• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DDRC24 - Dirac + Minidsp

Grierts

I have the following setup:

CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER - Emotiva Airmotiv C2+
AVR / RECIEVER - Yamaha RX V681
LR SPEAKERS - Emotiva Airmotiv B1+
SUBWOOFERS - SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2
REAR SPEAKERS - NEUMI BS5
DDRC24 Minidsp (with Dirac) & CSL UMIK1

My question is what guide should I follow to setup my Subs ?

The one from Minidsp.pdf

Or is there a better video / website guide ?

Also, I do believe that I can only calibrate my subs and nothing else, is this proper? or can I also calibrate 2 other inputs ?

Im new to all of this so, what is the best way of going about this ??

Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
How do you plan to use miniDSP DDRC-24 with the AVR?

I have a miniDSP DDRC-24 based system on my patio with two Revel M80XC speakers powered by Nobsound TPA3255 amplifier and a subwoofer. Dirac Live is the real deal - it crushed in sound quality any calibration I could muster manually with REW for 10 IIR filters in miniDSP. Extremely easy to use and customize.

MiniDSP can calibrate only two channels so you can do this to create a Dirac Live calibrated 2.2 setup with miniDSP crossover for the subwoofers while keeping a regular surround home theater setup without miniDSP in the path and only AVR calibration.

[Player - PC/tablet, etc.] ---USB---> [miniDSP DDRC-24] ---RCA---> [AVR] -> [speakers]

[AVR] ---RCA--->[L][Subwoofers][R] <---RCA--- [miniDSP DDRC-24]

When you switch the AVR to "Pure Direct" mode that turns it into a pure amplifier without DSP and no subwoofer output (all AVRs have such a mode) and switch to the line in input from the miniDSP, you have a miniDSP managed bass with flexible crossovers and amplified stereo speakers on the line out. Adjust subwoofer level by ear, then measure with Dirac Live and customize the curve - the default one is a bit lean on bass, you can push it up a 2-4dB up starting from lowest frequency sloping down until 0dB at 200Hz or google for Dirac curves, preferably similar to Harman's. If bass seems lean on the measurements you can increase volume on the subwoofer or miniDSP line outs to AVR and re-measure. Kaboom - you have Dirac-calibrated stereo setup with two subwoofers. I bet you are going to love how it sounds!

Notes:
- Most subwoofers can be connected to two different inputs by having them connected to L and R input. I use that in my system without issues. I'm not very familiar with electronics to know if there are potential issues with that, my intuition tells me probably not.
- Essentially you will have two systems - one miniDSP-based well-calibrated stereo with 2 subwoofers where AVR is amplifier and one purely AVR-managed surround sound system.
- Don't forget to add -10 to -8dB adjustment on the speaker outputs to allow headroom for Dirac Live EQ. Value is depending on the highest boost Dirac would do based on measured and the chosen target curve.
- miniDSP also has RCA and optical inputs so more devices can be connected to it and it can be used as preamp. Sadly it does not have a physical volume button or a screen that shows current volume.

Downsides:
- While using miniDSP as input you need to fix the volume of the AVR to maximum level (0dB) and use miniDSP as preamp to control volume.
- In this setup if you change volume of the receiver the volume of subwoofers will not change as it is controlled by miniDSP. In miniDSP mode AVR volume is at max and should not be changed.
- miniDSP DDRC-24 does not have a physical volume button or any way to show the current volume on a screen. I hate that in my miniDSP DDRC-24-based system, almost a deal-breaker for my patio setup. Sounds so good though and any upgrades would be expensive for that convenience so I'll enjoy what I have.
Unless if I seriously decide to go along with a project I'm seriously considering - create a Raspberry PI + Arduino + volume knob + LCD screen device that can be used as miniDSP volume control with LCD touchscreen that connects by USB. Well beyond my electronics pay grade. I know you would want one too.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why did you buy DDRC-24 instead of 2*4 HD if you’re only going to use it to integrate subs?

even 2*4 is good enough.

if you’re still in the return window i really think you should return it.

OP
G

Grierts

How do you plan to use miniDSP DDRC-24 with the AVR?

I have a miniDSP DDRC-24 based system on my patio with two Revel M80XC speakers powered by Nobsound TPA3255 amplifier and a subwoofer. Dirac Live is the real deal - it crushed in sound quality any calibration I could muster manually with REW for 10 IIR filters in miniDSP. Extremely easy to use and customize.

MiniDSP can calibrate only two channels so you can do this to create a Dirac Live calibrated 2.2 setup with miniDSP crossover for the subwoofers while keeping a regular surround home theater setup without miniDSP in the path and only AVR calibration.

[Player - PC/tablet, etc.] ---USB---> [miniDSP DDRC-24] ---RCA---> [AVR] -> [speakers]

[AVR] ---RCA--->[L][Subwoofers][R] <---RCA--- [miniDSP DDRC-24]

When you switch the AVR to "Pure Direct" mode that turns it into a pure amplifier without DSP and no subwoofer output (all AVRs have such a mode) and switch to the line in input from the miniDSP, you have a miniDSP managed bass with flexible crossovers and amplified stereo speakers on the line out. Adjust subwoofer level by ear, then measure with Dirac Live and customize the curve - the default one is a bit lean on bass, you can push it up a 2-4dB up starting from lowest frequency sloping down until 0dB at 200Hz or google for Dirac curves, preferably similar to Harman's. If bass seems lean on the measurements you can increase volume on the subwoofer or miniDSP line outs to AVR and re-measure. Kaboom - you have Dirac-calibrated stereo setup with two subwoofers. I bet you are going to love how it sounds!

Notes:
- Most subwoofers can be connected to two different inputs by having them connected to L and R input. I use that in my system without issues. I'm not very familiar with electronics to know if there are potential issues with that, my intuition tells me probably not.
- Essentially you will have two systems - one miniDSP-based well-calibrated stereo with 2 subwoofers where AVR is amplifier and one purely AVR-managed surround sound system.
- Don't forget to add -10 to -8dB adjustment on the speaker outputs to allow headroom for Dirac Live EQ. Value is depending on the highest boost Dirac would do based on measured and the chosen target curve.
- miniDSP also has RCA and optical inputs so more devices can be connected to it and it can be used as preamp. Sadly it does not have a physical volume button or a screen that shows current volume.

Downsides:
- While using miniDSP as input you need to fix the volume of the AVR to maximum level (0dB) and use miniDSP as preamp to control volume.
- In this setup if you change volume of the receiver the volume of subwoofers will not change as it is controlled by miniDSP. In miniDSP mode AVR volume is at max and should not be changed.
- miniDSP DDRC-24 does not have a physical volume button or any way to show the current volume on a screen. I hate that in my miniDSP DDRC-24-based system, almost a deal-breaker for my patio setup. Sounds so good though and any upgrades would be expensive for that convenience so I'll enjoy what I have.
Unless if I seriously decide to go along with a project I'm seriously considering - create a Raspberry PI + Arduino + volume knob + LCD screen device that can be used as miniDSP volume control with LCD touchscreen that connects by USB. Well beyond my electronics pay grade. I know you would want one too.

Sheesh man, You dropped a lot of knowledge.

I was messign around with it last night.

I ran Dirac Live 3 on one of my subwoofers. (Right now I only have 2 RCA/Subwoofer Cables)

When you said Dirac - "the default one is a bit lean on bass"

This is soo true, I was quite underwhelmed with how tiny my bass sounded after config. I chose the 17 point config measurements.

One question, I would absolutely love your help on this.

If I have 2 subs, that is two outputs. Which speakers should I also use with dirac ? L/R or the center channel ??

OP
G

Grierts

Why did you buy DDRC-24 instead of 2*4 HD if you’re only going to use it to integrate subs?

even 2*4 is good enough.

I mean It has Dirac Live, But I could also adjust two other channels.

I am unsure which though ?

L/R Speakers or include the center channel as well ???

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean It has Dirac Live, But I could also adjust two other channels.

I am unsure which though ?

L/R Speakers or include the center channel as well ???

You can’t really adjust two other channels, you only have two inputs for Dirac.

So you have to make some choices, put L and R as ‘Large’ Speakers in the AVR so low frequency information would be passed along and then use the MiniDSP to create an LFE channel.

So either Center + LFE corrected, or L+R corrected and LFE generated in MiniDSP.

i can help you with either of these choices.

Ultimately the best thing to do is get a Dirac enabled AVR so all channels get corrected.

OP
G

Grierts

You can’t really adjust two other channels, you only have two inputs for Dirac.

So you have to make some choices, put L and R as ‘Large’ Speakers in the AVR so low frequency information would be passed along and then use the MiniDSP to create an LFE channel.

So either Center + LFE corrected, or L+R corrected and LFE generated in MiniDSP.

i can help you with either of these choices.

Ultimately the best thing to do is get a Dirac enabled AVR so all channels get corrected.

The new Onkyo and Pioneer AVR look sooo promising !!!!

I will probably get the TX-RZ50.

I would love your help !!

One problem.

My current AVR, I am unable to get the on screen menu to display. (Yamaha RX-V681)
Meaning I am unable to configure the AVR settings :(

I have tried everything, not looking for help with this, just that I will probably have to wait until I get a new AVR to properly set this up.

(and No I am also unable to access the Yamaha AVR webpage)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can't access your AVR setup page then you have to let it go lol. and use the three inputs on the DDRC-24 (USB, Optical or Analog) from now on and the DDRC-24 for volume control.

I run a 2.2 setup with the DDRC-24 and this is pretty much what the 'end result' will look like. If you don't understand what any of these things mean or how to do them then I can go a step back.

1624709642974.png

1624709652284.png

1624709672858.png

Reactions: GDK
OP
G

Grierts

Yeah, I honestly just bought everything.

I bought the AVR from EBAY, and it came defective. Seller gave it to me for free.

I was contemplating getting another in between AVR, but I will wait and just get a new 2021 model.

This is a newb/beginner question.

But the DDRC24 only has Subwoofer/RCA cable inputs/outputs.

How do you hook a speaker up to it ? All my speakers have the red/black inputs and I used 16gauge rca cables with the Banana clips.

How could I connect them to my dsp ???

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I honestly just bought everything.

I bought the AVR from EBAY, and it came defective. Seller gave it to me for free.

I was contemplating getting another in between AVR, but I will wait and just get a new 2021 model.

This is a newb/beginner question.

But the DDRC24 only has Subwoofer/RCA cable inputs/outputs.

How do you hook a speaker up to it ? All my speakers have the red/black inputs and I used 16gauge rca cables with the Banana clips.

How could I connect them to my dsp ???

aaah you have to use the amplifiers in your AVR (if the AVR has Pre-ins) or get dedicated amplifiers.

OP
G

Grierts

aaah you have to use the amplifiers in your AVR (if the AVR has Pre-ins) or get dedicated amplifiers.

ahhhh that makes more sense.

Not trying to bother you, but does my current aVR have pre-ins ??

1624710329359.png

1624710446686.png

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
ahhhh that makes more sense.
Not trying to bother you, but does my current aVR have pre-ins ??

Audio 1 and 2 look like inputs that you can connect miniDSP left and right speaker channel. You will need to configure the AVR to use them as input and preferably choose Direct mode to bypass any AVR processing and use it just as a 2 channel amplifier.

Subwoofers can be connected to miniDSP channel 3 and 4, use crossover settings like abdo123's recommendation above to start, tune them by ear or measure with REW and UMIK to see which crossover fills the bass best and set the proper subwoofer volume level.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor

even 2*4 is good enough.

DDRC-24 has Dirac Live and it is the best solution for room correction and EQ. Totally worth the $200 on top of miniDSP 2x4HD. I myself upgraded mine for Dirac and I couldn't be happier with its performance. Only missing the physical volume and display.

Top Bottom