• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Daphile output to network

edform

I have KEF LSX speakers with their inbuilt DACs and a trial of ROON running on a Shuttle fanless PC under windows. The PC is low power and struggles with some situations, even though I've stripped it bare of background stuff, so I'd like to change to a Linux based server such as Daphile.

The one thing I have not been able to find out from the Daphile website, or any of the forums, is whether Daphile supports connection to the loudspeakers through the network, which is the preferred setup for the LSXs.

Can anyone tell me if it supports that approach?

Ed Form

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Check if you can run a UPnP server on Daphile.

Daphile is developed for direct playback (USB audio).
You might wonder if this is relevant when running UPnP
I wonder if its interface (the music player) is able to select music and send it to a renderer (the KEF).

OP
E

edform

Check if you can run a UPnP server on Daphile.

Daphile is developed for direct playback (USB audio).
You might wonder if this is relevant when running UPnP
I wonder if its interface (the music player) is able to select music and send it to a renderer (the KEF).
The ability to send to a UPnP receiver is the bit that I cannot find out and was hoping that someone in the forum would know. The website is very limited in what it reveals. I'd suck it and see but I'm reluctant to lose the Windows setup on my PC if the Daphile alternative doesn't work.

Ed Form

OP
E

edform

OK. I have my answer. It does not work.

I loaded the current Daphile server to a tiny PC I had lying about and the setup was trivially easy - took all of 5 minutes. However, when I looked in Settings - Audio devices, I was told there were no compatible devices available and the interface offered me no way to hand enter anything.

The KEF LSXs are definitely visible on my network and other audio systems took hold of them and allowed playback through them immediately. ROON, in particular took no more than 10 minutes in total to install it under Windows 10 to read my audio store, display it, add Qobuz and hook it to the LSXs. Looks like I'll have to swallow the cost at the end of the current trial. :oops:

Thanks for helping.

Michel Forbes

There is plug-in available in LMS under the named:
UPnP/DLNA Bridge
When installed your KEF speaker will be detected as a playback device

Michel Forbes

Any chance of a brief how-to?
Ed Form
In Daphile Menu:
Select Settings
Select Advanced Media Settings
Select Plug-ins
In the list select UPnP/DLNA Bridge
Select Apply and Close
The Plugin is now installed, Daphile will propmt you to restart LMS, you could reboot if you want.

If your UpNP/DLNA devices are configured (very often they are)
they will be detected in the available player list in Daphile.

Don't be surprised, the UPnP/DLNA Pkugin may detect TV, Internat Radio, Streamer etc already connected on your network.
If KEF has done their work properly you should have playback.

Regards

OP
E

edform

I was able to start the UpNP/DNLA plugin - I also added Qobuz while I was in the dialogue. Quobuz appeared without problem, but the UpNP plugin didn't offer me any audio devices to connect. I poked around everywhere I could and didn't see a solution.

Perhaps the KEF LSX don't talk the right language??

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT
I realised I had chosen the wrong UpNP/DNLA plugin and found UpNP/DNLA Bridge. Added that and the system immediately showed me the LSX. I can hear music from my speakers downstairs. Yeehaa!

Thank you so much.

Will write up what I did in a day or so, after I blow my ROON system away and load Daphile on the music server PC in the lounge.

Ed Form

Last edited:

Michel Forbes

I was able to start the UpNP/DNLA plugin - I also added Qobuz while I was in the dialogue. Quobuz appeared without problem, but the UpNP plugin didn't offer me any audio devices to connect. I poked around everywhere I could and didn't see a solution.

Perhaps the KEF LSX don't talk the right language??

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT
I realised I had chosen the wrong UpNP/DNLA plugin and found UpNP/DNLA Bridge. Added that and the system immediately showed me the LSX. I can hear music from my speakers downstairs. Yeehaa!

Thank you so much.

Will write up what I did in a day or so, after I blow my ROON system away and load Daphile on the music server PC in the lounge.

Ed Form
The other plug-in permits to use LMS as a UPnP-DLNA server, which may be useful, but in the past, this plug-in had the tendency to slow the LMS indexation.
If you don't need it, uninstall it.
BTW Roon doesn't support DLNA, it's a pity considering the cost asked by Roon.

OP
E

edform

The other plug-in permits to use LMS as a UPnP-DLNA server, which may be useful, but in the past, this plug-in had the tendency to slow the LMS indexation.
If you don't need it, uninstall it.
BTW Roon doesn't support DLNA, it's a pity considering the cost asked by Roon.
Roon instantly recognized the KEF LSXs and offered them as an output, Volumio and Daphile do not, although with your help I now have them running in Daphile - presumably there is a UpNP/DLNA Bridge plugin for Volumio also.

I have Daphile on my Fanless PC in the lounge now, running perfectly. The interface is somewhat crude compared to Roon and Volumio but I can live with it. I have a distinct impression the sound quality is superior to Roon, but audio memory isn't really good enough to judge such things.

I had to alter quite a few settings in the Advanced server/UpNP-DNLA bridge setup. When I first started it up on my PC it would play one track and then apparently move on to the next track, but with no sound output. Solved that with Forced gapless.

I'm just about to write up a HowTo for others who might want to go down this route - I'll start a new thread with it.

Again: many thanks.

Ed Form

Michel Forbes

Roon instantly recognized the KEF LSXs and offered them as an output, Volumio and Daphile do not, although with your help I now have them running in Daphile - presumably there is a UpNP/DLNA Bridge plugin for Volumio also.

I have Daphile on my Fanless PC in the lounge now, running perfectly. The interface is somewhat crude compared to Roon and Volumio but I can live with it. I have a distinct impression the sound quality is superior to Roon, but audio memory isn't really good enough to judge such things.

I had to alter quite a few settings in the Advanced server/UpNP-DNLA bridge setup. When I first started it up on my PC it would play one track and then apparently move on to the next track, but with no sound output. Solved that with Forced gapless.

I'm just about to write up a HowTo for others who might want to go down this route - I'll start a new thread with it.

Again: many thanks.

Ed Form
This UPnP/DLNA plugin is very useful with older streamers.
At home I got an Atoll ST100 (based on Stream Unlimited), it is controlled perfectly with Daphile and the UPnP/DLNA plugin, it's cool to have a common interface to control all your playback devices.

OP
E

edform

This UPnP/DLNA plugin is very useful with older streamers.
At home I got an Atoll ST100 (based on Stream Unlimited), it is controlled perfectly with Daphile and the UPnP/DLNA plugin, it's cool to have a common interface to control all your playback devices.
With some advice offered by other posters, I now have BubbleUpNP on my Android tablet controlling Daphile as the music provider and the LSXs as the renderer - connected direct, rather than via the bridge.

Top Bottom