• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Debating my next 'audiophile' bookshelf speaker purchase.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So i've been in this hobby for only about 8 or 9 months now and it's been a pretty good trip - started off with some Logitech Z623s, then went to a Edifier S350DB, expanding to some Wharfedale crystals and a Yamaha V6A, SVS SB1000, then added a Cambridge Audio Azur 550A, which i think sounds spectacular.

Now I have 'that itch' again and am considering purchasing some 'upper echelon' bookshelves.

I've considered the following speakers (please feel free to add more suggestions)...

- Wharfedale 12.2s.
- Klipsch RP-500s or RP-600s.
- Kef Q150s or Q350s.
- Monitor Audio Bronze 100s.
- ELAC B6.2s.

The ones that i've considered the most are the KEFs, mostly due to their Uni-Q driver array - otherwise, the Wharfedale Diamonds might offer the best price : performance ratio.... and the bronze 100s seem to be quite cheap and offer everything that the 'silver' range does.

Will any of these speakers perform better than my Wharfedale Crystal 4.3s, or would i need to shop in a price category above these to notice a 'real' or even 'drastic' change(s) in performance?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you want something for music or home theater? The ideal music system is "neutral", while the ideal home theater system is "exciting". Big difference. Jim
I would disagree. They should both be neutral. Just one may have higher SPL demands. Content adds the excitement :)

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I have 'that itch' again and am considering purchasing some 'upper echelon' bookshelves.
That statement seems to contradict this list:

- Wharfedale 12.2s.
- Klipsch RP-500s or RP-600s.
- Kef Q150s or Q350s.
- Monitor Audio Bronze 100s.
- ELAC B6.2s.

While none of these are what I would consider "upper echelon" (which is a nebulous term without some filters put on it anyway), there are some good choices.

However, you can do better. In my book, some of the best under $1000/pair are, in no order:

Revel M16
Arendal 1961
Polk R200
ELAC DBR62

Is this a nearfield setup?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Why wouldn't you stick to index/scores you have here?
Just to add QA Q3030i to a comment above as a budget proposal. Which depending where you live you can get for even for 280~316 € pair on discount now.

posvibes

I have the Klipsch RP160m's , and man I have wanted to like them, I really have, and I will say this about them, in capturing the ambience in and around recorded instruments whether in studio or live performance they are exceptional, I haven't owned any speakers or heard any speakers that can do that as good as the Klipsch. That horn tweeter in the wave guide is something else a pity the rest of the box of bits just don't match the exceptional tweeter.

That said without EQ or even with the EQ that @amirm provided in the review of the 600m's I do not consider them "audiophile", and it's a shame. IMV(ery)HO scratch 'em from your list.

But I will take this opportunity to aks if any one has PEQ settings for the 160m's to make them what they are not, I'm all ears!

Good luck on your journey, take special notice of many of the older hands available here on this site, it will save you not just $$$$ but a good part of your sanity.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are you located? That can affect choices/budget.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add QA Q3030i to a comment above as a budget proposal. Which depending where you live you can get for even for 280~316 € pair on discount now.
Hmm...the directivity is pretty wonky, maybe that's why I didn't have it on my list?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you live in the US, start with the Studio 530’s. That lets you have more budget to work on other things.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hmm...the directivity is pretty wonky, maybe that's why I didn't have it on my list?
Well Polk R200 isn't great regarding directivity either. Elac DBR62 isn't easy to drive, KEF's tend to fall rather low regarding impedance and so on. Anyway I think Q3030i are under rated for what they provide, especially taking price in consideration.
I will soon find out as I ordered a pair (couldn't resist for a bargaining price). Subjective listening R200 did sound better to me over Q3030i but I didn't had a control over placement and such. Ended up actually concerned R200 had a bit to much rattling (long impulse response time) in lows. There is a small deficit in the uper mids and a classical Z-wing (peak - deap) around 1200 Hz with Q3030i but I think it's easy one to fix (either with PEQ or cut under 45 Hz to keep port resonance under control even better both) but that's about it. If I tell you how recently measured Genelac S360 exhibited the same in calculated room response and got a rather high recommendations then at least consider that as a not big thing.
Best regards.

Edit: I forgot about Reveal's M16 recently which are about 650 € where I am but rest of my recommendation list is the same as yours.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having kicked around the bookshelf speaker space for quite a few years I can only recommend what I have done myself. Get a pair of Genelec or Neuman powered monitors to suit your application and a matching sub. You wont have to worry about upgrading anymore :)

Freeway

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having kicked around the bookshelf speaker space for quite a few years I can only recommend what I have done myself. Get a pair of Genelec or Neuman powered monitors to suit your application and a matching sub. You wont have to worry about upgrading anymore :)
But you'll have another problem. What to do for the other 11 speakers? :facepalm:

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

That statement seems to contradict this list:

While none of these are what I would consider "upper echelon" (which is a nebulous term without some filters put on it anyway), there are some good choices.

However, you can do better. In my book, some of the best under $1000/pair are, in no order:

Revel M16
Arendal 1961
Polk R200
ELAC DBR62

Is this a nearfield setup?
That's totally cool and respect your opinion regarding what is 'upper echelon' and what is not - to put things into perspective for you, i consider my wharfedale crystal(s) pretty frikken good, and they are Wharfedales entry level speakers... with the Diamonds being their 'sorta best', but most popular.
Which index scores? Have you tried QA Q3030i's and how do they compare to 'the rest'?
Where are you located? That can affect choices/budget.
Australia
Well Polk R200 isn't great regarding directivity either. Elac DBR62 isn't easy to drive, KEF's tend to fall rather low regarding impedance and so on. Anyway I think Q3030i are under rated for what they provide, especially taking price in consideration.
I will soon find out as I ordered a pair (couldn't resist for a bargaining price). Subjective listening R200 did sound better to me over Q3030i but I didn't had a control over placement and such. Ended up actually concerned R200 had a bit to much rattling (long impulse response time) in lows. There is a small deficit in the uper mids and a classical Z-wing (peak - deap) around 1200 Hz with Q3030i but I think it's easy one to fix (either with PEQ or cut under 45 Hz to keep port resonance under control even better both) but that's about it. If I tell you how recently measured Genelac S360 exhibited the same in calculated room response and got a rather high recommendations then at least consider that as a not big thing.
Best regards.

Edit: I forgot about Reveal's M16 recently which are about 650 € where I am but rest of my recommendation list is the same as yours.
Hmmm do you think that the Q3030i are better than Q150s?
Having kicked around the bookshelf speaker space for quite a few years I can only recommend what I have done myself. Get a pair of Genelec or Neuman powered monitors to suit your application and a matching sub. You wont have to worry about upgrading anymore:)
Yeah but isn't 90% of the fun about buying and trying out different speakers? Your solution is sort of like somebody saying "just map-hack bro, it's the best".

delta76

Major Contributor
Do you want something for music or home theater? The ideal music system is "neutral", while the ideal home theater system is "exciting". Big difference. Jim
with a neutral speaker, you can EQ it much easier to your taste. A good speaker is a good speaker, for music or for HT.

@OT: Klipsch is overwhelmingly popular for HT, because they are cheap (really really cheap with sales), and they are very easy to drive (most have 95dB or more sensitivity). If your system is strictly for HT, then I would say it's not a bad choice, because in HT, accuracy is not as important as the sound effect - i.e. the more the merrier

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

with a neutral speaker, you can EQ it much easier to your taste. A good speaker is a good speaker, for music or for HT.

@OT: Klipsch is overwhelmingly popular for HT, because they are cheap (really really cheap with sales), and they are very easy to drive (most have 95dB or more sensitivity). If your system is strictly for HT, then I would say it's not a bad choice, because in HT, accuracy is not as important as the sound effect - i.e. the more the merrier
I already have a great home theatre (AND music) set up - i'm just looking and doing my research for 'something new'...

The Q acoustics seems OK actually - found some ex-demo models for only $550 AUD.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah but isn't 90% of the fun about buying and trying out different speakers? Your solution is sort of like somebody saying "just map-hack bro, it's the best".

My aim has always been to accurately reproduce what was recorded. That objective moved me through all sorts of different bits of gear and approaches over the years, including all sorts of speakers. Fun yes, but expensive and sometimes frustrating......I personally wish someone had pointed me towards studio monitors earlier in my journey.

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

My aim has always been to accurately reproduce what was recorded. That objective moved me through all sorts of different bits of gear and approaches over the years, including all sorts of speakers. Fun yes, but expensive and sometimes frustrating......I personally wish someone had pointed me towards studio monitors earlier in my journey.
Hmmmmm yeah, i get what you're saying for sure, but it's like telling a car collector to 'just buy an enzo ferrari' and be 'done with it'..

Which genlecs do you recommend anyway?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@NewbieAudiophileExpert well Q150s have same thing happening maybe a bit earlier (around 1100 Hz) it doesn't faid of axes with them. They fall lower at 200 Hz to about 3.4 Ohm's (Q3030i stays at 3.9~4). Q150 holds better in low bass up to 50 Hz but it compresses more you play it louder, has a high harmonic distortion on a 86 dB level and it's step response is rather slow. Interesting for me are sealed cabinet mesurument where it improves in various things but it loses the bass so with sub it's an interesting choice that way. To be fair it's a 5.5" vs 6.5" driver's in this case and Q3030i has a lot bigger cabinet.
In the end you need to listen to both and make your own judgement.
This index with preference rating as a key and from there to reading review and measurements. Pick speakers from menu.
You didn't tell us what's the amplifier you tend to use (or at least I didn't read it).
If it's beffy enough (100W or more) Elac DBR62 are a rather good choice (at least I think so) for some 500€ if you can find them in Australia for the price of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom