• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Copperheads

AudioSQ

20210808_214649~2.jpg

I built these little guys to use for speakers at my office. While I have a pretty large desk, the amount of space I have to get a speaker on the right side of my monitors is pretty limited. I needed something small and only gave myself an overall budget of $200 for the speakers, amp, and dac. I probably put too much weight on their appearance, but I really dig the copper.

I built them for light background music. My office is also next to a busy street so the noise floor is pretty high. We're not talking major hifi listening sessions, but I didn't want anything that would have glaring weaknesses that would erk me. I also wanted easy and in stock so these fit the bill.

Overall I'm happy with the sound. They obviously roll off pretty quick on the low end, which my coworkers will appreciate. Even the RS100s I have in my son's room have a fair amount more bass, but those are a bit laid back in the highs. I do find that these can be a bit bright, and at home they were fairly elevated in the 200-400 range. Nothing a little EQ couldn't fix. It's not the flattest response, but workable for my needs.

I decided not to set up REW at work.. 'I'll get you those PNLs as soon as I'm done dialing in my speakers'... I run them off an Aiyima A07 and a cheap Dayton dac. I'd recommend them to anybody looking for an easy, cheap, small desktop build.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like how you integrated the stands into the cabinets. Nice lil speakers. What is the size of the driver?

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

The footy enclosures come with the kit. Pretty solid deal for $90. The driver is 3.5", It's the Dayton PS95.

xarkkon

congrats on the build! nice white paint job too. i'm currently teaching my kids to build speakers using the copperheads too. such a convenient build to work with. did you use both inductors to smooth out the high end? Or just the main inductor?

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

I taught my son with the C-Notes. He has since always offered to help when I'm working on a project. I also put a large ported 12" in his room with 500 watts. He doesn't even have it hooked up, disappointing. I tried to get my daughter to paint pictures on these, hence the white canvas, but she 'couldn't think of anything' to paint.

I only used the main inductor. I listened briefly to it and decided it wasn't too bright, and if I change my mind I can add the other. After living with it a week it can get a little bright, but I just adjust it with EQ. If I didn't have that available and was going to listen to it on axis I'd probably give it a try.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
heh, heh, heh -- "fullrange" drivers... there may be hope for this forum yet...

:cool:;):facepalm:

DSC_3770 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_7144 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

FE207E by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

In all seriousness, @AudioSQ -- very cool. Part of me would like to try those little PE fullrange extended range (let's be honest with ourselves here) drivers.
Cannot quite rationalize the purchase, though -- especially with a pair of rather similar Fostexes here already. ;)

049 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

randing

I'm considering these as well for computer speakers. I really love the size of the enclosure for desktop purposes and the look of the driver, and I love your choice of white for the finish. There's an optional 0.22mH inductor to tame the highs mentioned in the manual on Parts Express. You used 0.22mH inductor and they're still too bright for you? Their measured response looks pretty flat with the inductor.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

I did not use it. I had spoken with others who had and they thought it over compensated. I brought the highs down just a smidge with EQ.

randing

Got it, thanks. That makes me feel a little less apprehensive about them. Looks like the drivers are super popular with DIYers for a lot of different projects, so I'm sure I'll find a use for them regardless.

Top Bottom