• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent headphones for a friends son below $200.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well first off, the price for the HD 6 Mix to the OP is < $14. And if he(?) doesn't want to pay that, I might gift 'em. I'm listening to them now and the sound is very closed. There's not much sound stage to these. There's no lack of bass. That's all I can say now. I'll switch to Primephonic from Spotify and look for an edition of Ravel's Piano Trio to compare further.

Reactions: GDK
OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

I definitely don't mind paying the ~$14 and am very thankful that you have even offered that. It is definitely the current direction I am leaning as I don't think it can be beat for him. It also saves him all of his money as I would just pay for it and give them to him (or maybe make him pay the $14 just so he has more respect for the headphones....but probably not).

I just didn't initially want to accept the offer if ultimately these weren't going to fit the goal and be tossed aside in the near future by the kid because they weren't what he was looking for. That isn't fair to VMAT4 and not the type of person I am. But it seems that is not the case here.

Would these be ideal running off of an older macbook output or would a headphone amp be best/needed? If he needs to, he can spend his money on a nice dac/amp combo.

Reactions: PSO

SMc

The NAD Viso HD 50 are too rolled off in the HF IMO, mixes are likely going to be too bright. They are OK mobile headphone for listening no fatigue, but not ideal for mixing. They also have odd design and comfort issues.
This what I was hinting at earlier. The recording engineer-recommended phones I use are the Sony MDR 7506.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x is also widely used.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The recording engineer-recommended phones I use are the Sony MDR 7506.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x is also widely used.

Ah, so that's (one of the many reasons) why a lot of modern tracks sound off and dull...because recording engineers are using headphones with bright and uneven treble.

Headphones higher in the ranking and with a slope closer to zero on this list (e.g. the AKG K371) will likely be perceived to sound more neutral over the entire audible frequency range to the majority of people, be that sound engineers or home listeners.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I researched well before buying the Sennheiser and bought mainly because they where rated to be much more comfy to wear compared the the ATH-M50x. They cost me a little less than 2/3 of retail from Amazon.

Unclevanya

win

HD 280 is dirt cheap these days at around $100, could always start small and go from there. I've had mine for fifteen years now with occasional usage, have even replaced the top band and ear cups twice.

I didn't realize the hd380 was considered such an improvement over it, I'll have to try them out.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
The HD380 are really good. Same driver as the 598? series in a closed can.

vert

Forum Donor
I bought the 280PROs for about $80 recently and find them very good for what you pay, even more so once EQed. I read Sennheiser are releasing the HD 560 S model these days, which according to preliminary reviews is more than very good. It will cost around $200.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
OP, any Sennheiser for $14 is going to be hard to beat. :D

The HD380 are really good. Same driver as the 598? series in a closed can.
I never knew that, but that explains what I hear. A friend had 595s or 598s a while back and those were the closest headphones I could think of in comparison. The 380s have a slight warm tilt and sound more "exciting" than, say, 600s. Pleasant and a bit less analytical but still full of information. They seem to be one of those invisible mid-range models that was passed over by most people outside of the studio/broadcast world, perhaps because they weren't stylish at all.

I bought the 280PROs for about $80 recently and find them very good for what you pay, even more so once EQed. I read Sennheiser are releasing the HD 560 S model these days, which according to preliminary reviews is more than very good. It will cost around $200.
Yes, I found the review @solderdude did of the HD 560s and have to agree. These look like a modern variation of the HD 600 in function; the product page for them on B&H has them listed as "Sennheiser HD 560s Linear Tailored Headphones." The downside for OP is that they are open-back.

HD 280 is dirt cheap these days at around $100, could always start small and go from there. I've had mine for fifteen years now with occasional usage, have even replaced the top band and ear cups twice.

I didn't realize the hd380 was considered such an improvement over it, I'll have to try them out.
Definitely give them a shot if you can. I never clicked with the 280s and found them hard to use as a reference. To me, they sounded dry, flat, narrow. A coworker had the 380s, and after listening to them for 15 minutes I ordered a pair. The fit is more comfortable as well. I still have the 280s and use them occasionally for isolation/tracking.

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Ya. I took VAMT4 up on their offer. I can't beat that deal and am very appreciative. I told my friend that I got a set for his son and he was amazed and thankful for the generosity as well.

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Now the question is, should he invest in a good dac and/or amp? Is that needed for these headphones?

I was thinking he could purchase jds lab atom for $100, but if there is a better dac/amp combo that you all can recommend for ~$150ish.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Seems like a lot of young producers on these dates gravitate toward Macs, and their built-in DAC and headphone outs are pretty good. If he has a PC, it might be an upgrade to get an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for $9 -- basically giving you Apple's DAC and headphone amp in a dongle. You could add a JDS Labs Atom or Topping L30 for more volume. Otherwise, the next upgrade would be going to something like a Topping E30/L30 stack or DX3 Pro (dac/amp combo) in the $250-300 range.

3125b

Major Contributor
Apple uses the same Realtek chipsets anybody else does, and I doubt that the implementation is any better.
They work fine as a DAC, but are strictly current limited and suffer from high output impedances. If that is an issue or not depends on the headphones, the Sennheiser HD 5X8/5X9 are easy enough to drive, but a high output impedance source results in a serious inflation of the upper bass, when they are rather bassy to begin with. He could correct that via EQ of course, or get something like a Meizu HiFi Pro dongle for around 25§ or so, that will work beautifully with any reasonable common headphone (1.8Vrms is fine for almost all of them really, just not something like the 600 Ohm Beyers).
The Apple dongle is somewhat limited in output level, but could be a good alternative either as a DAC fed into an active load or for easy to drive headphones (like the Sennheisers mentioned, they will work fine off of 1Vrms). Similarly to the Sennheiser offerings, the Philipx X2/HR could be an option. Behaves about the same as the HD5X8/5X9, if it can be had cheap at the time (fluctuates, I'd not spend too much money on it since it's not repairable with no parts available, not even original replacement ear pads), look for around 120$/€ or so, same price as the HD 599.
Point is: if he is on a limited budget, there is really no good reason to spend a lot of money on a DAC/amp combo. Just get some headphones that work without it.

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

I already got the Sennheiser HD6 Mix that VAMT4 offered. It will cost the kid nothing for those.

Here are the specs of them and it looks like impedance is around 150ohms.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024948-REG/sennheiser_hd6_mix_headphone.html/specs

So headphones are already figured out.

Now it is should he save his money or would him purchasing a cheaper amp like the jds labs atom amp for $100 be beneficial. He will be running it off of an older (like 2011/12) macbook.

3125b

Major Contributor
Huh, it's discontinued and seems like a very uncommon headphone, I can hardly find anything about it.
Apparently the sensitivity is 112db/1Vrms, so it's easy to drive and with the reasonably high impedance working in its favor - should be fine straight from the laptop or smartphone (older ones anyway) etc.
If anything, he should get a dongle, spending 100$ or more on an amp is not gonna be worth it.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Huh, it's discontinued and seems like a very uncommon headphone, I can hardly find anything about it.
Apparently the sensitivity is 112db/1Vrms, so it's easy to drive and with the reasonably high impedance working in its favor - should be fine straight from the laptop or smartphone (older ones anyway) etc.
If anything, he should get a dongle, spending 100$ or more on an amp is not gonna be worth it.
Exactly my point. :)

Apple uses the same Realtek chipsets anybody else does, and I doubt that the implementation is any better.
Most Apple products use Cirrus Logic chipsets, including the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter I mentioned which uses Cirrus Logic 46L06-CWZR. If you haven't seen ASR's review for it, here it is:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

It gets 99 dB SINAD.

Top Bottom