• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Datasat LS10 AV Processor Review

SinnerSaint

+
General:

Comments have gone off the specific unit reviewed [thanks amirm] & into the SQ [+ value] of A/V preamps.

Here's my solution [attack at will]:
universal player [w/best video possible] coaxial digital output to 2 channel DAC. XLR from a balanced DAC to the pre/pro.

Therefore bypassing the pre/pro DAC for stereo listening [using pre/pro bypass as well]. Multi-channel signals would go from the player to the pre/pro directly via HDMI [not as critical/though still want the best for the buck sound].

A compromise, an added expensive, & limiting as to which pre/pro [even many HiEnd preamps are w/o balanced inputs] for sure.

However, get my stereo listening to the level of quality & affordability desired. W/the pre/pro that best suits my multi-channel needs as well.

Waiting to at least CES 2021 to see what may be available.

Enjoy.
Clarifying:

Only two channel sources would go to the DAC & only two channel sources available [duh] to the digital output of the universal player would be accessed.

Would send all multichannel sources directly to the pre/pro [digitally].
#OfCourse

celroid

I returned a second hand RS20I nearly a year ago because the noise floor wasn't good enough with my relatively sensitive Hypex 502MPs. Looking at the results above seems they were a bad match.
Curious, did you try using the digital outs and running each channel to an individual dac and amp?

Krobar

Curious, did you try using the digital outs and running each channel to an individual dac and amp?
I did not. The RS20I was already expensive before external DACs and I was factoring in potential future repair costs which could be huge.

An AV40 had a slightly better noise floor on XLR (Significantly better on RCA), was cheaper with more features and even works properly these days. If I had been in the market for power amps as well I think some bufferless NC500s would have had a superb noise floor with the RS20I but I already had Hypex 502MPs.

Andysu

Major Contributor
£12 grand and it can't do proper Dolby 4.2.4 matrix nor has NR on it for some movies or tv shows where I have noticed hum and hiss. Nope not for me and it can't do five screen or below surround, £12k daylight robbery. oh by the way, just how fast is it at switching videos how long does it take for video and audio to sync when switching video mode.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
£12 grand and it can't do proper Dolby 4.2.4 matrix nor has NR on it for some movies or tv shows where I have noticed hum and hiss. Nope not for me and it can't do five screen or below surround, £12k daylight robbery. oh by the way, just how fast is it at switching videos how long does it take for video and audio to sync when switching video mode.
I think you will find that all the current processors have their strengths and weaknesses. AV processors have to balance so many of the available features and processing options out there that no single processor can hit on the combination which is important to every possible user. That's why its important to shop for the one that has the options which are important to you. Most of them are excellent, but they all differ in different ways to appeal to the widest user base.

babar

Forum Donor
Hi Everyone,
I’ve been offered the DataSet LS10 with all options (image attached) for $11,000
I'm looking to benefit from Dirac in my home cinema.
I'm using the Bowers and Wilkins 802D, HTM2 D, 805’s, b&w surrounds, 4 ceiling speakers, & a golden ear sub.
I haven’t been able to find much in terms of information in the data set with new addons and wanted to know what would be the reccomend Ed route. My budget maxes out around $12,000
Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 526c1deb-e159-4d44-ae96-19da7d0907c2.jpeg
    526c1deb-e159-4d44-ae96-19da7d0907c2.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 37

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s outdated, and the price is high.
Get a Storm, or a Trinnov.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’ve been offered the DataSet LS10 with all options (image attached) for $11,000
New or used?
If that's used it's too high, they're only $12,500 new.
Personally I'd go with the new Marantz AV10 for $7,000, maybe discounted lower.
Same 15.4 channels, Dirac included.
YMMV

babar

Forum Donor
Thanks. I am going to be buying it in Dubai and none of these guys have local dealers sadly.
Sadly can't find a local Arcam dealer.

I was thinking of the MarantzAV10 which would replace my existing Marantz 8805. Interestingly the dealer for DataSet said that's a Class C compared to his offering of a Class A DataSatLA10.

been reading a bit about Direct Live ART and taking the opinion of perhaps waiting till this is becomes more available. if the AV10 will have it then I'd buy it now but so far nothing confirmed.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. I am going to be buying it in Dubai and none of these guys have local dealers sadly.
Sadly can't find a local Arcam dealer.

I was thinking of the MarantzAV10 which would replace my existing Marantz 8805. Interestingly the dealer for DataSet said that's a Class C compared to his offering of a Class A DataSatLA10.

been reading a bit about Direct Live ART and taking the opinion of perhaps waiting till this is becomes more available. if the AV10 will have it then I'd buy it now but so far nothing confirmed.
Your dealer is just making things up. There is no such classification and in the unlikely chance he was referring to amplification topology, that's wrong too. I would strongly encourage you not to purchase from someone who lies to your face freely.

MinMan

Why not buy the Denon AH1 (Marantz AV10 if you want balanced output) - you may be happier in the long term.

babar

Forum Donor
thanks. any color on whether this will have Dirac Live Active Room Treatment (ART)?
want to make sure what I get will have it given it's a big upgrade from Dirac

Top Bottom