• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton MK402X Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Do you have the writeup on what you did to the originals?

I have a pair and still need to tame them a bit...
Basically, you throw away the stock tweeter crossover and replace it with this:

Dayton MK402 Net2.png

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Both those drivers seem to have respectably middling sensitivity -- 90 for the tweeter and nearly 87 for the woofer -- so there must be a good deal going on in the crossover and/or enclosure (baffle step compensation? crossover and/or box tuned to optimize bass extension rather than output?) to bring it down to only 80!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Both those drivers seem to have respectably middling sensitivity -- 90 for the tweeter and nearly 87 for the woofer -- so there must be a good deal going on in the crossover and/or enclosure (baffle step compensation? crossover and/or box tuned to optimize bass extension rather than output?) to bring it down to only 80!
The 86.6 dB sensitivity rating for the woofer is based on the baffle step peak at around 1 kHz. That's not the proper way to rate woofer sensitivity, since the usable midbass response is considerably below that. And that peak is actually only 85 dB. Once you throw a .5 mH series inductor in the mix, that peak plunges to the observed 80 dB.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
The 86.6 dB sensitivity rating for the woofer is based on the baffle step peak at around 1 kHz. That's not the proper way to rate woofer sensitivity, since the usable midbass response is considerably below that. And that peak is actually only 85 dB. Once you throw a .5 mH series inductor in the mix, that peak plunges to the observed 80 dB.

Thanks for (f)actual knowledge, Dennis. So, to get into the mid-80s, you'd need a more sensitive woofer, correct?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Thanks. Just bought a pair.

The speaker hoarding addiction continues. What are you doing with the your hundreds of previous speaker buys? I'm sure you didn't store them in your garage! Remember, confession is a first step along the way to recovery. Confess to that cheap speaker addiction! :) Well, it is SO MUCH more fun than having an expensive speaker addiction. Finding inexpensive gems is like panning for gold, Lots of fun.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I think the Minimus 7 from Radio Shack fall into the very small but interesting to see how good they sound category.

Many bought them not based on GREAT sound, but a small size factor and with the idea of "Just how good can something this tiny sound"

I have to admit being amazed by small speakers that still manage to sound fairly good and somewhat full range, at least to some extent.

My most intere

So about 5-6 db of BSC in other words.
Surprising they took it that far, most retail speakers seem to only do 2-3db and have weak bass or a strong mid and high end.

From your site, I saw (a long time ago) you measured the old Minimus 7 and of course it is smaller overall, but how do you compare the two?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I think the Minimus 7 from Radio Shack fall into the very small but interesting to see how good they sound category.

Many bought them not based on GREAT sound, but a small size factor and with the idea of "Just how good can something this tiny sound"

I have to admit being amazed by small speakers that still manage to sound fairly good and somewhat full range, at least to some extent.

My most intere

So about 5-6 db of BSC in other words.
Surprising they took it that far, most retail speakers seem to only do 2-3db and have weak bass or a strong mid and high end.

From your site, I saw (a long time ago) you measured the old Minimus 7 and of course it is smaller overall, but how do you compare the two?
I wouldn't go so far as to say the woofer circuit incorporates baffle step compensation. That's just what happens to this particular woofer in this particular cabinet when you use a series inductor. The only alternative would have been to let the woofer run free with no attenuation of the breakup modes further up.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Steve, measurements don't matter, Guttenburg says the $8000 First Watt amp would really wake up these speakers.

Guttenberg seems to be a nice guy, but his declarations often come straight from where the sun never shines.

BWard

Guttenberg seems to be a nice guy, but his declarations often come straight from where the sun never shines.
The one thing you have to always keep in mind with Steve is that he is a professional high end audio salesman and he's good at it.
He is very likeable and I love the guy. I think he is sincere and I don't think is trying to purposely mislead people. Just always keep in mind that he is a salesman. In the end though, regardless of how convincing he can be, everybody decides for themselves whether they buy or not. His job as a salesman is to create interest. If what he says makes you interested in a product, then check it out and if you agree with him buy it, if not don't.
Steve loves audio gear so he's a guy I can relate to but I can see through the sales pitch and simply enjoy listening to him talk about audio gear.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
The one thing you have to always keep in mind with Steve is that he is a professional high end audio salesman and he's good at it.
He is very likeable and I love the guy. I think he is sincere and I don't think is trying to purposely mislead people. Just always keep in mind that he is a salesman. In the end though, regardless of how convincing he can be, everybody decides for themselves whether they buy or not. His job as a salesman is to create interest. If what he says makes you interested in a product, then check it out and if you agree with him buy it, if not don't.
Steve loves audio gear so he's a guy I can relate to but I can see through the sales pitch and simply enjoy listening to him talk about audio gear.

You can take the salesman out of "Sound By Singer" -- but you can't take "Sound By Singer" out of the salesman. :cool:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker hoarding addiction continues. What are you doing with the your hundreds of previous speaker buys? I'm sure you didn't store them in your garage! Remember, confession is a first step along the way to recovery. Confess to that cheap speaker addiction! :) Well, it is SO MUCH more fun than having an expensive speaker addiction. Finding inexpensive gems is like panning for gold, Lots of fun.

Ha! I definitely have a problem. I like it though. I like having multiple speakers to compare with myself and friends. I've got speakers lying around in storage(though I finally have listed some for sale) that have gone unused for a couple years. I really need to start selling more.. These actually will be used though. They'll be part of a 7 channel all stereo Infinity system in my workout room(already have R263 as LCR). I was actually kinda looking for a good omni speaker for that room, as it's not critical listening, and I'm constantly pacing around the room. Good Omnis were more than I wanted to spend, though. Cheaper to buy a bunch of cheap monopoles and run "7 channel stereo".

BWard

You can take the salesman out of "Sound By Singer" -- but you can't take "Sound By Singer" out of the salesman. :cool:
Yeah he spent 12 years selling millions of dollars in audio gear. You don't get and keep that job for that long unless you are very good at it. I'm sure more than one person left Singer saying to themselves, that damn Steve is such a nice guy, he talked me into dropping 15k on that system. Damn it!
He could sell snow to an Eskimo. Gotta love him though. My man.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which pair? I mentioned several. Awaiting your impressions of whichever. :)

R152. I've been looking to buy them on sale now for a few months, but not checking Harman site frequently enough. They'll be part of a multichannel system with my R263s that I've had for a couple years now(also bought on sale). Hard to beat these Infinity/JBL sales in terms of value.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
My speaker. Thanks for the review @amirm. I'm late to follow up due to some life hiccups, but I appreciate your efforts. I use these in a desktop setup and am not quite thrilled with their performance (no sub or EQ) but the tests proved better than I expected.

Anyone who has the speakers, I was thinking of getting a couple pairs to use as a 4.0 setup in my living room as a budget setup. It's an apartment so it's not a large space. Would they be loud enough for a distance of about 10 or 12 feet?

escape2

Would they be loud enough for a distance of about 10 or 12 feet?
"Loud enough" is very subjective. I had mine about 9-10 feet from me in the living room, and I'd say they were loud enough for me, but I don't listen super loud. Also, keep in mind, they are very inefficient, so will require quite a bit more amp power.

"Loud enough" is very subjective. I had mine about 9-10 feet from me in the living room, and I'd say they were loud enough for me, but I don't listen super loud. Also, keep in mind, they are very inefficient, so will require quite a bit more amp power.
Ahh ok so not suitable for an entry level surround receiver?

Top Bottom