• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAP vs nx4 vs LG V20/V30/V40 vs existing Nokia 8 for home listening (in bed, couch, garden).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks - I had overlooked that this model can do streaming spotify - and cheaper than I can buy the Fiio M9 as well. I'll see how I go with my friend's lg g7 phone, and the ES100 unit that I am bidding on ebay, and will keep this on the list of potential options. I also agree that the difference from my Nokia 8 phone output is likely to be marginal (and I'm not the best at listening tests, I fail to distinguish 192 mp3 from flac). So really, its just the buzzing/distortion when the sound gets super low that bothers me about the phone, and I am still flip-flopping over whether I should even bother.

I have the LG G8, and I believe you will be very impressed by your friend's G7.

OP
I have the LG G8
Nice - may I ask if you use TIDAL streaming through UAPP? Or Spotify - which I understand fails to utilise the quad dac?

This is one thing holding me back from this pathway - I can get a spotify family subscription for so much cheaper than tidal, and have already signed up for a year in a group buy.

tential

edit: ok I shouldnt assume M11 will be at all laggy without trying. I have just found the other DAPs I have tried to be a little less responsive than a phone. I do appreciate the input :)

The m11 uses a cpu that's fast enough to run android well. It's not amazing, but from all videos I've seen it's good and works quite fast. I personally prefer to spend more for a snapdragon based dap.

The only daps that would have a faster interface would be the hiby r6, cayin n6ii, and Ibasso dx220(not sure on this one).

The m11 can also act not only as a pc dac, but it can act as a wireless ldac transmitter. Few products will let you do that. I actually can't think of many ldac transmitters for pc.

Personally, I'm not using a dap that doesn't have at least a modern day cpu, because the price I'm paying can easily support that. So with that criteria, I only like the hiby dap and the cayin n6ii.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nice - may I ask if you use TIDAL streaming through UAPP? Or Spotify - which I understand fails to utilise the quad dac?

This is one thing holding me back from this pathway - I can get a spotify family subscription for so much cheaper than tidal, and have already signed up for a year in a group buy.

When you plug something into the headphone jack, or automatically activates the quaddac
Screenshot_20190706-110600.png

After plugging in my Oppo cans:
Screenshot_20190706-110655.png

So, I believe it can be treated just like any other DAC at this point, whatever your source.

I run Tidal through it, both directly and through Roon. It's brilliant. No reason it wouldn't work with Spotify that I can think of. Tidal does have a family plan...

All that aside...what we can walk around with and listen to these days is truly phenomenal in terms of quality.

OP
.what we can walk around with and listen to these days is truly phenomenal in terms of quality
Indeed - and thanks for the reply above.

I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that the quad dac only worked with lg's integrated player, or some other dedicated player, and that tidal would output through the regular dac unless UAPP or the like was used. So thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
OP
- https://www.radsone.com/earstudio

Never tried it myself, but I've heard good things.

Just bought a unit off ebay and wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. This thing is amazing. Built in EQ, works as usb dac, aptx HD support, so many option in an amazing app with full descriptions of what all the settings do, long battery life, support for 2.5mm balanced connection, and the measurements on the radsone website show it's superior to other BT receivers and comparable or superior to many DAPs.

I realise aptx HD is still lossy, but I'm loving the fact that now I can make any headphones into BT headphones...

Anyway, just gushing over this purchase and wanted to come back and thank you for the recommendation, which I might never have come across without you :)

Edit: Also had a listen to my mate's new Lg G7, sounds great, and I might inherit it if he decides android isn't his thing. I particularly like the onboard EQ and the spatial sound settings (even though playing with the latter is a little naughty as it might considerably change the producer's intentions for the listener, it certainly is fun to play with).

Last edited:
OP
Have you thought about smart speakers or powered speakers? I
Can't compromise on the quality so not really interested in portables. I have a JBL xtreme gen 1 but thats at the GFs house because she doesnt know the difference between that and reference quality sound. But yes, otherwise good advice.

Also, totally not finding any listening fatigue with the Westone W60s - they're light and super comfortable, and I generally dont find I suffer from much listening fatigue anyway (particularly given the relatively low volumes I'm able to keep to due to the passive noise cancelling). But yeah I wish I could walk around the house carrying my JBL 308s - there's really no replacement for feeling the music in one's entire body.

PS sorry for the slow reply :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom