• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dante AVIO Review (streaming audio interfaces)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
so for example instead of Audinate Dante to 2 XLR for $168. Male the Sonifex is $386. I'd love a review of it .
I really advise against using the individual dante dongles (1 for Input and 1 for Output, which I have a few around).
You only need a single PoE RJ45 for the 4x4 I/O modules (XLR/RCA/terminals).
As indicated above, only the Broadway chip does that, at double the price (and ~performance).
You can thank me later... j/k

Morla

Forum Donor
Drawbacks as in: you need specialized switches and you shall not mix dante and avb networks on the wire.

There is a presonus AVB-D16 which can bridge dante and avb networks but you would also have to buy an avb capable switch to get the avb device on the avb network and also allow you to connect to the device (dante and avb network being on different vlans) because that bridge is only bridging the audio over ip packets and does not route regular traffic :) From my consumer point of view avb ia a complete failure because of the switch requirement.

Dante (at least Dante Video) also requires igmp snooping but that's a feature you can easily activate on most common hardware.

Besides my Audinate AVIO AES3 devices I bought one from here https://www.micromedia.ch/?post_type=product because they offered s/pdif rca/toslink I/O they use the ultimo-x. They also offer naked boards they call maker boards without enclosure.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They also offer naked boards they call maker boards without enclosure.
Micromedia/Digimedia Dante hardware designs (on paper) seem to have chops and use high quality piece-parts to even get @amirm's attention. ;)
It would be interesting to compare audio performance versus the generic Audinate Dante dongles he had previously tested and resulted in 'meh'.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for the confusion. My bad!
I am thinking that DigiMedia equivalent (to the Audinate versions tested here @asr) should perform at least a bit (or 2bits) better in the 'noise' department.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That one looks very interesting: ESI Planet 22c
Thank you.
The ones that I had logged-in for "AES-67/Dante-Controllable hardware" (w/varying degrees of features, specs, interfaces) include:
DigiMedia-HPA, SwitchBack-M8RX, Neutrik-Dline/Dpro, GlenSound-AoIP22, AristaEVocal-ARS#, Sonifex-AVN, Tascam-MM2D, Amphenol, RDLabs-AVNL, WhirlWind-LM2, Radial-DiNET, Stewart-NetAV, MuxLab-HDMIdante.
The ESI Planet22 is now part of my list.!
Early last year and on a 'whim, I gambled on an Audiocom AES67/Dante 2 x2 I/O (xmt/rcv) box from aliexpress @$190.
It works and interoperates w/the DanteController and other hardware but sparse on features.

Beginner

几十年来,我一直在等待一些成熟的、开放的标准(没有格式之争),以便通过家庭网络正确路由消费者音频。
在 RadioShack 时代,我使用 FM 发射器;后来我投资了2.4GHz XMT/RCV硬件;然后尝试了一些 WiFi 频段的加密狗;我还密切关注 HDMIoIP 和 HDBaseT 新闻,并关注 AVB。最后,当 AES-67 标准发布(大约 2013 年?)并且 Audinate 的 Dante 加密狗每 I/O 对的成本低于 350 美元时,我愿意再次打开我的钱包。
我在房子周围散布着四 (4) 个音频源(2 通道),它们是在矩阵配置中将任何源联网/切换/流式传输到其他 4 个位置中的任何一个的主要候选者>>。
由于我已经为一些 4k VidCam 运行了 PoE (PowerOverEthernet) 1Gbe LAN 网络,这些适配器最终成为我拥有的最好的全屋音频连接!安装和配置(Dante Controller)非常简单,而且真正是一劳永逸。
白帽amirm 测试结果清楚地表明,当将这些 el-cheapo 适配器/适配器与最新/测试过的 DAC 进行比较时;他们(嗯!)无趣。然而,在任何网络上,AES67 都优于其他 CD 品质音频设备。
一家名为“AudioCom”的公司销售价值 250 美元的双(输入+输出)AES-67 Dante XLR 接口盒(带零文档),我的 Dante 控制器能够识别该盒子并且它可以正常工作(不确定是否可以使用)虽然已更新)

I have been waiting for decades for some mature, open-standard (w/o format wars) for proper routing of consumer audio over home networks.
Back in RadioShack days, I used FM transmitters; later I invested in 2.4GHz XMT/RCV hardware; then tried some WiFi band' dongles; I also kept an ear for HDMIoIP and HDBaseT news, and followed AVB. Finally, when the AES-67 standard was released (circa 2013?) and Audinate's Dante dongles cost under $350 per I/O pairs, I was willing to open my wallet, again.
I have four (4) sources of audio (2 channel) sprinkled around the house, which have been prime candidates for networking/switching/streaming any source to any one of the other 4 locations >> in a matrix'd configuration.
Since I already run a PoE (PowerOverEthernet) 1Gbe LAN-network for a few a 4k VidCams, these dongles ended up being the best whole-house audio connectivity I've had! Installation and configuration (Dante Controller) is a no-brainer and really is set-and-forget.
That white-hat amirm test results clearly show that when these el-cheapo dongles/adapters are compared to the latest/tested DACs; they are (meh!) uninteresting. Yet, AES67 compares favorably to other CD quality audio gear, over any network.
A company named 'AudioCom' sells a $250 Dual (In+Out) AES-67 Dante XLR interface- box (w/zero documentation) and my Dante Controller was able to recognize the box and it just works (not sure if it can be updated though).View attachment 149943
I also bought this device, you can contact the after-sales service of Audiocom ([email protected]), their after-sales service is very nice

Beginner

Thank you.
The ones that I had logged-in for "AES-67/Dante-Controllable hardware" (w/varying degrees of features, specs, interfaces) include:
DigiMedia-HPA, SwitchBack-M8RX, Neutrik-Dline/Dpro, GlenSound-AoIP22, AristaEVocal-ARS#, Sonifex-AVN, Tascam-MM2D, Amphenol, RDLabs-AVNL, WhirlWind-LM2, Radial-DiNET, Stewart-NetAV, MuxLab-HDMIdante.
The ESI Planet22 is now part of my list.!
Early last year and on a 'whim, I gambled on an Audiocom AES67/Dante 2 x2 I/O (xmt/rcv) box from aliexpress @$190.
It works and interoperates w/the DanteController and other hardware but sparse on features.
I remember that this device can adjust the volume, but how to adjust it, you need to go to Audiocom official website to download their software. www.audiocom.cn

Top Bottom