• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danny Richie, GR Research, doesn't recommend a speaker he can't sell an "upgrade" kit for

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He quoted a price for the crossover parts ranging from $750 -1000 depending on the quality of the caps you select!?
As big a waste of money as his power cords. :facepalm:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I fell for Danny's latest clickbait and checked out his video. It got me thinking. Such a lousy FR, had those classic Pioneer HPM-100s
really that? :oops:
Could it not be that the very copy of the HPM-100 that Danny has, the components of the passive crossover filter have simply stopped working properly? Maybe the capacitors have lost their original values, maybe some solder loosened a bit or something else. Ok Danny does a nice job must be added with the new passive crossover filter but it would have been interesting to see how the original filter with the exact same design but with new components would have looked like VS the old one that was in when Danny got the speakers VS the passive crossover Danny created.

Here a screenshot FR before and after Danny's modification with the new filter he created. The upper graph is after his modification. The bottom one is as it looked before with those speakers, 12:15 into the video. Danny also later shows the off -axis response and there is a big difference after his modification:
View attachment 311917

It’s really his TShirts that now bother me. You want to waste money on tube connectors, go right ahead. But stop with the puns on your shirts. You’re 50+ for Gods sake.

Penelinfi

It’s really his TShirts that now bother me. You want to waste money on tube connectors, go right ahead. But stop with the puns on your shirts. You’re 50+ for Gods sake.
Not so much of an issue to me. People don't really "grow up" , and it's like personal preference of music.
I didn't even look at the shirt until you mentioned it; was too busy searching through the graphs :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
But there's an extra A/D and D/A conversion
With lower distortion than most amps, yes.

here are several different ways that digital crossover filters are made. It's not difficult to hear the difference and I bet it's quite measurable (though I have never measured it).
I mean, you can do linear phase or minimum phase, and minimum phase can be IIR or FIR.
Replicating the filters from a passive and active crossover will definitely sound different.
It shouldn't, if you reach the same response.

My only point here is that DSP is not always the best answer, especially when the DSP is cheap.
Yeah, like I noted: op amp filters work just fine too. I tend to prefer them honestly.

Top Bottom