• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

The Guy who cares

The DBX Equalizer for music works best with Rotel's RC-1590 Preamp and Rotels RB-1582MKII Power Amplifier. The Sony-az7000es with music isn't as clean and has less upper bass, the bass with the Sony is a little muddy and the Midrange Frequencies are a little Mashed together. The Rotel Combo actually should sound better as the dual cost more than the Sony-az7000es. The Sony is a Multichannel home Theater Receiver. The Rotel dual is only Stereo, ... 2 channels. Movies also sound better on the Rotel Dual than the Sony-az7000es. Just sit in the sweat spot and Wow! Then Rotel blows away the Sony. Most important if you like Dramas and movies with a Good Story. Voices are more realistic.

Last edited:

Ted B

I happened across this discussion via a Google search and enjoyed reading through it. Coincidentally, I bought a dbx 2231 - the slightly fuller featured version of the 1231 to audition after being less than satisfied with the DSP route. The dbx is inserted between the DAC and power amp, with balanced XLR interconnects throughout, and everything powered through a line conditioner. I've used this EQ effectively with the help of REW to obtain the desired response curve at my listening position and have been completely satisfied. I've found the gain controls and dBu indicators make compensations for different recording levels quick and easy, with no perceptible degradation of signal, detail, soundstage, etc. One classical recording I can play with peaks around 100dB ends abruptly to a background that is completely black and devoid of audible hiss, even with my efficient (96dB) speakers. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but mine is an EQ of sufficient quality has a place in HiFi audio.

One perhaps greedy thought I had just recently was if the op amps were worth an upgrade just to see if it would make a perceptible difference. The dbx 2231 schematics show JRC4560s in the filter section and NE5532s on the outputs, which appear to be decent. I've also seen where some (likely older) models in this series had JRC4558 in the filter section and one intrepid soul began replacing all 18 with NE5532, although I didn't see the verdict posted.

The Guy who cares

I happened across this discussion via a Google search and enjoyed reading through it. Coincidentally, I bought a dbx 2231 - the slightly fuller featured version of the 1231 to audition after being less than satisfied with the DSP route. The dbx is inserted between the DAC and power amp, with balanced XLR interconnects throughout, and everything powered through a line conditioner. I've used this EQ effectively with the help of REW to obtain the desired response curve at my listening position and have been completely satisfied. I've found the gain controls and dBu indicators make compensations for different recording levels quick and easy, with no perceptible degradation of signal, detail, soundstage, etc. One classical recording I can play with peaks around 100dB ends abruptly to a background that is completely black and devoid of audible hiss, even with my efficient (96dB) speakers. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but mine is an EQ of sufficient quality has a place in HiFi audio.

One perhaps greedy thought I had just recently was if the op amps were worth an upgrade just to see if it would make a perceptible difference. The dbx 2231 schematics show JRC4560s in the filter section and NE5532s on the outputs, which appear to be decent. I've also seen where some (likely older) models in this series had JRC4558 in the filter section and one intrepid soul began replacing all 18 with NE5532, although I didn't see the verdict posted.
Dbx 2231 has been discontinued however the 1231 is still on going. The DBX lower equalizers are no longer black but only in brushed aluminum silver. The silver would be better as easier to see in a dimly light room. However they still don't have led lights on the sliders which I think is a Absolute Must. The 1231 is unfortunately only available in Black. I also want 4 screw on feet to each of the Equalizers, a nice touch for table mount applications.

Last edited:

The Guy who cares

1231front_lg_full_width.jpg

The Guy who cares

I still have Zero issues with this Equalizer after about three months of use. I never turn the dbx 1231 off either and it never gets hot, slightly warm to the touch is all.

Top Bottom