• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio APA1200DSP Review (DSP Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 76 52.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No poll?
I think this is okay for the price and the DSP.
Bridged to a sub that is realky pretty decent power. The performance is fine for any sub and honestly likely fine for the mains. The wattage to 4ohm mains is pretty good. Room correction is far more valuable in many setups vs some crazy high SINAD of whatever number. I believe this is a decent product.
today only at $450 at PartsExpress. Interestingly it is now described as a subwoofer amp https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...Integrated-Digital-Signal-Processing-300-1000

babyk

This amp, the internals are terrible. This amp will not last you 3 months if it does you are lucky. The internals are almost the same with the SPA1200dsp and SPA2400DSP which was a horrible mess everyone knows this. I would pay only 350 for this amp to be honest for small projects not requiring huge output and still i would turn it on everyday to make sure it hasnt failed. I AM WARNING DO NOT SPEND 600+TAX ON THIS AMP YOU WILL CRY AFTER.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...still i would turn it on everyday to make sure it hasnt failed...
This brings up the question whether it is a good practice to keep turning on/off a power amp on a daily regimen... even with some warm-up time to stabilize temperatures before turning it off again.
It is an honest question since since my power amps pipe music 24/7 and never get turned off.

mksound_ht

Hey all,
I was wondering what the frequency response of this amp is like?
I wanted to use it to run a pair of Crowson Tacticle Actuators that perform all the way down to 1hz. I have a feeling the internal DSP is locking out those infrasonic frequencies. below 20hz

Bindou

Hello everyone, so I don't understand, finally to go with the Subwoofer, this DSP amp is still good according to you? Is there a better amp on the market with the same functions? (With an automatic standby mode)

However, I can't find any deals on this device. Currently it is sold for €800, which seems expensive to me. What do you think its power is worth compared to a Crown 2 XLS2502? I'm looking for an amp to power two DIY passive enclosed subwoofers, and I can't find anything that isn't 100% suitable. It's very difficult to find. I would really have liked to move it into the garage, and therefore control it via Bluetooth/Wifi or RJ45 and have an automatic standby mode. Without having to sacrifice the power part. I didn't think it would be difficult to find in 2023.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, so I don't understand, finally to go with the Subwoofer, this DSP amp is still good according to you? Is there a better amp on the market with the same functions? (With an automatic standby mode)

However, I can't find any deals on this device. Currently it is sold for €800, which seems expensive to me. What do you think its power is worth compared to a Crown 2 XLS2502? I'm looking for an amp to power two DIY passive enclosed subwoofers, and I can't find anything that isn't 100% suitable. It's very difficult to find. I would really have liked to move it into the garage, and therefore control it via Bluetooth/Wifi or RJ45 and have an automatic standby mode. Without having to sacrifice the power part. I didn't think it would be difficult to find in 2023.
No network or wifi control, but decent quality and power: Hypex Fusion FA501

Bindou

No network or wifi control, but decent quality and power: Hypex Fusion FA501
Thank you for this suggestion. The power part looks excellent. However, it is an internal amp, is there an external version? The amp is destined to be in a rack. Furthermore, unless I'm mistaken, I don't see an automatic standby function or even a Trigger.

The Dayton Audio APA1200DSP is much less powerful than this Hypex in your opinion? Staying within its power range, do you think the distortion rate would be audible for a Subwoofer? I have the impression that there is no amp that meets my needs as much in terms of functionality, but the amp is bad? Is it really insufficient to power a single Sub (4 ohms) (2 HP Dayton 12" 8 ohms) whose performance (db/W/m) should be good?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this suggestion. The power part looks excellent. However, it is an internal amp, is there an external version? The amp is destined to be in a rack. Furthermore, unless I'm mistaken, I don't see an automatic standby function or even a Trigger.
You'll need to figure out how to mount it in a rack... Some inspiration can be found from others that already done that.

It does have an auto standby function, just check the manual.
The Dayton Audio APA1200DSP is much less powerful than this Hypex in your opinion?
The Hypex is a bit more powerful
Staying within its power range, do you think the distortion rate would be audible for a Subwoofer?
Nope
I have the impression that there is no amp that meets my needs as much in terms of functionality, but the amp is bad? Is it really insufficient to power a single Sub (4 ohms) (2 HP Dayton 12" 8 ohms) whose performance (db/W/m) should be good?
I think it would be fine, but for the money, it's not super good value imho.

Bindou

You'll need to figure out how to mount it in a rack... Some inspiration can be found from others that already done that.

It does have an auto standby function, just check the manual.

The Hypex is a bit more powerful

Nope

I think it would be fine, but for the money, it's not super good value imho.
And compared to the Crown XLS 2502, how does the Hypex Fusion FA501 stack up in your opinion? According to my interpretation of the measurements, I have the impression that the power part is very close in terms of performance. As for the advantage of the Crown, it is that it is already in an external format. Which also makes it very good value for money. What do you think the Hypex has left as an advantage?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Crown should have plenty of power. Obviously, note that the Hypex plate amp is just a single channel (there are dual versions as well, just not 2x500W). SINAD-wise, the Hypex will be much better, but as noted before, for a sub, you will not notice. The Crown DSP is also way more limited than the Hypex one.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Their older SA1000 (I think that’s right) is a stout sub amp. If that + a miniDSP 2x4HD are cost-wise similar I would go that way. I think miniDSP has a USB to wifi adapter as well, so you could control a 2x4HD over the network. But check with them to confirm.

I'm looking for an amp to power two DIY passive enclosed subwoofers, …

IMO 2 subs are best used with separate processing and amplification for each. I would not run 2 subs off of 1 channel.

Bindou

My initial idea was rather to use 2 x APA1200DSP to power these 2 subwoofers of 4 ohms each. The point is to have an individual calibration for the two Subs and to connect them to the LFE 1 and LFE 2 channels of the HC amp, in order to obtain the best possible phasing in relation to the listening point. With 2 subs (2 HP of 12" each, or 4 HP of 12" in total), the sound pressure / w being very high, I am not sure I need a lot of electrical power to reach a big level sound. If I multiply the HP, it is both to reduce the modes of the part, but also the mechanical distortion of the HP, as well as the mechanical vibrations. The fact is that it is a semi-recessed installation, there is a lot of physical constraint to obtain a good sound level without causing mechanical vibrations. Not to mention that the amps must be in the garage to optimize space and reduce overheating problems in the living room cabinet, in short !

I continue my reflection with now 5 amplification models selected. However, I notice that the APA1200DSP has not been available for a while on many sites. Does anyone have any idea why? In reality this project could have been completed with the APA when it was 500€/unit, but now, I can no longer find any for less than 800€/unit, which is beyond my budget.

Thank you very much for all these pertinent comments in any case. It is very enriching. On the other hand, I don't know if it's my English that's lacking or my technical knowledge, but @jhaider , what is "IMO 2 subs"?

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My initial idea was rather to use 2 x APA1200DSP to power these 2 subwoofers of 4 ohms each.

That's the way to do it - separate processing and amplification for each sub.

That said, the most convenient way to process multiple subwoofers is to use a separate controller with multiple channels that work on through one user interface. Switching between individual device front ends can be a pain. If your amps have reasonably high input sensitivity miniDSP 2x4HD is a very good, and economical option. I think the 2x4DSP + 2x SA1000 would be a very solid combination.

Thank you very much for all these pertinent comments in any case. It is very enriching. On the other hand, I don't know if it's my English that's lacking or my technical knowledge, but @jhaider , what is "IMO 2 subs"?

"In my opinion, 2 subs..." That's what you plan to do. I wasn't clear from your first post if you intended to run both subs from a single processed channel.

Bindou

That's the way to do it - separate processing and amplification for each sub.

That said, the most convenient way to process multiple subwoofers is to use a separate controller with multiple channels that work on through one user interface. Switching between individual device front ends can be a pain. If your amps have reasonably high input sensitivity miniDSP 2x4HD is a very good, and economical option. I think the 2x4DSP + 2x SA1000 would be a very solid combination.

"In my opinion, 2 subs..." That's what you plan to do. I wasn't clear from your first post if you intended to run both subs from a single processed channel.
Hi !
The idea of 2x4DSP is relevant. In addition, I could add it later, if the DSP of the HC amp is not enough and if my final choice is a device without auto correction. On the other hand, regarding the 2x SA1000, I don't know if I want to go back to class AB, which is bulky and heats up a lot at high powers. Currently I'm hesitating with 3 devices.

- > PARADIGM X-850:
- Ready to use and having a powerful DSP.
- But very expensive.

-> SVS SB-13 Ultra Upgrade Kit:
- Good price, excellent power, and perfect Blutooth control to install it in another room.
- But requires the construction of a perforated box. And can only drive one subwoofer.

- > XLS2502 CROWN:
- Good price, excellent power, and its integrated ventilation perhaps allowing a longer lifespan.
- But no automatic standby. And the relay to achieve this does not allow energy consumption to be lowered to the lowest level.

I can't decide...

Last edited:

Bindou

Could the XLS2502 CROWN drive two 4ohm Subs while ensuring the separation of the LFE1 and LFE2 channels and with enough power? If so, that would still be an argument in favor of the latter. The SVS Kit can only control one Sub...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand, regarding the 2x SA1000, I don't know if I want to go back to class AB, which is bulky and heats up a lot at high powers.

I think it’s G (stepped voltage rails) not AB. But I referenced it because it works well, is reasonably economical, and works well.

- > PARADIGM X-850:
- Ready to use and having a powerful DSP.
- But very expensive.

And a very poor choice. ARC will EQ each one “flat” individually, which is a terrible idea. They really need to modernize ARC Genesis to be a controller that combines multiple “end points” (Paradigm or MartinLogan) into a single system.

-> SVS SB-13 Ultra Upgrade Kit:
- Good price, excellent power, and perfect Blutooth control to install it in another room.
- But requires the construction of a perforated box. And can only drive one subwoofer.

Don’t know this one, but intuitively speaking it’s part of a closed system, and the limiting may not be appropriate to your drivers.

- > XLS2502 CROWN:
- Good price, excellent power, and its integrated ventilation perhaps allowing a longer lifespan.
- But no automatic standby. And the relay to achieve this does not allow energy consumption to be lowered to the lowest level.

Needs an external DSP controller but otherwise a fine choice. Wiring in a relay is pretty easy, though I haven’t checked power consumption at standby. I have one of these to drive two subs in our 2ch system, should my ATI AT4007 ever sell. (Right now that 7ch amp is driving 2 speakers and 3 subs - and doing just fine at it!)

Bindou

I think it’s G (stepped voltage rails) not AB. But I referenced it because it works well, is reasonably economical, and works well.

And a very poor choice. ARC will EQ each one “flat” individually, which is a terrible idea. They really need to modernize ARC Genesis to be a controller that combines multiple “end points” (Paradigm or MartinLogan) into a single system.

Don’t know this one, but intuitively speaking it’s part of a closed system, and the limiting may not be appropriate to your drivers.

Needs an external DSP controller but otherwise a fine choice. Wiring in a relay is pretty easy, though I haven’t checked power consumption at standby. I have one of these to drive two subs in our 2ch system, should my ATI AT4007 ever sell. (Right now that 7ch amp is driving 2 speakers and 3 subs - and doing just fine at it!)
Thank you Jhaider, well it's decided, I'm going with the XLS2502 CROWN, available for €550. Which I will complete with an external DSP if the need arises. Good luck to you.

nick-v

Dang, I was looking at picking up an APA1200DSP until I saw this review. Guess I'm going to try a bridged Hypex NC502MP instead (1000 watts @ 4 Ohms, 1200 watts @ 8 Ohms). Small package, no fans...

I'll add a miniDSP 2x4 HD or Flex for the low end boost and subsonic filter (18" subwoofer in a compact, sealed enclosure).

Palmspar

I use the hypex fa501 to drive a dual opposed 12 inch scan speak subwoofer.
The power for 2 woofers parallel is not that much 400w@2ohm, but the tuning in HFD is very easy with a calibration mic to check the adjustments in REW.
You can give almost every sealed sub/box combo a flat response 22hz+-3db or deeper if good drivers are used.
The output curve from the svs sb2000 was my reference goal, red line is svs sb2000 and green is the dual scan speak.
I used minimal filters in HFD, 1 Asymmetric shelf too boost the low end and 2 boostcurves to tame the dips and peaks.

20231213_183659 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom