• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Stereo Amplifier Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the DTA-120 "class T" stereo audio amplifier. I purchased it at prompting of the membership months back. The DTA-120 for US $78. Parts Express now shows this as discontinued so not sure what availability is now.

The DTA-120 has a heftier build that other little amplifiers:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Audio Review.jpg

The volume control feels good. I did not play with either headphone output.

The back shows what you would expect:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Back Panel Connectors Review.jpg

Nice to see full regulatory certification in the form of FCC and CE marks.

The external power supply that feeds it is massive and probably even longer than the amp itself! It is rated at 24 volt/5 amps.

In use the unit barely got warm. This is actually good news which tells me it possibly uses the case for heatsink rather than looks.

The banana jacks, despite being tiny, managed to handle my heavy cable. And its oversized feet kept it rather planted.

Overall, decent impression for a budget product.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual let's start with our dashboard view of 1 kHz tone at 5 watts into 4 ohm load:
Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

The channel imbalance is bit more than I like to see. Shame we don't have balance controls anymore in our audio gear to compensate for such things.

THD+N and hence SINAD (signal relative to sum of distortion and noise) is dominated by strong harmonics, putting the DTA-120 near the bottom of the pile:

Best Stereo Amplifier.png

Frequency response has dual personality. Here it is at 8 ohm:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

A bit of peaking/exaggeration of high frequencies is seen which is due to filtering used in switching amplifiers. At 4 ohm though, response radically changes:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Frequency Response 4 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

Clearly the output filter is interacting with the load causing frequency response to vary. So what you get with your speaker of choice, will vary yet again.

That early and strong filter has some benefit in suppressing ultrasonic switching noise:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier FFT Audio Measurements.png

Multitone shows what we can already tell from the SINAD:
Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Multitone Audio Measurements.png

Most important test is the amount of power relative to distortion and noise. Let's see that for 8 ohm load:
Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Power into 8 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

Not a fan of those wiggly curves. And that fact that they start horizontally meaning distortion (rather than noise) dominates.

Situation does not improve with 4 ohm load:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Power into 4 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

Measuring power at 4 ohm again, this time opting for 1% THD we get:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Regulated Power into 4 ohm Audio Measurem...png

So high frequencies are definitely more problematic.

We can skin that cat yet again by sweeping level at different frequencies:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Frequency vs Distortion vs Power Audio Me...png

Kind of messy as one would expect (ideal would be all the graphs on top of each other).

Here is the signal to noise ratio:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Audio Amplifier SNR Audio Measurements.png

At full output, we barely clear the 16 bit hurdle.

Listening Tests
Watching important US news in another window so can't do the listening tests now. Will report later.

Conclusions
Measured by any kind of high fidelity standard, the Dayton Audio DTA-120 naturally is not competitive. There is way too much distortion. As a budget, low-cost amplifier goes though, it seems to work and product decent amount of power. So to the extent you want to use it in a workshop, workplace, etc., it would be fine.

--------
As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

Having help clean up the yard because I got tired of waiting for @Thomas savage to do it. Need money to pay the guy when he is done today. So please help by donating using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so hot.

JIW

The channel imbalance is bit more than I like to see. Shame we don't have balance controls anymore in our audio gear to compensate for such things.

THD+N and hence SINAD (signal relative to sum of distortion and noise) is dominated by strong harmonics, putting the DTA-120 near the bottom of the pile:

This shouldn't be there or should it?

JIW

It was duplicate. I deleted it.

It's still there for me even when I log out.

gvl

Major Contributor
So the cost of 1dB SINAD is about $1. Where are 100dB SINAD amps for $100?

JIW

??? It should be in the review. It should not have been as an attachment at the bottom of the review.

Yes but this is small and placed in between the dashboard and the SINAD ranking chart (see below) while the full size version is in its proper place.

Anyways, maybe you can take another look at it once you're less focused on the news.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual let's start with our dashboard view of 1 kHz tone at 5 watts into 4 ohm load:
index.php

index.php

jjk

Forum Donor
Just curious as a relatively new guy, and if too off-topic, I apologize.
What would a typical SINAD be for a well-made tube amp or is that even relative for tubes?
Thanks

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been wanting to learn about this one. It's yet another noise maker :O

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Watching important US news in another window so can't do the listening tests now."

Keep doing what you're doing, Amir!

The final line from "The Thing From Another World" is "Keep watching the skies!" To me, that sounds an awful lot like "Keep watching this guy!"

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just curious as a relatively new guy, and if too off-topic, I apologize.
What would a typical SINAD be for a well-made tube amp or is that even relative for tubes?
Thanks
I think the Dynaco is the best I have measured and it has a SINAD of 59.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
es but this is small and placed in between the dashboard and the SINAD ranking chart (see below) while the full size version is in its proper place.
It looks OK for me. Can you try another browser and let me know if it persists?

JIW

It looks OK for me. Can you try another browser and let me know if it persists?

I tried Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Vivaldi and it's there in all of them.

Maybe you could quote the same section.

mmicko

Is there any DAC/Power amp like this one (best way including also bluetooth and streamer function) with SINAD minimum 80dB (close to 90dB would be perfect) ?
I'm looking for unit to be used in room of my son (instead of simple mono bluetoot speaker he is using today) and I believe this would be interesting for more people...

Top Bottom