold under the category 'Microphone cable' by most music shops.
As long as you don't go for the cheapest connectors, you can hardly go wrong with any.
Connectors from Neutrik, Amphenol or even Rean (Chinese brand owned by Neutrik) are all good.

You may pick your choice from here, or here, or from any similar shop close to your location... including the music shop next door...

Yes, but...
don't use the cheap MUSIC STORE Platinum brand.
The plugs fit badly.
The plugs from the cheapest sssnake thomann.de cables fit way better.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but...
don't use the cheap MUSIC STORE Platinum brand.
The plugs fit badly.
The plugs from the cheapest sssnake thomann.de cables fit way better.
That's why I say 'right connectors'
With this Klotz cable, you tick all the boxes.
I would never spend more for a cable, personally.

All my microphone cables are hand made with Neutrik connectors and Klotz cable.
There are multiple other brands, but that was the easiest for me, all purchased from one single store, including various color rings and tips, to be able to differentiate each cable by a color combo.
I have 60 cables or so. Most are 5 meters.

If you really want to have cables with an audiophile-recognized name on it, you can still spend 12€ more per cable (plus shipping, probably) to purchase some assembled Mogami cable with Neutrik connectors.
For me, it's not worth the extra money, but if it helps you to have a better sleep at night...

But don't mess with the connector quality!

Last edited:

morpheusX

As mentioned in this thread, any Pro-Audio store can build your cables for you.

Just pick a good cable, as Klotz MC5000, Sommer Cable SC-Galileo 238 Plus, Mogami W2549, etc, and some NEUTRIK NC3MXX / NEUTRIK NF3FXX plugs, and rest assured you're using the BEST cables in the market.

philosobyte

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Redco. Redco is a cable shop with an online custom cable configurator where you can choose the exact length, cable, and connector on each end. I typically use Canare cable with Neutrik connectors on both ends, but the custom length definitely came in handy when I wanted a 1-foot XLR cable for my desk mic.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
my thoughts:
a] microphone cables are a sub-set of balanced XLR interconnects. They are optimized for flexibility, low handling noise and robust construction. They cost extra for these properties that you don't need.
b] for connectors use - Neutrik or Switchcraft. (or Amphenol)
c] for bulk cable use - Belden, Canare or Mogami. Chose a Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) or StarQuad with a braided shield.
d] I have read about MonoPrice quality control problems in pro-audio forums.

Top Bottom