• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio DATS v3 | An Absolute Must Have (Video Review)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This one has been in the works for a while. The DATS v3 is a product that I strongly, truly believe everyone should have in their toolbox. There are even many questions and discussions here on ASR that would be immensely helped by a simple impedance sweep.

In this video I discuss the often used purpose of measuring a drive unit's T/S parameters as well as provide some other examples of how you can easily find internal enclosure resonance as well as a few other highlights.

I also encourage you to stay through until the end. ;)

Last edited:

BadAudioAdvice

Thank you for putting together that overview!

My plan for using the DATS is to find out what the minimum impedance is for the speakers that I have.

I had been on the lookout for a Technics SE-C01 "mini" amplifier and recently came across one and I want to play it safe with the speakers I use with it since it says to only use speakers with an 8ohm minimum.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Cool. I didn’t know there was such a gizmo.
Thanks, @hardisj.

I use an Analog Discovery 2, for similar purposes. Less convenient maybe, but more general purpose.

Kef q150 - open and sealed port impedance measurement.

AC0DEBFC-4924-4D83-8D84-5DA5EE145BF4.png

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
This one has been in the works for a while. The DATS v3 is a product that I strongly, truly believe everyone should have in their toolbox. There are even many questions and discussions here on ASR that would be immensely helped by a simple impedance sweep.

In this video I discuss the often used purpose of measuring a drive unit's T/S parameters as well as provide some other examples of how you can easily find internal enclosure resonance as well as a few other highlights.

I also encourage you to stay through until the end. ;)

Thanks for the review. I've used all 3 versions of DATS and have generally been happy with them. However, they've all had one quirk that's very frustrating if you want to measure inductor values. Every version has consistently read a little high--a .33 mH will come out something like .345. That's not much of a problem for series circuits, but it can be for some shunt circuits. I'm not sure why PE can't fix the problem, and it's really only only important to crossover designers, but it's kind of a nuisance for me.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
How do DATS determine the impedance? Big series resistor? Or tiny series resistor?

acoustic1

Hi, a quick question for Dats v3 users:

When I export an impedance response measurement to a txt file, I get impedance data for about 340 frequency points between 1Hz-20kHz. Is there a way of increasing the frequency resolution? The dats v3 claims it measures 30,000 data points, though I'm not really sure what it means by that.

Thanks,
Jon

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
I've used all 3 versions of DATS and have generally been happy with them. However, they've all had one quirk that's very frustrating if you want to measure inductor values. Every version has consistently read a little high--a .33 mH will come out something like .345.
Based on what other measurement? An inductance meter? Calculation from impedance curve? Not arguing, just wondering. And wondering if you're measuring air core or cheapie metal core or ???

Top Bottom