• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dec 2018, you have less than $500 to spend on a DAC and amp or a combo for headphone listening, what's best?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you're not going to move the DAC much, Khadas Tone Board bare board is an option.

Ok, thanks to those who have replied already. Because it is "bare", I am not that keen on the Kadas option, and as for the CA suggestion, that seemed way more expensier than the alternatives...

I did a quick comparison (cost-wise) online, including cables and (where needed) a mounting rack and I ended up with the following 4 options:

Option 1 > D10 DAC + JDS Labs Atom (+ cables, rack, transport) = € 350,70

Option 2 > A30 Amp + D30 DAC stack (+ cables, rack, transport) = € 385,30

Option 3 > DX30PRO (Standalone) (+ RCA Cable, transport) = € 286,50

Option 4 > D50 DAC + JDS Labs Atom (+ cables, rack, transport) = € 516,80

I'm split between Options 1 and 3. Option 2 seems to be the weakest performante (please correct me wrong if you don't think so), and Option 4, although probably the better quality one, is a stretch in terms of budget. So the big question is (I supppose): How well does the DX30PRO Amp section performs against the JDS Labs Atom? Does the 64,20 € difference justifies to go to Option 1?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
DX3 Pro amp is slightly less capable than Atom. In exchange though you get a nice, integrated unit without a mess of wires and boxes. The amp in DX3 Pro is highly capable though including for the headphone you have. So that remains my recommendation and what I use personally.

Thank you Amir.

Do you see any other interesting alternatives (either all-in-one or DAC + Amp) that I did not covered, that are advisable for the HE400i?

Also, there might be an opportunity in future to switch the HE400i for a Audeze LCD-2. IS DX30 Pro still adequated to it?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The step up would be SMSL SU-8 Version 2 plus THX AAA amplifier. I don't have an LCD-2 so can't vouch for it but DX3 Pro is quite powerful and at any rate, you can always pair an amp with it and use it as a DAC alone.

Thank you again Amir. Not trying to push on your patience, do you reckon the DX30PRO (as a DAC) superior to the D10 - apart from the capability of decoding higher resolution DSD files?

Also, your suggestion above is interesting: SMSL SU-8 is on the same price range the DX30Pro is. Would the SMSL SU-8 + JDS Labs Atom a good choice (perhaps better?) than the DX30PRO alone?

Finally what would your rate as top 3 DACs and Amps, considering performance vs price?

Thank you once again.

artismo

Thank you Amir.

Do you see any other interesting alternatives (either all-in-one or DAC + Amp) that I did not covered, that are advisable for the HE400i?

Also, there might be an opportunity in future to switch the HE400i for a Audeze LCD-2. IS DX30 Pro still adequated to it?
Is that the LCD2 pre-Fazor or Classic?

Tyll at Innerfidelity covered the Classic, saying:
“Isolation plot is typical for an open headphone. With 110mVrms needed to achieve 90dB at the ear, these headphones will be driven to useable levels with a portable source.”
^https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...c-headphones-measurements#lX6aIMZlww5WRFjE.99

He also covered the pre-Fazor:
“Impedance and phase plots are essentially ruler flat--like all planar magnetics. At about 60 Ohms impedance and 200mVrms required to drive these cans to 90dBspl, these are not headphones to drive out of your iPhone or iPad. Isolation is very low. No, these are not commuter headphones.”

^https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...-2-and-lcd-3-measurements#9XQloGTp6xv6qLJr.99

At 70ohm nominal for the Classic headphones and 60ohm for the originals, with Amir’s measurements on the DX3-
High gain, 300ohm: 123milliwatts
High gain, 33ohm: 570milliwatts
I’m sure both headphones fall in line with the output of the DX3’s capability.

Speaking of which, I’m in the process of acquiring the Classic myself on a blind buy to replace my HE4XX. I’m basing my decision on measurements from Innerfidelity and Rtings since I don’t have a showroom nearby to audition them. If you’ve heard them, I’d be interested in your impressions.

Is that the LCD2 pre-Fazor or Classic?

Tyll at Innerfidelity covered the Classic, saying:
“Isolation plot is typical for an open headphone. With 110mVrms needed to achieve 90dB at the ear, these headphones will be driven to useable levels with a portable source.”
^https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...c-headphones-measurements#lX6aIMZlww5WRFjE.99

He also covered the pre-Fazor:
“Impedance and phase plots are essentially ruler flat--like all planar magnetics. At about 60 Ohms impedance and 200mVrms required to drive these cans to 90dBspl, these are not headphones to drive out of your iPhone or iPad. Isolation is very low. No, these are not commuter headphones.”

^https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...-2-and-lcd-3-measurements#9XQloGTp6xv6qLJr.99

At 70ohm nominal for the Classic headphones and 60ohm for the originals, with Amir’s measurements on the DX3-
High gain, 300ohm: 123milliwatts
High gain, 33ohm: 570milliwatts
I’m sure both headphones fall in line with the output of the DX3’s capability.

Speaking of which, I’m in the process of acquiring the Classic myself on a blind buy to replace my HE4XX. I’m basing my decision on measurements from Innerfidelity and Rtings since I don’t have a showroom nearby to audition them. If you’ve heard them, I’d be interested in your impressions.

Hello

The LCD2 is a pre-fazor. I am still on the fence about it.

I was (am?) gonna buy it also blind. It was an opportunity to gave them at the same price as the classics.

skcheng

Forum Donor
I have bamboo LCD-2.2 pre-fazor and I really enjoy them. I also own LCD-3 fazor and they're very nice as well. Just bought the LCD-3s, but so far, the LCD-2.2 see more use. I have a Schiit Lyr3 that matches pretty well and just purchased the TXH 789 amp along with a Topping D50, but so far haven't really used the D50 since I'm having issues installing drivers on my computer. Hopefully I'll figure all of that out this wknd.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd echo the suggestions of the group here. Jds atom gives planars with a difficult top end like he400i a new life.

All you need is to feed any SINAD 100+ dac into it to reach nirvana. I'll always favor something with great customer support to save myself endless debugging on the internet...

tlr

I'd look at the March DAC 1. It can drive phones if the load isn't extreme. Way good DAC.

Just a reminder the March DAC1 is a Khadas Tone Board in a very nice case, minus the coaxial input, for $350 instead of $100.

Top Bottom