• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAP Battery Life and the case for the LG V60

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've recently replaced my LG V30 with the V60 to serve as my primary digital audio player. It is not set up for use a phone. It is used primarily in the car using the aux output, but will also be my DAP for choice when traveling, eg my upcoming 17 hour flight to Singapore in June. I paid $239 for a nominally used but visually perfect unlocked T-Mobile edition V60, about the same as I paid for the V30+ three years ago. I updated it immediately to Android 11 and inserted a 1TB Micro SD card with my music

The only significant difference in audio playback between the newer V60 and the older V30 or G7, G8 etc. is the lack of MQA and greatly extended battery life, the V60 having a huge 5000mA battery. When used without it's optional folding 2nd screen the V60 has the best battery life of any available smart phone. Although I use Tidal the lack of MQA is not a factor for me but the battery life is (for those 17 hour flights for example).

I decided to compare the battery life of the V60 in the manner DAPs are measured, "continuous battery life up to __ hours". Measured with the no other activity and screen off it doesn't present a real world use case but does provide basis for comparison. I thus put the V60 is airplane mode, plugged in my IEMs, ensured that the Quad DAC was activated, and loaded a FLAC playlist (storage is a 1TB Micro SD card) in USB Audio Pro Player for playback at the maximum volume I listen. Beginning battery percent was 80%. I let the playlist play with occasional check of the battery to gauge % battery use/hour. 36 hours later I stopped playback with 30% battery remaining. Quick math yields an estimated 70 hrs of continuous playing time using 100% of the battery.

If that sounds nuts it is. Here are published hours of continuous playback time for a sampling of current and recently available DAPs. Obviously only a handful will survive that LAX-Singapore flight and none comes remotely close to the V60.

Fiio M11 13
Fiio M17 11.5
Fiio M15 13
Fiio M9 26
Shanling M6 11
Activo CT10 10
Apple Ipod Touch 7th ed 40
A&K SR15 10
A&K SR25 mk2 20
A&K SP2000 8
A&K KANN Alpha 14
A&K SA700 8.5
iBasso DX220 8
iBasso DX240 11
Sony NW-WM1Z 30
Sony NW-A105 26
Sony Walkman NW-ZX507 18
HiBy R3 Pro Sabre 19

The V60 is a big device, it's likely not the best choice if your use case is running a marathon with your DAP. But for travel, home use with reasonably efficient headphones, or in the car, it's a helluva thing, offering for less than $300 unrivaled battery life, a beautiful big screen, a high quality DAC, LDAC Bluetooth, and up to 1TB internal storage.

Attachments

• PXL_20220407_132111851.jpg
    PXL_20220407_132111851.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 350
  • PXL_20220407_132042643.jpg
    PXL_20220407_132042643.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Android 12 now available on T-Mobile versions of the V60.

monkeyboy

I use a LG G8 for a media player and it's awesome...I do miss the dedicated function keys on the side however

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Isn't there a power socket under seat?
On some airlines there would be, some not. Singapore Airlines I haven't flown in a while , I'm expecting they will have. I have a 12V connection in the car also but it's nice to be able to dispense with the wire most of the time.

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
FWIW i browsed the data sheet for the ES9219 DAC which replaced the 9218P used in prior Quad DAC phones . I didn't see any claims of increased performance in terms of SNR or other measurements, but I did note significantly reduced power consumption. I assume this contributes to the terrific battery life of the V60 as a music playback device.

DualTriode

Hello All,
I Have the LG V60 with no cell phone provider. The V60 will be for a music player only. I will use blue tooth Ldac some times and wired connection directly to the 3.5 on the phone

This is the plan; rip CD's to the hard drive on my computer with AudioGrabber then the music files to the V60.

I do not know about Music file management on the computer hard drive or the large memory of the V60. I want to make play lists, play the contents of what was on a single CD, song title search.

I also do not know about software music players, Buy one ?, use what is on the phone already?

Should I upgrade the operating system on the V60 before I start?
Without knowing I will start by ripping just a couple of CD's.

Is there a recommended set of guidance for all this done by others before? I know that it is not inventing the wheel.

Thanks DT

monkeyboy

Yup, just rip the files to your hard drive. I then load them onto a microsd card and load that into my LG. I use Poweramp as the player, but VLC works great as well. The player will index the music and the associated tags, allowing you to search on multiple fields. The ripping software should pull info about the album off the internet and populate the tags associated with files/albums. Often the ripping software will have multiple hits for a given album, try to be accurate/consistent with how you select the data for it to use. You can change it latter but it's a pain.

You can update the phone OS now or later, having the music on the SD card isolates it from the OS changes.

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Yup, just rip the files to your hard drive. I then load them onto a microsd card and load that into my LG. I use Poweramp as the player, but VLC works great as well. The player will index the music and the associated tags, allowing you to search on multiple fields. The ripping software should pull info about the album off the internet and populate the tags associated with files/albums. Often the ripping software will have multiple hits for a given album, try to be accurate/consistent with how you select the data for it to use. You can change it latter but it's a pain.

You can update the phone OS now or later, having the music on the SD card isolates it from the OS changes.

Hello All,
I Have the LG V60 with no cell phone provider. The V60 will be for a music player only. I will use blue tooth Ldac some times and wired connection directly to the 3.5 on the phone

This is the plan; rip CD's to the hard drive on my computer with AudioGrabber then the music files to the V60.

I do not know about Music file management on the computer hard drive or the large memory of the V60. I want to make play lists, play the contents of what was on a single CD, song title search.

I also do not know about software music players, Buy one ?, use what is on the phone already?

Should I upgrade the operating system on the V60 before I start?
Without knowing I will start by ripping just a couple of CD's.

Is there a recommended set of guidance for all this done by others before? I know that it is not inventing the wheel.

Thanks DT

I updated to Android 12 (t-mobile edition phone) as soon as I received the phone. No issues.

I use a 1TB micro SD card in the V60 loaded with a about 500GB in FLAC files and another 100GB or so in MP3 files.

I use USB Audio Player Pro to play back both FLAC on the phone and stream Tidal and Qobuz. USBAPP bypasses the Android resampling and also enables full MQA unwrap if you choose to do that. LG does have a music player on the phone but honestly I've never used it. Hiby Music Player and Hifi Cast also work well. Hiby is interesting in that it allows you to remote control file playback on the V60 from another phone with Hiby installed (thus I can use the V60 to control playback on the V30 hooked up to powered speakers (Kali LP-6) in my guest room).

Enjoy the V60.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

It's a bit of a time investment to do the ripping so be sure to backup your collection....also your local library is a great source for music to rip

Destination: Moon

I've just decommissioned my LG V20 for the same purpose. What I like about the 20 is the replaceable battery. It was REALLY tough giving it up for a new phone, that has the battery locked up. So some sleazy ceo can rob me every 3 years and build a mountain of festering electronics that'll poison someone's water one day.... Do I sound angry?

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I've just decommissioned my LG V20 for the same purpose. What I like about the 20 is the replaceable battery. It was REALLY tough giving it up for a new phone, that has the battery locked up. So some sleazy ceo can rob me every 3 years and build a mountain of festering electronics that'll poison someone's water one day.... Do I sound angry?

Condolences. Get another V20?

Not sure about V20 battery life but I tested my V30+ in the same manner as described above for the V60...44 hours estimated max playback time with Quad DAC enabled. That's impressive. And given it's much smaller form factor it has the edge over the V60 if a gym companion is what you're after.

Last edited:

DualTriode

I got the LG V60 hooked up to the WiFi, updated the operating software and installed PowerAmp player software. Also got AudioGrabber up and running on the desktop computer.
Now I get to sort out how PowerAmp player manages the music files. I am peeling back the layers. All this because my upgraded car stereo system thinks that CD's are old school.

Thanks DT

Nango

Major Contributor
I've recently replaced my LG V30 with the V60 to serve as my primary digital audio player. It is not set up for use a phone. It is used primarily in the car using the aux output, but will also be my DAP for choice when traveling, eg my upcoming 17 hour flight to Singapore in June. I paid $239 for a nominally used but visually perfect unlocked T-Mobile edition V60, about the same as I paid for the V30+ three years ago. I updated it immediately to Android 11 and inserted a 1TB Micro SD card with my music

The only significant difference in audio playback between the newer V60 and the older V30 or G7, G8 etc. is the lack of MQA and greatly extended battery life, the V60 having a huge 5000mA battery. When used without it's optional folding 2nd screen the V60 has the best battery life of any available smart phone. Although I use Tidal the lack of MQA is not a factor for me but the battery life is (for those 17 hour flights for example).

I decided to compare the battery life of the V60 in the manner DAPs are measured, "continuous battery life up to __ hours". Measured with the no other activity and screen off it doesn't present a real world use case but does provide basis for comparison. I thus put the V60 is airplane mode, plugged in my IEMs, ensured that the Quad DAC was activated, and loaded a FLAC playlist (storage is a 1TB Micro SD card) in USB Audio Pro Player for playback at the maximum volume I listen. Beginning battery percent was 80%. I let the playlist play with occasional check of the battery to gauge % battery use/hour. 36 hours later I stopped playback with 30% battery remaining. Quick math yields an estimated 70 hrs of continuous playing time using 100% of the battery.

If that sounds nuts it is. Here are published hours of continuous playback time for a sampling of current and recently available DAPs. Obviously only a handful will survive that LAX-Singapore flight and none comes remotely close to the V60.

Fiio M11 13
Fiio M17 11.5
Fiio M15 13
Fiio M9 26
Shanling M6 11
Activo CT10 10
Apple Ipod Touch 7th ed 40
A&K SR15 10
A&K SR25 mk2 20
A&K SP2000 8
A&K KANN Alpha 14
A&K SA700 8.5
iBasso DX220 8
iBasso DX240 11
Sony NW-WM1Z 30
Sony NW-A105 26
Sony Walkman NW-ZX507 18
HiBy R3 Pro Sabre 19

The V60 is a big device, it's likely not the best choice if your use case is running a marathon with your DAP. But for travel, home use with reasonably efficient headphones, or in the car, it's a helluva thing, offering for less than $300 unrivaled battery life, a beautiful big screen, a high quality DAC, LDAC Bluetooth, and up to 1TB internal storage.
Did you receive genuine "LG" labeled iems with that 2nd hand V60?

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Did you receive genuine "LG" labeled iems with that 2nd hand V60?
No. I bought the genuine 25w LG adapter separately for about $15. Same phone can now be had for $175.

Nango

Major Contributor
Tons of fake V60 around, all with no genuine IEM attached. Can't remember which label I think it was B&O or something like that. No such iems attached you got probably a fake V60.

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Tons of fake V60 around, all with no genuine IEM attached. Can't remember which label I think it was B&O or something like that. No such iems attached you got probably a fake V60.

No. Look at unboxing videos from 2 years ago, US version did not include IEM. Mine is legit T-Mobile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115-132835.png
    Screenshot_20230115-132835.png
    479 KB · Views: 93
OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Android 13 update dropped today for T-Mobile . We're still much alive .

Top Bottom