• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DDRC-24 - Dirac Live on a budget?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello regarding the comment above "If all you wanted it for was to manage multiple subs, you could just run the low end into the DDRC (via analog in) and use the matrix to create four controllable sub channels with dac and eq."
If using Dirac which routing scheme would you suggest? (see images) The reason I ask is because Dirac wants to level calibrate in both channels. However the monaural combination seems to defeat the time domain concept of Dirac.
This is a very interesting question but i'm not sure the 'answer' is easy.

You could follow my guide above and reduce the 4 subwoofers to 2 subwoofers (with the delays and SPL matching), and then use each input for each one of the two new subwoofers. this way you have split the correction.

This way you can still have some sort of meaningful Time domain correction. It's a bit complicated, let me know

start with this, copy the delay and gain to outputs.

1636482324046.png

do the same thing again but with this.

1636482393564.png

One more time but with this, this is your 'final' Dirac calibration:

1636482137484.png

Then after the previous one you just change the matrix to this (and reduce each output by -3 dB because)

index.php

tiagobdonoso

Okay, I'm going to describe in full detail what i did, and you can adjust to make it work for your setup.

I have a 2.2 setup, Output 1 is Left, Output 2 is Right, Output 3 is first sub, output 4 is second sub.

I first began by setting Dirac 1 to output 3 / first sub, and Dirac 2 to output 4 / second sub.
View attachment 150791

I ran the (first of many) Dirac calibration, i only measured the centre position that Dirac uses to set the gains and delays, i hit next, i hit generate filter (target curve doesn't matter, we only want the delays).

After the 'calibration' is over, i go back to the miniDSP interface and check the delays and gains here that were generated by Dirac.

index.php

Then I copy whatever delays Dirac generated to their respective output in the outputs tab

View attachment 150809

my subwoofers were already gain matched before i started, so i did not use the gain adjustments Dirac suggested, as SPL matching is not necessary when you have the two subwoofers gain matched.

gain matching your subwoofers means that if both of your subwoofers would be in identical locations in the room, they would produce the same output / frequency response. SPL matching is matching the average SPL of two subwoofers in two different locations in the room, it's less effective and it's what a digital processor can do.

So now we go to our next step, aligning the left speaker to the 'subwoofer' which is the summation of first subwoofer and second subwoofer.

so after you have manually typed in the delay from the first calibration into its respective output in the outputs tab in the MiniDSP software, we go ahead for calibration number two

Dirac 1 is left speaker / output 1
Dirac 2 is 'subwoofer' / output 3 + output 4

View attachment 150792

Similarily, we take the delay that Dirac came up with and we put it in its respective output in the outputs tab in the MiniDSP software.

Again we do a third calibration,

Dirac 1 is right speaker / output 2
Dirac 2 is 'subwoofer' / output 3 + output 4

View attachment 150793

After we copy the third and final delay into the outputs, this is a good time for crossovers, if your speakers have meaningful low frequency output above 40Hz, and you would like to keep them running to have more low frequency sources and further smoothen your bass response then there is no need for a crossover.

Now we run THE Dirac calibration, the final and last calibration with the following routing matrix.

View attachment 150794

and voila! subwoofer integration complete!

I will probably make a more comprehensive thread in the future about the optimal target curve and stuff for Dirac, I experimented A LOT and i feel like a lot of people can make use of that as well.
Hi Abdo123, thanks for the ideas!
One question: I only have one sub. If I do the time alignment through REW, with acoustic timing reference on (I use Umik-1), the result will be the same? I'm asking because my miniDsp hasn't arrived yet, so I can't check. You found out that through Dirac is the best way? And, if I got it right, you delay the mains, setting the subwoofer as the reference point, correct?
I've been following your posts, it would be awesome if you could make that guide. I'm kinda lost with all the phase, alignment, xo, and I think I'm not the only layman that gets lost in so many threads.
Thank you for your help so far!

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Hello regarding the comment above "If all you wanted it for was to manage multiple subs, you could just run the low end into the DDRC (via analog in) and use the matrix to create four controllable sub channels with dac and eq."
If using Dirac which routing scheme would you suggest? (see images) The reason I ask is because Dirac wants to level calibrate in both channels. However the monaural combination seems to defeat the time domain concept of Dirac.
We have discovered and now are recommend setting the Routing Matrix as follows prior to running the Dirac project calibration and measurement process. This apples to a multi-mono subwoofer set up: Home Theater Multi-Subwoofer Basic System Setup plus REW & Dirac Live

lG4rhWD2WvaICBaea6eLlJNytwKkHL0cQpWzCRZUcX2w-aPS-B5lCvO67LYDzKXlbkBfwDVh_8FA0TCDHOff5TZQ05Fg5UuqR-TsltAyLkVRgKTdCeb11peKqEp9sc-IJZOwqjRw

supersergios

Hello Goodnight.
I have bought a DDRC-24 for my cinema equipment, it arrived today,

I have 4 subwoofers and my old Anthem equipment (with ARC) does not equal more than one

I explain:

In front I have an Arendal_2 and next to it (also in front) two SVS_2000, in the back of the room I have another Arendal_2

[I attach a drawing so you can see my room and where these subwoofers are]

I intend with the MiniDSP and Dirac to create a single subwoofer so that when passing the ARC calibration it only creates that there is one

Can you tell me the first steps to proceed? I would really appreciate it

Will Dirac calculate the phases of each subwoofer and the delays for me? Apart from the individual equalization and then one as a whole, that I understood

I appreciate any help getting started, thank you very much

* I have read that there is a possible noise in the speakers in this model, and the new Flex model reduces these noises, in the subwoofers will I notice this annoying noise? (I hate hums)

Thanks greetings.

I hope to read your responses to proceed, grateful

——————

Hola, buenas noches.
Yo he comprado un DDRC-24 para mi equipo de cine, me ha llegado hoy,

tengo 4 subwoofers y mi equipo Anthem antiguo (con ARC) no ecualiza más que uno

Me explico:

Delante tengo un Arendal_2 y al lado (también delante) dos SVS_2000 , en la parte trasera de la sala tengo otro Arendal_2

[Adjunto dibujo para que vean mi sala y donde estan estos subwoofers]

Pretendo con el MiniDSP y Dirac crear un sólo subwoofer para que al pasar la calibración ARC únicamente crea que hay uno

Me podéis indicar los primeros pasos para proceder? Os lo agradecería

Dirac me calculará las fases de cada subwoofer y los retrasos? A parte de la ecualización individual y luego una en conjunto, eso entendí

Agradezco cualquier ayuda para empezar, muchas gracias

*he leído que hay un posible ruido en los altavoces en este model, y el nuevo modelo Flex reduce estos ruidos, en los subwoofers notaré este molesto ruido? (odio los zumbidos)

Gracias , saludos.

Espero leer sus respuestas para proceder, agradecido

Attachments

• 8C7F33FB-6D55-43D2-9988-7F1E5ED4A230.jpeg
    8C7F33FB-6D55-43D2-9988-7F1E5ED4A230.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Goodnight.
I have bought a DDRC-24 for my cinema equipment, it arrived today,

I have 4 subwoofers and my old Anthem equipment (with ARC) does not equal more than one

I explain:

In front I have an Arendal_2 and next to it (also in front) two SVS_2000, in the back of the room I have another Arendal_2

[I attach a drawing so you can see my room and where these subwoofers are]

I intend with the MiniDSP and Dirac to create a single subwoofer so that when passing the ARC calibration it only creates that there is one

Can you tell me the first steps to proceed? I would really appreciate it

Will Dirac calculate the phases of each subwoofer and the delays for me? Apart from the individual equalization and then one as a whole, that I understood

I appreciate any help getting started, thank you very much

* I have read that there is a possible noise in the speakers in this model, and the new Flex model reduces these noises, in the subwoofers will I notice this annoying noise? (I hate hums)

Thanks greetings.

I hope to read your responses to proceed, grateful

——————

Hola, buenas noches.
Yo he comprado un DDRC-24 para mi equipo de cine, me ha llegado hoy,

tengo 4 subwoofers y mi equipo Anthem antiguo (con ARC) no ecualiza más que uno

Me explico:

Delante tengo un Arendal_2 y al lado (también delante) dos SVS_2000 , en la parte trasera de la sala tengo otro Arendal_2

[Adjunto dibujo para que vean mi sala y donde estan estos subwoofers]

Pretendo con el MiniDSP y Dirac crear un sólo subwoofer para que al pasar la calibración ARC únicamente crea que hay uno

Me podéis indicar los primeros pasos para proceder? Os lo agradecería

Dirac me calculará las fases de cada subwoofer y los retrasos? A parte de la ecualización individual y luego una en conjunto, eso entendí

Agradezco cualquier ayuda para empezar, muchas gracias

*he leído que hay un posible ruido en los altavoces en este model, y el nuevo modelo Flex reduce estos ruidos, en los subwoofers notaré este molesto ruido? (odio los zumbidos)

Gracias , saludos.

Espero leer sus respuestas para proceder, agradecido
noise should not be an issue with subwoofers, can you share a diagram with how things are / will be connected? It's difficult to understand the situation right now.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
This may be a silly question, but throughout this thread, there has been no discussion of AVR's/PrePro's which come with Dirac Live (and sometimes DLBC option).

The most economical way of getting Dirac Live multichannel seems to be a midrange Dirac enabled AVR (often more economical than a similar Pre-Pro) regardless of whether one uses the onboard amps or not....

Models with full Pre-Out's are available for under US$1400

Shouldn't this be the first "goto" for an economical way of getting into Multichannel Dirac ?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
P.S. Capabilities are limited in the AVR space for DLBC... at least within the "economic" models

randing

yes to all of these questions.

I have my own 'unique' protocol for subwoofer integration with the DDRC-24, if you decide to buy it, i can share it with you. it's super super easy.

the only negative thing is that without some extra fiddling you would have to use the DAC of the MiniDSP and retire your DAC.

However, the MiniDSP provides Stereo USB output and input, so you can theoretically take the Dirac corrected digital usb output and route it to the Topping DAC.

Hello @abdo123, that you for the notes about Dirac and MiniDSP, trying to make sense of room correction. With the Dirac license included with the DDRC-24, does it require DSP be applied only through the DDRC-24? Or can I apply Dirac to other DAC's on the same network that are accessible via the PC running Dirac? What I want to do is use the DDRC-24 hardware for subwoofer integration, but I'd also like to apply Dirac in software to the stereo channels behind a different DAC, and another room/Roon endpoint that will not be behind the DDRC-24. Dirac and Roon will both be running on the same headless Windows 11 PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom