• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Daphile v 21 won't boot on Intel NUC

ferasouder

I just received a used new 2017 Intel NUC7PJYH (with an optic sound port 1/8).

-I try to swap my Daphile already installed and working HD in the NUC. I received a error message : no device bootable. I set the Bios in different way, with Linux setting without automatic on graphic..., I reset to default, nothing to do. I can boot with this HD a Lenovo micro and a old Dell ATG.

- I reinstalled fresh the last version of Daphile, nothing change, always the same error message.

-I try to install Linux Mint cinnamon v. 18 and the NUC was working very well. I booted also from my USB key.

Regards,

Jean

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received a used new 2017 Intel NUC7PJYH
I received a error message : no device bootable.
Daphile may be configured to use "Legacy Boot", but newer PCs are usually configured to use UEFI Secure Boot by default. If you have not already done so, try enabling Legacy Boot in BIOS.

OP
F

ferasouder

It is impossible to enable because this set up is not there. I should find out if there is with old FW. There is in near future hope with a new version of Daphile ? Did you try with new computer ?
Regards,
Jean

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe UEFI secure boot problem? Did you try disabling secure boot?

linuxfan

Yes, I suspect the "Legacy boot" options will become available once you disable "Secure boot", as phofman suggested.
At that point you should be able to select to boot from USB - but I found that my Pentium Silver motherboard still failed to detect a bootable USB device, until I moved the USB flash drive to a USB2.0 port. If this is the case for you, the only USB2.0 ports available on your NUC are via an internal header.

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it is for install, and blocking as USB 2.0 ports may not be accessible (no wires), I would install on another PC, then move the disk to the NUC.

OP
F

ferasouder

Yes, I suspect the "Legacy boot" options will become available once you disable "Secure boot", as phofman suggested.
At that point you should be able to select to boot from USB - but I found that my Pentium Silver motherboard still failed to detect a bootable USB device, until I moved the USB flash drive to a USB2.0 port. If this is the case for you, the only USB2.0 ports available on your NUC are via an internal header.
I had installed a two years old Linux Mint v. 18 with an USB key (but not the same) on my internal NUC's HD, every thing went well, Linux works fine from the HD. But I just realised that I never read my HD with Daphile with an other computer to know if there is sometime on. Tomorrow morning.

linuxfan

I had installed a two years old Linux Mint v. 18 with an USB key (but not the same) on my internal NUC's HD, every thing went well
Yes, but Daphile may set up a partition on the USB flash drive which is a little different than how the Mint installer works. I can say that when I was finished with my Daphile USB installation flash drive, it was quite difficult to delete Daphile's partition information, ready to re-use.

For USB2.0, you should be able to connect a USB header cable just by removing the NUC's bottom plate. Then just leave the bottom plate (with hard drive) to the side of the case while you connect the USB2.0 header, and go ahead and see if the USB flash drive is recognised when connected this way.
Obviously once the installation is complete, just remove the USB header cable and re-assemble the NUC.

Attachments

• usb-header-cable.jpg
    usb-header-cable.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 69
OP
F

ferasouder

My Intel NUC model 7PJYH Celeron 5005 with Bios 057. With Bios set on Linux, without security, I could see my USB key and my former Mint on the HD in the boot section. I inverted the boot order and put the USB Key first.

I booted NUC with my Daphile USB Key. Furthermore, I logged on Daphile with my browser on 192.168.128.1. In the Setting section, I went to the bottom, at Firmware and click new installation and choose the internal HD, and I clicked EFI. After a few minutes, the NUC restarted on Daphile from the HD. So it is working !!!

I went further to know what's wrong with my HD used with my Lenovo. So I boot my faithful Dell Latitude 6400 ATG on Linux Mint and plugged my two Daphile HD.

-The successful one has three partitions : 1. Fat32 EFI boot (100M) 2. Daphile Boot 3. Daphile Data. The second which boot my Lenovo M73 2012 has only two partitions : 2 + 3, not the first one.

I copied the 8000 files of music from the first HD to the second. I did not copy the config file in Daphile data.

Curiously I can set the WIFI and IP Satic but the NUC boot and stop searching for connection. So I use it with HotSpot, I connect my Laptop on Daphile Wifi using the secret password and I can have the Internet too.

The sound is amazing, may be too. Deep bass and very present high and up front. My DAC a Moon 300 is well-known to have a weak USB port, the optic one is quite much better. My Lenovo M73 had only a USB port without optical, why I am trying the Intel NUC.

Now I don't know if I can boot with my HD Daphile with EFI on my Dell and Lenovo, I will not try today, and this week.

Thank You to everybody. It is great to have good Samaritans to help.

The new project for the next five years will be to figure out what the sound quality and technical setting of Daphile are for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom