• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

JSmith

Master Contributor
Signal chain;

index.php

Op amp rail;

index.php

Internal;

index.php

JSmith

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do what there? Play with the slides and show that the response changes??? That part is a given. My goal was to see how transparent it is. And I tested that with and without EQ being on.
HI Amir

In that case, it's not just that it does change that matters.
But how it changes.

I perfectly understand you don't want to start doing endless tests.

But I suggested 2 simple tests above.
Even just the first one would give us valuable information, while remaining fairly easy and quick to do once the EQ is connected.

And, as far as I know, this information is available nowhere.

NB: This is only relevant for graphic EQs, since we can't control the Q directly.
For full parametric EQ, this is, indeed, useless.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
HI Amir

In that case, it's not just that it does change that matters.
But how it changes.

I perfectly understand you don't want to start doing endless tests.

But I suggested 2 simple tests above.
Even just the first one would give us valuable information, while remain fairly easy and quick to do once the EQ is connected.
And, as far as I know, this information is available nowhere.
Yeah I am quite puzzled that DBX don't disclose Q behavior in the specifications.

jamescarter1982

The fact that it's not aimed at digital only signal chain don't make it a legacy product. It's a current product. Many of us have a mix of analog and digital sources and use an analog preamp. It's kinda nice that it appears to compete in performance of something like a MiniDsP 2X4 Hd when you account the full AD-DA. Many of us don't listen to 24 bit content neither. Graph EQ like that are limitative I admit, but I have to say that if I could find for reasonable price a combination of Analog Parametric EQ and crossover for subs without significant payback in noise and distortion, I would trade my Mini DSP in a heartbeat. It's so much more intuitive convenient, and fun to use. Cool to look at too, you can find now racks nicely enclosed in wood finished chassis that look happily at home in actual living spaces, if you have the room of course.
the meyer cp10s is supposed to be a good parametric eq and a bit more up market than the dbx . not sure about crossover still looking for a good analogue one myself I own this dbx

PeteL

Major Contributor
the meyer cp10s is supposed to be a good parametric eq and a bit more up market than the dbx . not sure about crossover still looking for a good analogue one myself I own this dbx
For XOver The DBX223s just revewed here appear to have surprisingly good measurments. To be honest for EQ I'd be more confident with manufaturers that have more of a Studio sound pedigree than Meyer. Meyer is vastly targetted toward PA applications are much less critical for noise performance, the EQ will never be the bottleneck, but I'd be happy to be surprised. You can often find used Klark Technik DN410(b) at good price, they sounded fine to me when I had my hands on them in the past but wouldn't know if it's competitive today, Or how robust it is with being a bit old.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
my understanding (which is almost certainly wrong or only partial) is that analog eq introduces phase errors.
If this is the case it might be interesting to see this measured?

PeteL

Major Contributor
my understanding (which is almost certainly wrong or only partial) is that analog eq introduces phase errors.
If this is the case it might be interesting to see this measured?
Digital EQ introduce the same phase errors. Some are linear phase but they will introduce latency, use more processing and are not so common as of now.

jamescarter1982

For XOver The DBX223s just revewed here appear to have surprisingly good measurments. To be honest for EQ I'd be more confident with manufaturers that have more of a Studio sound pedigree than Meyer. Meyer is vastly targetted toward PA applications are much less critical for noise performance, the EQ will never be the bottleneck, but I'd be happy to be surprised. You can often find used Klark Technik DN410(b) at good price, they sounded fine to me when I had my hands on them in the past but wouldn't know if it's competitive today, Or how robust it is with being a bit old.
I think I have more faith in meyer as a company that produces quality gear than kt but I havnt heard either . what I'd really like to see is a digital parametric and eq with easy to use rotary controls . easier to use and higher quality than the behringer ones maybe with a screen as well . I guess that's ghe rme adi-2 isn't it

respice finem

Major Contributor
The fact that it's not aimed at digital only signal chain don't make it a legacy product. It's a current product. Many of us have a mix of analog and digital sources and use an analog preamp. It's kinda nice that it appears to compete in performance of something like a MiniDsP 2X4 Hd when you account the full AD-DA. Many of us don't listen to 24 bit content neither. Graph EQ like that are limitative I admit, but I have to say that if I could find for reasonable price a combination of Analog Parametric EQ and crossover for subs without significant payback in noise and distortion, I would trade my Mini DSP in a heartbeat. It's so much more intuitive convenient, and fun to use. Cool to look at too, you can find now racks nicely enclosed in wood finished chassis that look happily at home in actual living spaces, if you have the room of course.
OK - I should have said, it's legacy for me.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For that you need something with a tad more capability, such as... which also accepts analog inputs. Expect to pay accordingly! :)

View attachment 219704
Impressive device indeed! The display is a bit larger that of the RME, but the price differences don't not compensate for that IMHO. Perhaps for 500 the one reviewed here isn't that bad after all, just take a picture of the settings every time you like it, and you have infinite presets available. That can't be done with this digital fancy devices. :D

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the money, these offer great value, and can be used effectively-- if you need the features and capability it offers. While not as sophisticated as other types of EQ, in the analog domain it works well enough for ridding loudspeakers of gross FR problems. Not a perfectionist solution.

There was a time dbx offered a full range of consumer oriented gear. Not likely to ever happen today, but an analog preamplifier with a 1U form factor, fit and finish matching their EQ and crossover, plus full 'legacy' features, and coming in at the same lowish price point, would make a nice front end.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive device indeed! The display is a bit larger that of the RME, but the price differences don't not compensate for that IMHO. Perhaps for 500 the one reviewed here isn't that bad after all, just take a picture of the settings every time you like it, and you have infinite presets available. That can't be done with this digital fancy devices. :D
If you want a funny read, one of the Internet Presenters over at Stereophile (probably the magazine's most 'sensitive and emotional' influencer on staff) wrote up his experiences with the Accuphase EQ. Precious.

Wondering... is 'Audio Cheapskate' still writing for them? dbx should send over an 1231. Not for Accuphase guy to review, it might hurt his ears, But the Cheapskate would probably have a ball with all the sliders. :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do what there? Play with the slides and show that the response changes??? That part is a given. My goal was to see how transparent it is. And I tested that with and without EQ being on.
In some amp and speaker reviews you played with the tone settings to see the effect. For example the effect of the IEC curve on a MX VYNL phono preamp was weird.

It would be nice to measure the effects of some EQ here just to see all is as expected.

Owl

Why would there be any hiss or hum from this device.? Power supply?

beagleman

Major Contributor
Nice "legacy" product. But, in the digital domain, one can have better "equalizers" for 0.00 $, and without sacrificing space.
But having owned BOTH types, there is something Far easier to using the actual sliders physically and hearing an instant result.
Moving "Sliders" with a mouse etc, just does not work the same, or have the same ease of use.
I agree digital has some advantages, but usability, not so much......

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@amirm : when you say " We are right at noise floor of 16 bit audio so not bad still.", do you mean that when playing 16 bit material, the noise floor added by this device is inaudible?

Or will it add a little bit but is inconsequential because it is so close to -115db, at which point we are sure it should be totally transparent and thus inaudible.

JDS

I don't remember seeing line-level screw terminals before. Is that a thing in the pro studio world?

Top Bottom