• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan D’Agostino ... What the world needs now is a $250,000 power amplifier ...

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Model : Relentless
$250,000 for the pair of amps in the US o_O
£250,000 in the UK o_Oo_O
AU$449,995 in Australia o_Oo_Oo_O
1,500 watts into 8 ohm speakers, 3,000 watts for 4 ohms and 6,000 watts into 2 ohms
570 pounds (258kgs) :eek:

https://www-cnet-com.cdn.ampproject...-world-needs-now-is-a-250000-power-amplifier/

:facepalm: "D'Agostino loves to cook, so I asked about the parallels between cooking and designing amps, and he said cooking is like organic engineering with flavors and ingredients. Though he has pasta-making machines, he prefers rolling pasta by hand on a granite slab. The sensual aspects of cooking appeal to D'Agostino.
In 30 years of making pizza, he says he never made the same dough twice, for D'Agostino in the kitchen it's all about the feel and taste. He uses an electric pizza oven, but he's seriously considering building a brick oven at home. With food and audio, he's always trying to top himself." :facepalm:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Roughly same price as Boulder's top of the line monoblocks, among others. Too rich for me. Are they sensual?

OP
graz_lag

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Of solid gold right? right?

I am still shocked abt. the quality level of the granite slab on which he likes to roll his hand-made pasta ... Considering how difficult it is nowadays to find out a true pasta rolling granite slab ... I feel so sorry for him ... :eek:

Last edited:
OP
graz_lag

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I see my mistake, my pricing is an order of magnitude too low ;)

I didn't realise he founded Krell. So what Domestic speakers would make use of 6KW?

In France we have Nuclear Power Plants, and abt. 13kW/230V of power for each house/family ... I never thought what the result could be if I would feed my PMC Twenty 5.26 speakers with half of that available power ... o_O

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wonder what needs to be done to the AC supply to be able to deliver this power without the line voltage sinking?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well in the UK 240v 13A plug top, you have 3kW available so might not be an issue unless you listen to sine tones at full bore.

The most common over here is only 120V/15A so us Americans are probably stuck with 1800W without calling in an electrician.

Then again, that probably not much of an issue if you're dropping a quarter mil on an amp...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The most common over here is only 120V/15A so us Americans are probably stuck with 1800W without calling in an electrician.

Then again, that probably not much of an issue if you're dropping a quarter mil on an amp...
Yes, in the UK its nothing that a dedicated spur from the distribution board won't deal with.

OP
graz_lag

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Sure, but do not forget you got with it some dough pizzas rolled on some specially made granite slab ...
Do not forget that's not going to happen that often to you ...

Jorj

Forum Donor

Simply replace your clothes dryer with a couple of these. Most dryers have a 220v outlet. You get dual benefit, the best amplification money can buy (probably not better than AHB2, but hey) and you can toss loads of wet clothes on them to dry off. Win win! Man, I love solving the world's problems.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, in the UK its nothing that a dedicated spur from the distribution board won't deal with.

I wonder if the US versions uses the two phase 240V plugs we have for washers and driers...

Simply replace your clothes dryer with a couple of these. Most dryers have a 220v outlet. You get dual benefit, the best amplification money can buy (probably not better than AHB2, but hey) and you can toss loads of wet clothes on them to dry off. Win win! Man, I love solving the world's problems.

Plenty of power. Not sure its power supply will accept two phases though...

Jorj

Forum Donor
Plenty of power. Not sure its power supply will accept two phases though...

US 220v outlets are summed 2-phase, yes, but that should not matter, as my bet is the transformers in those behemoths are single phase.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
His son made the bully amps, Iv a vague memory he passed away sadly. This things out of my price range for sure but Iv enjoyed his Krell designs over the years.

You are correct, a Google search says he passed away early in 2017. It's always very, very sad when a parent has to see one of their children pass away.

I met both Dan and Bret at a hifi open house. Both very nice people and heavily engineering focused. Also one of the engineers I hold in the highest regard, Kevin Gilmore, had nothing but great things to say about the amps that Dan D'agastino designed at Krell. Gilmore will be absolutely ruthless if your circuits aren't up to scratch so to hear him praise Dan's designs at least left a good impression on me.

Top Bottom