• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio C-Note MT build progress

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shipment arrived yesterday. Busy finishing ZA-5, so unboxed today...
1720A73E-A60C-42B8-A6FE-BF2DE14EB9AA.jpeg

A lot of stuff for $100! But not really for novice as no wire, binding posts or screws. Website mentions this and I have anyway, but just thought I would highlight for newbies. Also design does not mention any damping, so will not use and see how it goes. ;)

dwkdnvr

I have a pair that should be arriving today or tomorrow as well. Not sure when I'm going to get around to assembling them, but hopefully it will be soon-ish.

will definitely be interested in a comparison to the ZA-5 - (probably) better woofers in the ZA-5 vs a nicely waveguided tweeter in the C-Note

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair that should be arriving today or tomorrow as well. Not sure when I'm going to get around to assembling them, but hopefully it will be soon-ish.

will definitely be interested in a comparison to the ZA-5 - (probably) better woofers in the ZA-5 vs a nicely waveguided tweeter in the C-Note

Am interested too, but bear in mind, ZA5s are in a bigger cabinet with significant damping (and cost 3 times more).

My expectations are set accordingly ;).

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thin walls, maybe a cheap dampening material

Always maty with the mat-y suggestions

I picked up one of these kits too. I've got lots of other projects to churn through before I touch them, though.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, for a smallish cabinet, wanted to point out that the panels are 1/2 inch MDF. My reference to the lack of damping material was for internal box reflections (rather than panel vibrations). Will get them glued up and see how it goes. Our goal is to test them built to the design information.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

maty

Major Contributor
Small boxes and thin MDF.

Two damping layers or one layer but before something of damping as:

cajas-refuerzo-tecsound.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damping + absorbent

No-Rez 24" x 27" $ 44.95

http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx too much expensive to this cheap loudspeakers

* Only damping, https://www.amazon.com/Siless-50-mil-10-sqft/dp/B07LH2P383/ $ 18, that you already have

* Only absorbent: IZO All Supply (6 Pk) 2"x12"x12" Soundproofing Foam Acoustic Eggcrate Tiles Studio Foam Sound Wedges
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G61TJCG/ref=dp_cerb_2 $ 9.99

414fWkfCGBL._AC_.jpg

or other equivalent absorbent material

Thanks, but not going to get used here. Please cross-post at:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...binet-design-considerations.11263/post-331065

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Upon closer inspection, found the back panel was not as cleanly milled as the other parts. After consulting with customer service, they sent another at no charge. Unfortunately it was just as bad. My contact was off today, so have to check back on Monday. :rolleyes: Stay tuned...

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With ZA5.2 done, decided not to wait. A little sanding cleaned up the edges well enough to start gluing. Want to get one done and see what I learn. Not much to consider as simple kit, but like to get one measured. Instructions suggest gluing crossover parts to bottom panel. If initial check fails, not easy to fix if stuck to cabinet so will lay on some felt initially. Will likely layout crossover differently as I prefer to use negative binding post for central tie point for commons.

The woofer crossover is simple enough that it could be done inline. Would have been clear answer if coil leads were longer :rolleyes:. Tweeter crossover has enough parts that will likely just mount on some scrap Masonite.

More pics on second one as just want to get first one done quickly...

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

I was lazy and bought crossover boards from mtg90 on eBay. Adds $18 to build cost which, ok, is 18% on this kit. But I've had projects stall out because I was too lazy to lay out the crossovers. Shame PE doesn't have the boards as an option.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well this cabinet is not passing any knuckle tests, but it did pass initial integration check...

94F1F61A-3AE9-41D3-A456-1CAAFA76E7DB.jpeg

Just have to glue baffle, secure crossover and do a final sanding. Did a new crossover layout and turned out nicely. I borrowed from my doomed Vandersteen 2cs. They had their crossover glued to the back and integral binding posts. One major advantage is less internal wiring.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was lazy and bought crossover boards from mtg90 on eBay. Adds $18 to build cost which, ok, is 18% on this kit. But I've had projects stall out because I was too lazy to lay out the crossovers. Shame PE doesn't have the boards as an option.

Those look like nice boards. Agree PE should offer an accessory kit. The lack of screws, wire and connectors really prevents this from being a complete kit. The instructions do include a layout but it is a handful. If I were a newbie, would be disappointed to get this kit and find I needed more parts to complete it. :facepalm:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Starting second speaker. As promised, more pics. Here are the the parts...
6FB0005F-4CC3-47CA-98C5-F72ABCA8B384.jpeg

Across the top row, you are looking at top, front baffle (with drivers) and bottom. The bottom row is the sides and the bottom panel (with port tube and crossover parts. You may notice that the back edges are rough. This is not the usual quality I see from PE, but with a little sanding, is usable. Other parts are good quality (drivers, crossover and port tube).

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
With regards to knuckle tests, these speakers (which I regard as miraculously good for the price!) don't take a ton of power - only 60W RMS / 120W max according to PE - so I've found the cabinets inert "enough"... you can't dump a ton of power into them. If I was building them again I might consider adding a brace and/or some dynamat-style CLD. But I'm not sure it's needed.

Those look like nice boards. Agree PE should offer an accessory kit. The lack of screws, wire and connectors really prevents this from being a complete kit. The instructions do include a layout but it is a handful. If I were a newbie, would be disappointed to get this kit and find I needed more parts to complete it. :facepalm:
I like the idea of an accessories kit, though I would add that PE does put the build instruction PDF (very first page has recommended tools and consumables) and a very nice video right there on the product page... anecdotally I haven't heard folks feeling like they were "gotcha'd."

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PE assures me that this step should not be necessary, but know some of you ordered recently too so if you got one that looked like this...
DF784F85-3B86-4E58-AA98-69D8CCE251E1.jpeg

A quick bit of sanding is in order. Took some 220 grit until it looked like this...
90AE3DAE-C1F2-4715-B0AF-09209BADF4E9.jpeg

Now you can glue up cabinet according to provided instructions. I like to leave the front baffle off until I mount parts and do an initial check out.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While the glue sets, I build my crossovers. The PE layout is fine, but as mentioned in earlier post, I like less wiring by mounting to the back. This also allows me to use the negative binding post to handle some of the multiple ground connections and results in a cleaner, easier to handle solution. NOTE: I mount my crossovers on some thin MDF or cardboard. Until you know all your connections are good, I would NOT glue them directly inside of the cabinet!

Here are my crossovers...

71AA0D9E-2C61-4E5A-8160-1623A6205DFD.jpeg

Note the holes in the middle right if the left board (tweeter crossover) is where the binding post comes through the back of the cabinet. This also works nicely mechanically as the nuts secure the board to the cabinet nicely. The right picture is the woofer crossover. As you can see, the only wires are the ones to connect each driver to the crossover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom