• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dCS Bartók Measurements by GoldenSound

GarryX

I read this forum and bought the D90Pro. First one failed to turn on after one day. Second one was okay but I didn’t like the sound. Sold it second hand and opted for the Gryphon dac module.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I shall forever drop to one knee in gratitude to this forum for demonstrating that the only thing that distinguishes the offerings from dCS, PSAudio, Chord (and their exalted ilk) from my humble little $849 Topping D90se is the price tag.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read this forum and bought the D90Pro. First one failed to turn on after one day. Second one was okay but I didn’t like the sound. Sold it second hand and opted for the Gryphon dac module.
Could that be because the D90Pro is a car?

Freddy

"I read this forum and bought the D90Pro. First one failed to turn on after one day. Second one was okay but I didn’t like the sound. Sold it second hand and opted for the Gryphon dac module."
As you would, of course.
"I shall forever drop to my knees in gratitude to this forum for demonstrating that the only thing that distinguishes the offerings from dCS, PSAudio, Chord (and their exalted ilk) from my humble little $849 Topping D90se is the price tag."
And the sound, of course, the build quality, the durability - shall I go on?

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"I read this forum and bought the D90Pro. First one failed to turn on after one day. Second one was okay but I didn’t like the sound. Sold it second hand and opted for the Gryphon dac module."
As you would, of course.
"I shall forever drop to my knees in gratitude to this forum for demonstrating that the only thing that distinguishes the offerings from dCS, PSAudio, Chord (and their exalted ilk) from my humble little $849 Topping D90se is the price tag."
And the sound, of course.
Are we supposed to be humbled by this little bit of condescending nonsense?

You just took down one member for refuting the objective data provided by this site and another for championing it. That means your position is merely one of sanctimony, and declaring your superiority over all of us.

You’ve been on this forum for less than a month. I don’t dare claim the authority to speak on behalf of the group consciousness here, but I can say that the general vibe here embraces science and evidence, and those who come here to preen or troll generally don’t fare well.

As far as your response to my own post, unless you have some evidence to support your officious claim that a ridiculously priced DAC from dCS sounds “better” than my Topping D90se, which still occupies the top spot of all DACs tested here based on the most rigorous of evidence, then prepare to get roasted if you’re going to lob insults.

In other words, sit down. Take some time listening to the smart folks on here before you start pissing on bushes—it’s just so much less tacky that way.

Freddy

Your attitude and comments are very funny:
"I shall forever drop to my knees in gratitude."
Good grief!

"You just took down one member for refuting the objective data provided by this site"
How when and where?

"unless you have some evidence to support your officious claim that a ridiculously priced DAC from dCS sounds “better” than my Topping D90se, which still occupies the top spot of all DACs tested here based on the most rigorous of evidence, then prepare to get roasted if you’re going to lob insults."
I certainly do. I heard them both some weeks ago. There was no comparison. If you want to rely on an old, largely outdated measurement metric to recommend equipment, be my guest, but do not expect knowledgeable people to take you seriously.

rkt31

Good grief!

"You just took down one member for refuting the objective data provided by this site"
How when and where?

"unless you have some evidence to support your officious claim that a ridiculously priced DAC from dCS sounds “better” than my Topping D90se, which still occupies the top spot of all DACs tested here based on the most rigorous of evidence, then prepare to get roasted if you’re going to lob insults."
I certainly do. I heard them both some weeks ago. There was no comparison. If you want to rely on an old, largely outdated measurement metric to recommend equipment, be my guest, but do not expect knowledgeable people to take you seriously.
If it was measured through largely outdated metric then what is the latest metric ? How poor measurements can sound better specially that too when one channel behave differently than other ?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief!

How when and where?

You don’t read humor very well—another one of your enviable qualities. This site is full of knowledgeable people, and based on the responses you’ve consistently received from them on here, you seem oblivious to how you’re not being taken seriously.

Listen, I’m not here to police narcissistic personalities. I’ve got better things to do, and I come here for fun and collegial interaction. Please feel free to continue whatever it was that motivated you to join this site—just stay clear of me, and respect my disinterest in whatever opinions you have about what I post. I’m just not interested in your feedback. If you leave me be, I’ll do likewise. If you don’t, I’ll bump things uphill. Understood?

Freddy

You don’t read humor very well—another one of your enviable qualities. This site is full of knowledgeable people, and based on the responses you’ve consistently received from them on here, you seem oblivious to how you’re not being taken seriously.

Listen, I’m not here to police narcissistic personalities. I’ve got better things to do, and I come here for fun and collegial interaction. Please feel free to continue whatever it was that motivated you to join this site—just stay clear of me, and respect my disinterest in whatever opinions you have about what I post. I’m just not interested in your feedback. If you leave me be, I’ll do likewise. If you don’t, I’ll bump things uphill. Understood?
You responded to my post, not I to yours.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I certainly do. I heard them both some weeks ago. There was no comparison.

One that isn't anecdotal? You know...evidence.

...do not expect knowledgeable people to take you seriously....

.. If you don't use basic controls when doing listening tests.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You responded to my post, not I to yours.
False, You copied and pasted my post into yours and ridiculed it. What response did you expect to get from that tactic?

And you must have to gulp hard to deride my facetiously purple prose while going on endlessly about the acoustic wonders of ancient amphitheaters and your impeccable taste in opera. Each time you open your mouth monocles drop out.

Enough please…

Last edited:

Freddy

My ears are evidence for me. I do no not buy equipment whose graphs I hang on my living room walls, but that does not sound good to my ears. This is a classic waste of money.

JSmith

Master Contributor
My ears are evidence for me.
That's nice... so why are you on ASR again?
I don’t dare claim the authority to speak on behalf of the group consciousness here, but I can say that the general vibe here embraces science and evidence, and those who come here to preen or troll generally don’t fare well.
I think you have this bang on, well said.

JSmith

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ears are evidence for me. I do no not buy equipment whose graphs I hang on my living room walls, but that does not sound good to my ears. This is a classic waste of money.
None of us go by measurements alone. I auditioned many options before I settled on my system. I fail to understand why seeking evidence to justify exorbitant costs is a frivolous exercise—when the asking price for a given component is a few decimals higher than the combined cost of the materials to assemble them, it’s a veritable imperative to expose that device to extensive rigor.

A few raves from corporate-funded “review” websites is all it takes to sanctify that price—and price is a powerful influence on what we want to hear from our ears. It’s perfectly sensible that as technology progresses, especially with the limitations of digital audio, the state of the art would eventually surpass the limitations of our hearing—and as time progresses the production costs within those limits should plummet.

And that is why I can believe that my Topping D90se can go head-to-head with something like the $13,000 Chord DAVE, a product with 8 year old technology competing with one with the modern eight channel ES9038pro. In today’s world, eight years in technological terms is a veritable lifetime.

Yuhasz01

it does measure well enough thus will be audibly undistinguishable from an $9 Apple dongle , while costing 150 times more. At that price it ought to break all measurements levels we have had so far and sound better than the dongle.
The stupendous price is the problem. The elephant in the listening room :p
Luxury item , over built for higher profit margin and status. Nothing distinguishing regarding hi fidelity sound

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Luxury item , over built for higher profit margin and status. Nothing distinguishing regarding hi fidelity sound
Oddly enough, iFi audio themselves invoked the dCS to me as an argument for why measurements don’t tell the whole story, during a discussion of price gouging on another forum. I guess the concept of a brand’s eminence earned through high prices even dupes those in the industry who compete with them, which is sorta depressing.

rkt31

Assembling a product even with boutique components and heavy casing is not guarantee for better measured performance. Better measurements need better design for reduction in the effect of emi,RFI, mains leakage, reduction in jitter, reduction in crosstalk, reduction in aliasing distortion etc. All these combined will give better sinad. If a $17500 dac is achieving poor sinad figures as compared to gustard x18 then how this DCS bartok can sound better despite poor design ? Can anyone explain ? Or people like poor measurements more in sound ? :p

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief!

How when and where?

"I heard them both."

Well, then, what more can be said? Clearly your ears provide the true Newtonian reference plane for such things. We must acquiesce to your expertise.

Top Bottom