• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dared MP 5BT Valve Speaker/Headphone Amp or better alternative?

Silgalias

Hi there folks, I have been considering getting my hands on a valve amp and was considering the Dared MP 5BT.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GKZNJV3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A12LYJB2612SHL&psc=1
Does anyone have any experience with this? I understand it has been about for around 20 years and this is the latest version with Bluetooth.
Any incites would be welcome or suggestions for an alternative under £350/$500.
I have Sundara headphones and a variety of IEM`s and would be looking to drive some Vietta Neo 10`s, Warfdale Diamond 9.1`s and maybe my old EPOS E14`s.
My music tastes are varied but mainly Classic Rock, Jazz, Progressive, Ambient and Metal.
I have looked at a wide selection of valve headphone amps, though mainly the hybrid type as I use planar`s, but decided I would like something that could also drive speakers.
Thanks

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one (since 15y or so) and was typing a relatively long response when you killed your first post (and my response). :)
Long story short: a nice fun amp, reliable, would buy it again BUT not Hi-Fi by any means. Obviously not loud, but OK for normal listening levels. I even used it (for fun) to drive Giya G3s for a week. Not suitable for Classic Rock/Metal imho. Jazz, progressive, ambient very fine.
Provides a totally different, agreeable but not accurate, sound. (not really tested with headphones)
IMG_20210604_234820.jpg

OP
S

Silgalias

So sorry it was accidental deletion. I was editing an error and screwed things up!

OP
S

Silgalias

Can you suggest something with a better sound? One of the alternatives I was looking at was the Blue Aura V401 Hybrid Valve Amp but it was quite a bit more expensive at £500 and doesn`t have a headphone out but essentially looks very similar with the pre amp valves and the volume valve.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you suggest something with a better sound? One of the alternatives I was looking at was the Blue Aura V401 Hybrid Valve Amp but it was quite a bit more expensive at £500 and doesn`t have a headphone out but essentially looks very similar with the pre amp valves and the volume valve.

I don't have much experience with different models of that type of amp. It's markedly different from any solid-state amp (and even the bigger tube hybrid) I own, but not in a subjectively bad way. It also appears to be sensitive to tube rolling (I have Gold Lions and Sovtek currently) which means you can have "different" amplifiers for little added expense. I used it in my office for years as it isn't tiring at all (no surprise, severe deficiency in high treble (confirmed with REW sweeps). If you are buying it as your only amp, I would definitely recommend you forget about those cool-looking tube hybrids and go for a solid-state one (many cheap good ones reviewed here) and use a tube sound plugin in your path if you want a taste of honey.

OP
S

Silgalias

Thank you for your response. I have a selection of amps. An old mission cyrus 2, my Vietta VR610 digital AV reciever a Schiit Magni Heresy/Modi 3 stack for my desktop. Unfortunately my Cyrus and Epos E14`s are in Spain and I am stuck in the UK at the moment. So my only speaker amp is the Vietta AV receiver.
I am indeed looking to roll the tubes as the very purpose of the amp. I have wanted to experiment with valves since I listened to my friends old Quad 4 valve amp through his Warfdale corner cabinet speakers. OMG what a sound! I do not expect to replicate it on my budget but it would be nice to get a feel.

OP
S

Silgalias

Just wanted to say a big Thank You for all the input. I finally went with the Dared MP 5BT and have been totally blown away by the sound quality.
Paired with my new Borea BR03 speakers the sound was jaw dropping. I am most happy with this amp. In the long term I plan to give it to my son as a university setup but I will have a hard time parting with it.
I now have my eye on a Willsenton R8 for myself as an end game valve amp. Being able to switch from KT88`s to EL34`s with a switch on the back was a big pull for me.

bob_hopfner

I wanted to ask about the op amps in this unit. Are they soldered in or are they in DIP sockets? I am interesting in possible op amp rolling along with rolling the tubes. Thanks!

OP
S

Silgalias

I wanted to ask about the op amps in this unit. Are they soldered in or are they in DIP sockets? I am interesting in possible op amp rolling along with rolling the tubes. Thanks!
I am a layman in terms of electronics, so I have not opened my unit. Though I have replaced the original 6N1 and 6N2 valves with some Russian military 6N1P-ev/6N2P-ev and there was a definite improvement to the soundstage and instrument separation even to my old ears.
The person you should ask is Connie at Newsong.
[email protected]
She should be able to give you the information you need. I have found her to be most helpful.

Top Bottom