• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Debating my next 'audiophile' bookshelf speaker purchase.

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

You will want to install Equalizer APO, then PEACE, which is a new GUI for it. You can save the filters from REW and import them there to run at startup on your PC.
Awesome thanks for that - I've made some adjustments using this on my PC with the Edifier S350DBs, and I do believe that i have a flatter response now.

Although we'll need to repeat the measurements with a UMIK-1, etc.

EDIT: It's not much... but it's something? It was measured at different volumes, etc.. first pic is pre REW and the next two are post REW

pre REW.jpg

POst REW 2.jpg

post rew 3.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-27 141936.png

Last edited:
OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

You will want to install Equalizer APO, then PEACE, which is a new GUI for it. You can save the filters from REW and import them there to run at startup on your PC.
Even with this cheap mic and a bit of playing around, it's creates a LOT of difference to the musical listening experience..

In your opinion, do you feel that a MiniDSP 2x4 HD + Dirac will be of much value to me, or that i should stick to a UMIK-1 for now?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Either way, get the UMIK-1. You'd use it for Dirac later if you decide to go that route.

And here's a tip for measuring at the desk. Use the moving mic method to create an average using the RTA window in REW. There was a thread here on it. You'll start the RTA with the right averaging settings then move your mic through the area back and forth using circular patterns, maybe 6-12" wide. You stop the RTA after 20 seconds or so and save that result as a measurement. When you equalize an average, you EQ what's truly bad and avoid little bits that change every inch of mic movement. That is how Audyssey, Dirac, and others work.

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Either way, get the UMIK-1. You'd use it for Dirac later if you decide to go that route.

And here's a tip for measuring at the desk. Use the moving mic method to create an average using the RTA window in REW. There was a thread here on it. You'll start the RTA with the right averaging settings then move your mic through the area back and forth using circular patterns, maybe 6-12" wide. You stop the RTA after 20 seconds or so and save that result as a measurement. When you equalize an average, you EQ what's truly bad and avoid little bits that change every inch of mic movement. That is how Audyssey, Dirac, and others work.
Yeah, so I went with the UMIK-1 solo which cost me $165ish dollars AUD (delivered) - I honestly think that REW + the other free programs will be sufficient to my needs at this point in time.

The option for Dirac live, Mini 2x4 HD, and the UMIK0-1 was like $700 AUD delivered...

Sure, I will make sure to do that and post pics as soon as i do some measurements with the mic - at that point i'll have my USB extender and use the UMIK on my stereo.

In the meantime, I've been playing around with the REW + Peace EQ even more and gotten even better results.. it really does sound better.. amazing how much a little wisdom and knowledge being imparted can make to my listening experience!

Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to help me with these settings !!

Pre EQ
Aug 28 pre EQ 1.jpg

Post EQ
Aug 28 post EQ 2.jpg

Attachments

• Aug 28 post EQ 1.jpg
    Aug 28 post EQ 1.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Matthias McCready

So i've been in this hobby for only about 8 or 9 months now and it's been a pretty good trip - started off with some Logitech Z623s, then went to a Edifier S350DB, expanding to some Wharfedale crystals and a Yamaha V6A, SVS SB1000, then added a Cambridge Audio Azur 550A, which i think sounds spectacular.

Now I have 'that itch' again and am considering purchasing some 'upper echelon' bookshelves.

I may be cutting against the grain here, but... ;)

1. I am a big fan of "buy once, cry once." Unless you have a use for something down the road, buying something new that is cheaper for right now to upgrade later probably isn't cheaper anymore, and a domesticated domicile only fits so many speakers, personally I am pretty reticent about new equipment now, as it means finding a place to put it.

2. Realize that you are going to a hit a point of diminishing returns with higher-end equipment, I am not saying you are there yet; however it is something to keep in mind. My high-end equipment sure sounds better than my inexpensive stuff, but how many times better???

3. It can be really easy to be consumed with equipment or gear acquisition. Some audiophiles are always buying something new; conversely some are always doing some new mod. I am not saying these habits are wrong, however it can be a huge money and time hole, and it can be entirely beside the point, which I think we could all agree is the music itself.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but just a few thoughts and cautions before you dive into something new. :)

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So below is a measurement that i've just taken of my Wharfedale Crystal 4.3s, using the UMIK-1..

Going to spend an hour or two taking more measurements with REQ, working out an average, then putting the right EQ adjustments into the Peace EQ.

I'm also going to post the adjustments that i've made to the PC speakers with REW and the UMIK-1..

Probably the cheapest way to gain a boost in performance.

Crystal 4.3s UMIK-1 measurement.jpg

I may be cutting against the grain here, but... ;)

1. I am a big fan of "buy once, cry once." Unless you have a use for something down the road, buying something new that is cheaper for right now to upgrade later probably isn't cheaper anymore, and a domesticated domicile only fits so many speakers, personally I am pretty reticent about new equipment now, as it means finding a place to put it.

2. Realize that you are going to a hit a point of diminishing returns with higher-end equipment, I am not saying you are there yet; however it is something to keep in mind. My high-end equipment sure sounds better than my inexpensive stuff, but how many times better???

3. It can be really easy to be consumed with equipment or gear acquisition. Some audiophiles are always buying something new; conversely some are always doing some new mod. I am not saying these habits are wrong, however it can be a huge money and time hole, and it can be entirely beside the point, which I think we could all agree is the music itself.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, but just a few thoughts and cautions before you dive into something new. :)
Yeah, i think that my next pair of speakers will probably have to cost a bit more, so i am going to play around with REQ, UMIK-1, and various room correction settings.

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

One example of how the UMIK-1, REW, and the Peace EQ add value - please look at below graph for example.

Please keep in mind that these Edifier speakers are good for what they are at $60 AUD (USD $40ish), brand-new - this EQ just added 100s of dollars of value onto them.
Edifier P17s UMIK-1 PreEQ.jpg

Edifier P17s UMIK-1 PostEQ.jpg

Top Bottom