• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dark Theme

Sin Hizer

I really have enjoyed reading the forum so far. Could you add a dark theme to the viewing choices?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Chrome has a "High Contrast" extension...

1544332265983.png

Wombat

Master Contributor
Is Death Metal taken to the absolute end by some fans? Has any body really cut their wrists whilst listening to Leonard Cohen or Marianne Faithful?

What am I missing, here? :facepalm:

Last edited:

wadec22

I tried the extension for a bit per your suggestion and didn’t enjoy it as much as a native solution that already exists as a number of easily downloaded files in XenForo.
Please share! I use the ext but would love a different solution

OP
S

Sin Hizer

Is Death Metal taken to the absolute end by some fans? Has any body really cut their wrists whilst listening to Leonard Cohen or Marianne Faithful?

What am I missing, here? :facepalm:

Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They are a bummer for me too as these platforms go through incompatible upgrades and overnight obsolete the extensions. And given the low demand, many of the extension developers disappear too, leaving you with no option. So in this case, my preference is to create the theme myself but it is huge amount of work as everything needs to be recustomized and tested to make sure it is legible.

I do see the value myself though when reading the forum in bed so am inclined to put in the work at some point to get it done.

Dark themes also save power on OLED displays used in phones and tablets (since less pixels are lit up).

Bamboszek

Actually it is possible to change skin and end user by using browser extension like Stylish. I bet there are some ready-made dark skins for XenForo at userstyles.org

OP
S

Sin Hizer

They are a bummer for me too as these platforms go through incompatible upgrades and overnight obsolete the extensions. And given the low demand, many of the extension developers disappear too, leaving you with no option. So in this case, my preference is to create the theme myself but it is huge amount of work as everything needs to be recustomized and tested to make sure it is legible.

I do see the value myself though when reading the forum in bed so am inclined to put in the work at some point to get it done.

Dark themes also save power on OLED displays used in phones and tablets (since less pixels are lit up).

In for testing. Software tester here.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually it is possible to change skin and end user by using browser extension like Stylish. I bet there are some ready-made dark skins for XenForo at userstyles.org
If you all want to try one to recommend, that would be great. Something tells me they will screw up the images and such but let's see.

OP
S

Sin Hizer

If you all want to try one to recommend, that would be great. Something tells me they will screw up the images and such but let's see.

I would say a shotgun type approach would work. I went to the link I posted above, filtered by free, and then sort by downloads descending and got these:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/shades-of-grey.5812/

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/shades-of-blue.6394/

Just to start with. Couple of options anyways. Can't hurt to add, then people that even care can choose them and reply back.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest.

Film Noir and 'dark themes': https://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

I obviously missed the fact that someone wasn't happy with the forum's 'graphical representation'. I hope we get a choice if there is a change. I am happy with what we currently have, as it is easy on the eyes.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Plenty. You could try asking nicely if you really wanted to know.

I did ask "what am I missing here"?
Is "pretty, please , what am I missing here"?, more acceptable.
shrug.gif

Not to worry, I worked it out for myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom