• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

SeriousSam70

Planar magnetic headphones continue to be expensive (or exorbitantly expensive in some cases: Hifiman Susvara, Audeze LCD-4), although the technological principle is relatively old: to my knowledge, the first planar magnetic headphones date back to early '70s (Wharfedale ID1 Isodynamic headphone in 1972, then Fostex T50v0 in 1974).
All manufacturers try to keep the prices high in order to maximize their profits, invoking as a pretext all kinds of innovations or the use of rare/expensive/premium materials (example: Fazor technology, use of metamaterials, carbon fiber, titanium, leather, exotic wood etc.). The truth is that these products are and will continue to be expensive for the simple fact that they address a hobby and people are capable of anything to feed their passions and hobbies and vices.
It is probably true that maybe in 5 years headphones using the newest technology today, like that incorporated in these DCA Stealth, will become accessible for ordinary mortals, but then there will be other headphones using another new technology and other new metamaterials that will have even better technical performance and that will cost also a few thousand dollars and that people will want (but most people will not be able to afford to buy, just as in the case of these DCA Stealth today). However, the true passionate "audiophile" will always find a way (enslaving installments at the bank, selling a kidney, pawning the wedding ring...).

Last edited:

SeriousSam70

And if we are talking about old technologies which are perfected and improved and "re-invented" over and over again, for $ 4500 you can buy a pair of brand-new Audeze CRBN Electrostatic headphones.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if we are talking about old technologies which are perfected and improved and "re-invented" over and over again, for $ 4500 you can buy a pair of brand-new Audeze CRBN Electrostatic headphones.

Mind you that price is also due to the brand pedigree and not because electrostatic' can be expensive.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF LS50 Meta utilizes the same "meta" material that is being used with the Stealth.

”Metamaterial” is a generic term meaning a compound that has had its physical attributes (structure, etc.) changed so that it can accomplish things that it otherwise could not. “Metamaterial” is application-specific, and there is no guarantee that the compound used by KEF and the compound used by Dan Clark Audio are the same.

Here is a good explanation:

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Planar magnetic headphones continue to be expensive (or exorbitantly expensive in some cases: Hifiman Susvara, Audeze LCD-4), although the technological principle is relatively old: to my knowledge, the first planar magnetic headphones date back to early '70s (Wharfedale ID1 Isodynamic headphone in 1972, then Fostex T50v0 in 1974).
All manufacturers try to keep the prices high in order to maximize their profits, invoking as a pretext all kinds of innovations or the use of rare/expensive/premium materials (example: Fazor technology, use of metamaterials, carbon fiber, titanium, leather, exotic wood etc.). The truth is that these products are and will continue to be expensive for the simple fact that they address a hobby and people are capable of anything to feed their passions and hobbies and vices.
It is probably true that maybe in 5 years headphones using the newest technology today, like that incorporated in these DCA Stealth, will become accessible for ordinary mortals, but then there will be other headphones using another new technology and other new metamaterials that will have even better technical performance and that will cost also a few thousand dollars and that people will want (but most people will not be able to afford to buy, just as in the case of these DCA Stealth today). However, the true passionate "audiophile" will always find a way (enslaving installments at the bank, selling a kidney, pawning the wedding ring...).
You don't understand how capitalism works.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People pay many thousands of dollars for watches with the same ETA, Selitta, Soprod et al movements as watches costing a few hundred dollars because they want something like IWC Schaffhausen on the dial. The luxury goods market has its own logic and people either buy into it or they don't. I see more reason to buy these headphones than some luxury goods, equally I get why others would think anyone spending that much on headphones must be bonkers.

Jimmy

SOTA gear, including expensive headphones, fall into what's called veblen goods / luxury goods, like luxury cars, jewerly, etc.

Anyway, it's nothing short of impressive, not only with this model, but also cheaper ones, what Dan Clark has achieved, starting from modding to creating innovative designs, surely with a fraction of the resources that big companies like Sennheiser, Samsung, etc. have.

I don't have any planar magnetic headphones, but these are certainly tempting (although too expensive).

Dan Clark

Audio Company
”Metamaterial” is a generic term meaning a compound that has had its physical attributes (structure, etc.) changed so that it can accomplish things that it otherwise could not. “Metamaterial” is application-specific, and there is no guarantee that the compound used by KEF and the compound used by Dan Clark Audio are the same.

Yes, metamaterial is not a particular material, it's structuring various materials to create effects not found in natural materials. So you could use plastic, metal, or anything appropriate to the part. For us we have to 3D print because the path designs would be very difficult to create any other way, but this has to be done on very expensive laser printers, not filament-style.

It's an interesting topic and the range of applications is really large. For example, we and KEF use quarter wave resonator arrays tuned to multiple frequencies, but the resemblance ends there; think of the effects as a system. KEF uses a matrix of resonators on the vent of a tweeter to absorb rear-side wave energy that otherwise would be projected into an enclosure causing internal reflections/resonances.

AMTS goes between the transducer and ear functioning as a waveguide with diffusion and multiple types of resonators with high and low Q features and "programable" filter frequency and depth. If AMTS were applied to a home stereo, as a metaphor, it'd be a material that fills almost the entire room between the speaker and the listener to reduce room standing wave modes.

It's interesting stuff, for sure!

Haven't read thru the whole thread as it has boomed in a short time.

Can someone or @danclark explain regarding the soft touch feel? What is the case material? Is the soft touch achieved with rubber coating? If that is the way then will that not get tacky with time or doesn't last long?

Thanks.

Soft touch? Not sure what you reference except the ear pad? If so that's the type of microfiber used on high-end car seats. Nothing here is rubberized.

Paolo

Interesting interview with Dan Clark about the Stealth engineering …

The interesting bit are:

• They’re going to offer new ”meta materials” versions or mods for other DC headphones

• An open back Stealth is not ruled out

For comfort reasons I would gladly prefer an open version of the Stealth…

Paolo

I’m finding amusing all the talk about price.
It seems like the first time here where people are not complaining because the product doesn’t deserve to be priced as it is, but only because every single one of us want one of those.
It is more on the line of complaining with evolution because only birds can fly…

woof!

This meta material thing is used for Helmholtz resonators right? So in that case, while the meta material is a new approach for plannar magnetic headphone, other company like Sennheiser already use other material to do the same thing for some time e.g Sennheiser IE-900 I have IE-900 for a few months now. It's my daily driver along with he6se v2. It sounds really good but those 3 Helmholtz resonator doesn't magically turn an IEM into an open back planar magnetic.

Dogcoop

Hi @amirm

Does the RME ADI-2 FS DAC do the Stealths’ justice? Or do they need a more powerful headphone amp?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

xykreinov

Forum Donor
If Dan makes an open-back variant of the Stealth, I would get it and the closed-back, then not have to think about my desk headphone setup ever again.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
People pay many thousands of dollars for watches with the same ETA, Selitta, Soprod et al movements as watches costing a few hundred dollars because they want something like IWC Schaffhausen on the dial. The luxury goods market has its own logic and people either buy into it or they don't. I see more reason to buy these headphones than some luxury goods, equally I get why others would think anyone spending that much on headphones must be bonkers.

Agreed. The difference between a Rolex and this is that a Rolex isn’t a better time keeper (it’s ultimate raison d'être) than many other watches costing a fraction of the price. And, indeed, a Rolex will cost you sun DTs tusks more than something else doing the same job, equally as well.

Whilst these headphones are clearly expensive, they don’t cost as much more as a Rolex.

At the moment, as far as I’m aware, if you want this performance, this is the only game in town.

triggsviola

Did you have any issues with microphonics with the cable? I find many closed-back headphones to be incredibly microphonic. Except Audeze.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. The difference between a Rolex and this is that a Rolex isn’t a better time keeper (it’s ultimate raison d'être) than many other watches costing a fraction of the price. And, indeed, a Rolex will cost you sun DTs tusks more than something else doing the same job, equally as well.

Whilst these headphones are clearly expensive, they don’t cost as much more as a Rolex.

At the moment, as far as I’m aware, if you want this performance, this is the only game in town.

My daily wear is a Huawei GT2 smart watch. Absolutely accurate and with functionality mechanical watches can't dream of (including an excellent health tracker). If it was only about the time it's the only watch I would own. However I love mechanical watches and have a small collection including a Blancpain that cost a lot more than these headphones. So I totally get why people will buy these and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Any luxury purchase is subjective and as with anything subjective it is very personal and tends to solicit strong opinions on all sides.

deprogrammed

Really?
If it doesn't sound at least decent I don't care what's playing. I even get annoyed when the sound isn't at least of some quality. It can be the best song in the world, I wouldn't enjoy it.
I will take some Grateful Dead playing on a Bluetooth speaker with some friends around a campfire over listening to the same over a nice stereo. Music is part of an experience to me. A decent stereo enhances it. But other things can even more. I was at the local watering hole last night with some old and new friends, having a grand time. My song came up on the jukebox. The Cars - Just What I needed. A table of younger folks just started singing along. Perfect.

Dan Clark

Audio Company
This meta material thing is used for Helmholtz resonators right? So in that case, while the meta material is a new approach for plannar magnetic headphone, other company like Sennheiser already use other material to do the same thing for some time e.g Sennheiser IE-900 I have IE-900 for a few months now. It's my daily driver along with he6se v2. It sounds really good but those 3 Helmholtz resonator doesn't magically turn an IEM into an open back planar magnetic.

A Helmholtz or quarter-wave resonator is not a metamaterial, they are simple resonators and can be made of any rigid material. A metamaterial is a system not a type of "material" in a literal sense.

The metamaterial is an array of waveguides, diffusion, and resonators of multiple type/function together to cover a huge range of response, from 3K up to ultrasonic. The actual material isn't the issue other than for manufacturability, etc. There are natural helmholtz and quarter wave resonators, but there are not natural arrays or structures of these things, that's what a metamaterial is.

"A metamaterial is any material engineered to have a property that is not found in naturally occurring materials. They are made from assemblies of multiple elements fashioned from composite materials such as metals and plastics."

Top Bottom