• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ddHiFi TC44B Review (Headphone Adapter)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Question regarding the 2.5mm vs 4.4mm connectors. The product literature says the 4.4mm balanced connectors are "grounded connected, so it’s more suitable to use with balanced active speakers." So does that mean I shouldn't use the 4.4mm balanced connectors on my IEM and should instead buy another 2.5mm balanced cable for IEM use? What exactly would be the problem if I plugged my IEM into the 4.4mm balanced input?
if you have a mains powered Amp or active speakers that you'd like to use, then the 4.4mm port is recommended. Its GND pin assures safe operation.
For your headphones, it doesn't matter which jack you use. In this case, the 4.4mm jack's GND pin will simply be left disconnected.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this nugget on Headphonia "The CS43131, for your reference, is the same chip as used in the award winning NuPrime Hi mDac and HiBy R3 Pro"

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize that I have one of their adapters already, 2.5 balanced to 3.5 unbalanced and it works perfectly so far.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How do they go from 2.5 balanced to 3.5 SE ?
This is not possible without shorting L- and R- outputs.

For the 4.4 it is logical as 4.4 is specifically designed for balanced and SE.

staticV3

Master Contributor
there's one adapter called DJ30B which converts from 4.4 to TRRS 3.5Pro balanced. Obviously that one shouldn't be used with regular 3.5mm headphones or headsets.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not 2.5mm balanced to SE that's SE 3.5 to 2.5mm balanced. This, of course, is possible. Not from balanced to SE.
You can connect a balanced headphone to a 3.5mm TRS output with this one.

The connector is 2.5 balanced female in to 3.5 unbalanced male

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Correct: so the source = 3.5mm TRS and it converts to a 2.5mm TRRS.
It thus converts from 3.5mm to 2.5mm.
Otherwise its like saying a 5V adapter converts from 5V to 110V.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes that is correct.. sorry for any confusion. I think it's cool, it's the only device I found to do that in a one piece adapter. The other device is a 4.4 male balanced to 3.5 TRS out which is also cool. I like this DD company.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Would this dongle sufficiently power AEON RT to sufficiently loud volume?
My interpretation of the 32ohm chart gives me hope, but I'd like to confirm with the pros who know better as to me feel unlikely that this tiny thing can provide the necessary "high current" Amir mentioned in the AEON RT review.
The combo would be great for when I eventually return to work in the company office!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI for those interested in ordering, be patient as it's coming from China and "standard shipping" will take about a month. I ordered it from Linsoul back on April 19 after reading this wonderful review and it's finally made its way to LAX over the weekend, hopefully I'll get it next week - I've been informed that this is pretty much to be expected after inquiring why it's taking so long:

"Please no worries as normally for delivery to the USA, it needs 15-25 business days to deliver via the standard shipping. We have checked with the shipping company and it is still in the normal delivery time."

Top Bottom