• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Davidlouis Full Range VX8+ VX8 Dual drivers

petterssonfan

Well I'm new here,
Hopefully some of my ideas show more welcomed response from my recent rexperiences over at Audiogon and DIY sites.

Anyway.. here goes, hopefully you can fllow most of what I say/how i express myself. (DIyers made some adhominem attacks, saying I write in broken english..I left).
Its a experiement of sorts.
Dual FR drivers in one system,, the DIYers said
**wont work,, WE (collectively) already tried it, its NOT going to work..***
WEll I am stubborn.
What inspired me to attempt this pairing of 2 FR is this
Quite often I am listening to my favorite classical music symphonies of Schnittke, Pettersson, Henze, also Schoenberg, Webern, Berg many others,,and long story short,, there are quiet passages which a xover low sens speaker just failed to pick up the nuances..
Now began my journey into FR.
FRom trying out 5-7 FR speakers,, I hit on the davidLouis line
Ordered the DavidLouis W4 Nd driver and was pleased.
Moved to their VX8 and , wow, now we are talking.. Aftera few months, I thought of adding the W4 , sitting on my shelf, , thought,,,**hummm what if..** So hooked it ina small cab above the VX8,, Diana Kralls' voaice took on new charms. Like wowo I never thought Diana had such talents.

... Yet I thought,, not up to same fidelity as the VX8. ...months went by,,what if,, we add the VX6.
Now we are talking.
Sure if we take my speaker to Carlson's Lab and he places all his measuring gadgets, tests on his graph readings, etc,,, finds there is distortion, and other nasties, uglies all over his tests... well what is that to me???
I am now hearing details and nuances in Pettersson's symphonies that somehow do not come through with the same force and vividness, as when we listen to a single FR VX8.

The DIYers gave 2 thumbs down witha big BAAA Humbug. saying in effect,,** we did not approve you take on such a design as a Duo FR, and we will not agree this speaker is a winner,,as you say, its a loser,,,just like you area loser...** basically thats their last posts to me topic.
What a bunch of scrouges..
anyway, ck the video out.
Feel free to say whatever you wish.
I can take it.
I'm tough skin , as the snides from Audiogonners have toughened my skin.
Audiogonners show absoluetly zero interest in FR./
Full range , really these drivers are Full MIDRANGE Drivers,,with some bass and some highs.

Keep in mind this amp is my techs' UX250 with COBALT Out trans.. Out of production, he paid $1100 each back in late 1990's.
For 6 watts, this lil SET has some slam. But bass /highs are somehwhat rolled off.

DavidLouis DL VX8 $550 DLVX6 $325
No xover, hooked parallel wired.
Seas W18E001 hasa 20uf Mundorf Silver Supreme, Philips hasa Mundorf SESGO 8.2 cap.

OP
P

petterssonfan

Here is a older video with the DLVX8 showing bass response,
Sony cam quality is lousey,,
This is a Hans Henze track dual kettle drums.
This video does no justice to how it sounds in real time.
But at least you get an idea that FR can and do actually have pretty good bass.
There is sooooo much mis-interpretaions out there about how a FR performs, what it can and can not do.
btw these 2 DLVX's were released in 2020.
These are BRAND NEW designs.
Fostex, Mark Audio many others designs are now 5+ yrs OLD.

I think what the tech there in china decided, was to make a driver that has a nice overall balanced presentation,, but with FOCUS on midrange.

As Josh at Madisound mantra, **You can get 2 of the 3 froma speaker,,, but never 3 of 3..***
The DL tech understood this physics principle very well.

Foremost up front and center was ~~midrange fq's.

Actually had i miced further away,, would have been higher quality,,, the mic distorts too close range,,oh well, no time to amke,,well tell ya what,, maybe later today I will make a 2nd vid

Top Bottom