• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent inexpensive (relatively) XLR cables

Charles_b

Hello guys, another cable thread I'm afraid!
I am looking for some decent XLR cables for my hifi system. Some of the prices for the "higher end" audiophile cables are just crazy. Is there anyone in China who reverse engineers, for example, what audioquest produce or similar? Has anyone here purchased any XLR cables from China and had good results? Is there anyone specifically who reviews XLR cables?

My budget is £100/$100 (ish per pair) (I need 2 pairs so 4 cables in total).

Many thanks,
Charles

OP
C

Charles_b

I haven't zermak-this will be my first proper hifi system (previously I used a yamaha receiver for music). I will definitely check them out, thanks,
Charles

OP
C

Charles_b

Thanks Jinjuku. I only need 2x0.5 metres and 2x1metre to connect my dac, pre and power amps. From the power amps to speakers, it will be regular speaker cable-I will definitely check them out

OP
C

Charles_b

Thanks franspambot and Mogami. Defiantly something not to expensive to have a look at. I wonder what is so special about the cable that costs as much as a small family car?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Even worse than the price, at least one “high end” audiophile cable maker I know of uses cheap XLR connectors (I don’t know if I’m allowed to name names). Make sure any cable you buy uses name-brand connectors like Neutrik, Switchcraft or Amphenol.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

OP
C

Charles_b

Thanks guy's, really appreciate it. The audiophile gods have delivered again! It's getting late here so I will check back here in the morning,
Charles

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have multiple runs adding up to more than 200 feet of monoprice XLR cables. Haven't had any issues.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I would avoid Hosa based on (much) previous experience. And the cheaper Monoprice cables. Both use shoddy (IMO) connectors and do not properly strain-relieve the wires. I have no experience with more expensive Monoprice; I bought a few of the cheaper (though not cheapest) ones with an order of other parts, and ended up doing a rush order with Sweetwater for something I would trust. I have read reviews elsewhere (e.g. AVS) where folk have liked their Monoprice XLRs so maybe I got a bad batch or didn't go for their higher-end'ish cables. Or they've improved.

Edit: I was typing when @stunta posted... Could you post or link exactly which ones (model) you purchased? Mine were junk but that was also several years ago.

PaulD

Charles, if it was me I'd go to my local pro-audio shop and ask them to make me a couple of XLR cables. They will have Canare and Mogami cable, high quality (e.g. Neutrix) connectors, and they will make what you want. There is no down-side, it's cheaper, supports local suppliers, the quality is superb, etc etc. [Yes, avoid Hosa cables!]

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks franspambot and Mogami. Defiantly something not to expensive to have a look at. I wonder what is so special about the cable that costs as much as a small family car?

Marketing and profit margin.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Design a Cable (UK) builds star quad balanced Van Damme cables with Neutrik XX gold connectors with good prices.

https://www.designacable.com/studio...neutrik-gold-xlr-to-xlr-microphone-leads.html

van_damme_black_starquad_gold_xlrs_shadow.jpg

Or star quad balanced Mogami 2534 with Neutrik XX gold as well.

https://www.designacable.com/studio...iophile-neutrik-balanced-xlr-to-xlr-lead.html

mogami_neglex_2534_starquad_cable._audiophile_neutrik_balanced_xlr_to_xlr_lead.jpg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, you are talking rather short runs. Unless you are sure you want no more than the short length adding length doesn't cost very much. The connectors are most of the cost. Might give you some flexibility in the future. Or if using a tight space the extra cable might just get in the way.

Monoprice Premiere XLRs are those I've used without any problems. They are a bit thicker than other XLR cables. So in this case with such short lengths they may be less flexible than desired. They have ends like this:

1593130278072.png

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just went through this nonsense to find 1 ft XLR Male > XLR Female cables to connect my DAC to Amp and scoured the interwebz:
  • I would avoid buying from Blue Jeans Cable because you are paying an extra premium, and I'm not sure what you are getting other than relatively fast shipping. Same thing with ordering the cables from Benchmark.
  • Ghent Audio has the best prices and variety for Mogami/Canare/Belden cables and Neutrik connectors, but if you are shipping to the US its going to take 3-4 weeks. I ordered a pair of 1 ft cables for $23 total on June 9th and am still waiting for them to arrive.
  • These are Mogami/Neutrik for under $20 each and arrive quickly; you are not going to find a better price shipping to the US except for Ghent Audio. I have been using them for a week and they work great: Mogami Neutrik Ebay
  • If you want to customize the colors on the rings and boots of the Neutrik connectors and don't mind waiting a little longer, this rando shop in LA has Mogami 1 ft cables starting at under $20 each: https://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-m2552-nxlrf-nxlrm-1.htm
However, if you want the best of the best, the Kimber Kable Select 1136 is a steal at $3.3k/meter per pair: Kimber Kable Select . Shipping is free as well. They will raise your IQ, cook you dinner once per week, and grant you 1 wish.

Top Bottom