• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decent behind-the-neck open on-ear Headphones for Cycling

Sonny1

That's right after I bought it. Mine is currently hanging in the garage and is covered in dust.. sawdust from sanding speakers.

I've never been a huge fan of the colorway, it makes me think business casual. It just had all the features I wanted and I got a great deal because it had a paint chip on it behind the crank. I think it's been a year since I've even gone for a ride. I need to sign up for an MS 150 for some motivation. I've certainly thought of selling it to buy more audio gear.

You might want to try the free app Strava. I just do it to track my progress and for motivation. It tells you how well you did versus previous rides on specific segments or against guys your age or everyone who rode the same segment. I’m not crazy like some people and don’t share my rides with anyone because they are nothing special. It’s just a little motivation and tracks your individual and consultative miles.

My bike is red and white with subtle red sparkles in the paint. I hate the color but after thousands of miles and a good fitting, I’ve grown attached to it. The fitting is what really made me fall in love with the bike. And the SRAM Red group set. My friend is a mechanical engineer who became obsessed with wheel making for a while. He made a really nice set of wheels for me that really improved my ride. They are best suited for a guy 20lbs lighter (my weight when I bought them) but they haven’t exploded or needed truing yet! Cheers and hope you get back on the bike.

OP
Florianro

Florianro

I wanted to summarize my experience and what I tested:
- The KSC35 have the best sound quality in my opinion. But the cable is not so convenient and they don't wear so well under a hood (which I wear half of the year)
- I also got a pair of Aftershokz Aeropex as well. The problem there is that the bar that connects the two headphones does not really fit well under a hood and also does not fit well unter my helmet. But I'll use them for running when it rains because they are ip67. The Sound quality is not so good I think.
- So I'll mainly stick to the kamtron: the sound quality is OK and they are easy to wear under a hood and under the helmet

monkeyboy

The wind noise is horrible with open headphones, and may be damaging...I cycle 5-6k a year and use etymotic insertion type IEMs...you can keep the volume super low and still hear traffic...I also use a helmet mounted mirror....

audio2design

Major Contributor
Hello,
Do you know any decent on-ear headphones for cycling? I wear them under the helmet. I hate in-ear and need open ones since I must still hear the traffic... Bluetooth and waterproof would be good as well.
Right now I own a pair of "Kamtron" headphones. They look similar to "Cootree Wireless Headphones". But I thought there might be headphones with a better sound quality...

thanks,
Florian

While there are not many places (yet) in North America at least where wearing headphones while cycling on the road is illegal, generally it is considered a very bad idea, and open-air could only reduce, not eliminate the risk.

OP
Florianro

Florianro

The wind noise is horrible with open headphones, and may be damaging...I cycle 5-6k a year and use etymotic insertion type IEMs...you can keep the volume super low and still hear traffic...I also use a helmet mounted mirror....
That sounds interesting. Which model type are you using? Thanks Florian

monkeyboy

I just use the MK5s for cycling, sound great and not super expensive...I use the foam tips, just wet them a bit before insertion

monkeyboy

I'd have to look at the attenuation curve, but it's really not a problem, the reduction in wind noise is awesome...I'd probably be using ear plugs if these weren't so good...I also ride with a helmet mounted mirror, I don't know how people manage without one...I commuted into Boston from the South Shore for years with this setup....I've been hit a few times, but it had nothing to do with IEMs...people pass on the left, stomp on the break and take a hard right turn in-front of me...

Top Bottom