• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio APA1200DSP Teardown (DSP Amplifier)

Raindog123

Major Contributor
@Vladimir Filevski Thanks, a good [data] point.

I was just questioning the bridged power limit estimate based on the input DC voltage... But to stay at that 1% distortion - away from clipping and all the associated unpleasantries - will be at [apparently much] lower output power.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Teardown is the right expression.

Tear it down and keep just the board with the DSP functionality, codecs and the case and connections ...
Unless you have documentation about how the control board works, it would be close to impossible to hack it to use with another amplifier and power supply. Even with documentation, it might not even be possible.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
93BBA33F-ADB5-46BB-8677-B5E2205B10EF.jpeg
What’s up with the disconnected fan at the top of the picture? Maybe it just serves as an air inlet. You can see a foam filter bulging out between the plastic and sheet metal if you look closely. Still, why use an unpowered fan for this?

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is that a fan at the top of the image? There's no wires coming out (from what I can see)!

douede

..."Jamicon." Not exactly a top brand capacitor although it tries hard to associate with them using that "con" ending.
It also tries to Jam like a Silmic.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Speaking of the capacitor, the brand name is "Jamicon." Not exactly a top brand capacitor although it tries hard to associate with them using that "con" ending.
I see a 21st Century business opportunity for sure: Comicon condensors (capacitors).
I'll be starting a gofundme anon.

:cool:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a fan at the top of the image? There's no wires coming out (from what I can see)!
Exactly. It could just be a fan frame sans motor and controller, just used to secure the foam air filter. Still weird.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What makes you guys think it's a TPA-3255? It's not even the right package for the TPA.

You can see the solder pigtails from the output MOSFETs clearly- it's more likely a Maxim/IRS style class D driver like the IRS-2092 (16pin)

1637453378913.png

Igor01

Power amplifier ICs are placed between the back of the PCB and the heat sink.

daniboun

Major Contributor
What makes you guys think it's a TPA-3255? It's not even the right package for the TPA.

You can see the solder pigtails from the output MOSFETs clearly- it's more likely a Maxim/IRS style class D driver like the IRS-2092 (16pin)

View attachment 167006

Agree looks like a IRS2092 chip. See my "whataboutaudio" Italian module

Now in the same category you can compare vs a TPA3255 + integrated DSP

Last edited:

Brinkman

I’ve noted the criticisms of this unit issued in this and the review thread. If I understand correctly, the faults of this unit don’t really apply when it’s being used as DSP + power amplifier for a pair of high-efficiency (95dB sensitivity) midbass modules low-passed at 200Hz. Does this sound about right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom