• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Daphile, Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

aliens72

Im trying to set the audio device as well but there is not a dedicated forum for daphile? Can somebody tell me if this is ok?

Attachments

• dap.jpg
    dap.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 343

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The thread at the squeezebox forum is the closest it gets, and probably the best place to ask. If in doubt go with the defaults - they're well chosen, so don't feel you have to change things just because you can. Many of those settings translate directly to the underlying components like squeezelite, so checking threads or help files on those should tell you what they do.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99132-Call-for-testers!-Daphile

cpcat

Great thread . I have been using Daphile for around 4 yrs now and love it. I have it on a USB stick and use a dual boot config with Windows on a desktop PC. I have minimal to no Linux skills- not required IMO. It upsamples to PCM/DSD/DoP too through SoX for those that want to. I just leave everything at native.

See this thread on SoX here- https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sox-upsampling.20551/

Pirx

I had a server with LMS on old Win7 (on Lenovo T61) that could suspend itself after switching off the last player.

With the WakeOnLan function every player could wake up the server.

Daphile can be manually suspended and ofc player is waking it up.

But where or how can I set Daphile to auto suspend? Was anyone looking for it?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Funny you should ask - I was looking for that and failing to find it a couple of hours ago after checking that WOL worked with the machine it's on. It seems an odd thing for it not to have.

Pirx

Funny you should ask - I was looking for that and failing to find it a couple of hours ago after checking that WOL worked with the machine it's on. It seems an odd thing for it not to have.
That is exactly what comes to my mind - it should be there from the beginning, you can even setup "HDD spin-down" so why not suspend whole server?
What is also odd - digging over net I couldn't find anyone else who was worrying about it in Daphile ... :facepalm:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It seems it doesn't have it - at least someone modified a plugin to get something close to what I expect, though it seems to be triggered by a single idle client rather than the server having no clients connected. I guess it used to be done via the Server Power Control plugin, but that's not been updated in 6 years and isn't even in the list of unsupported extensions any more.

stbourg

Mounting external USB HDD at boot on Daphile.
Hi all,
Anyone more clever than me who knows how to get Daphile to mount an external USB HDD at boot/startup?
I use this command now to mount it > "sudo mount -t ntfs UUID=0804068F0804068F /srv/mediaserver/music/Internal\ Drives/Music"
It works but it's pretty annoying to do it manually everytime Daphile have been shutdown.
I've tried to study on the Gentoo wiki but can't figure it out. The Dev has put this in the "fstab" file >

"# Just dummy entry to disable boot time warning about empty fstab
# Daphile local mounting does not use standard Gentoo process
#
none /media tmpfs rw 0 0"

I tried writing to the Dev but he's not very active.

Hope some can help?

All the best.

Duetta

I've been using Daphile on a home-build AMD-Kabini (5350 CPU) PC for about 7-8 years. I have it running into a Schiit Bitfrost 4490 which is about 6 years old.

My user experience is generally positive except for the software's maddening tendency to very occasionally suddenly stop playing music (even though the display appears to indicate that the track is proceeding). The music never returns when this happens - and I am forced to hard reboot the PC (since the software appears to have become non-responsive).

I don't remember this happening early-on in my experience with Daphile - only later. And this sudden disappearance of music streams is never replicated when I play tracks on the same hardware via DeadBeef with either Puppy Linux or Linux Mint. Has anyone else experienced something similar with Daphile (or any other version of LMS)?

Thanks in advance.

Gee2

how to get Daphile to mount an external USB HDD at boot/startup?

I plugged in a 500GB USB stick and restarted the pc. The vfat stick was recognised automatically in Settings/Storage.

1661297676850.png

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've been using Daphile on a home-build AMD-Kabini (5350 CPU) PC for about 7-8 years. I have it running into a Schiit Bitfrost 4490 which is about 6 years old.

My user experience is generally positive except for the software's maddening tendency to very occasionally suddenly stop playing music (even though the display appears to indicate that the track is proceeding). The music never returns when this happens - and I am forced to hard reboot the PC (since the software appears to have become non-responsive).

I don't remember this happening early-on in my experience with Daphile - only later. And this sudden disappearance of music streams is never replicated when I play tracks on the same hardware via DeadBeef with either Puppy Linux or Linux Mint. Has anyone else experienced something similar with Daphile (or any other version of LMS)?

Thanks in advance.
I have it occasionally with LMS and squeezelite even without using daphile. It seems to be specific files crashing squeezelite when played, at least on my desktop, but I haven't checked the files for corruption or some common factor. I think LMS tries to resume playback when squeezelite is restarted and reconnects, resulting in looping crashes, and it doesn't seem easy to stop it when squezelite is disconnected, so I usually end up restarting LMS before restarting squeezelite. It hasn't frustrated me enough to track down exactly what's going wrong, let alone try to fix it.

Duetta

I have it occasionally with LMS and squeezelite even without using daphile. It seems to be specific files crashing squeezelite when played, at least on my desktop, but I haven't checked the files for corruption or some common factor. I think LMS tries to resume playback when squeezelite is restarted and reconnects, resulting in looping crashes, and it doesn't seem easy to stop it when squezelite is disconnected, so I usually end up restarting LMS before restarting squeezelite. It hasn't frustrated me enough to track down exactly what's going wrong, let alone try to fix it.
Thank you for this reality check. I didn't encounter it for the first several years that I used Daphile. And the strange thing is that I can usually play the same track on either Puppy or Mint and not encounter any error, or once the system is restarted, on Daphile.

But it makes sense that the crashes are related to LMS rather than Daphile (which I otherwise quite like).

Mostmax

Just a heads-up that Daphile had a pair of updates over the past couple of months. After a painless update, I found that the key-bindings/controls now work with a Flirc USB/IR receiver.

Fantastic piece of software.

Top Bottom