• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great review sir!
Probably the first time I've seen you praise a headphones like this. Make me curious and wanna try it somewhere in the future.

nyxnyxnyx

Lifetime warranty is meant to ensure just that. Headphones can last decades.

I have the Koss ESP95X. First pair came with all sorts of noise issues. Second pair developed same issue in very short order. Had to send them to Koss three times under their lifetime warranty, but they finally fixed them. Have had no problems since. I only paid shipping once. Their warranty is the real deal.
It is such a bargain if one can buy Koss products and happen to live in the country they manufacture/create their products. We have a lifetime warranty and the shipping cost within the country should be cheap as well (I know some people that like the idea of a warranty but they hesitated because of high shipping fees). Subjectively I think ESP95X is great, wish I bought one myself when it was on sale last year.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
The temptation of building a D90SE + A90 + DCA Stealth stack is itching

I was thinking just the same. I just don’t pick up headphones that often anymore, since I got Genelec 8331 on my desktop. But still… :)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
At those prices we're in the realms of other finer things: art, food, wine, scotch. Is a glass of Balvenie 21 yr Port Cask worth 10x a glass of Glen Scotia Double Cask vs 10x a glass of Thunderbird?

Pretty much depends on how much a $ is worth to you. If you've got $$ to buy and enjoy some of the nicer things in life and absolute quality is important to you, then maybe these headphones are worth it.

For me, probably not. I just don't wear headphones that much anymore. For somebody else, maybe they are worth it and I won't say they are wrong.

Also, regarding marketing these could be considered a "halo" product -- this gets DCA name out there in the same ways a top tier car gets the manufacturer's name out there.
Thunderbird did taste good, gotcha drunk too.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
The temptation of building a D90SE + A90 + DCA Stealth stack is itching

Why not just drive with an all in one, like RME ADI-2 FS DAC?

Or get the ADI-2 PRO FS if you want to double the power with balanced output.

Perfect channel balance. Less components on desk.

firedog

Not sure I get all the comments about the price.
If it's the best on the market then it's okay- and there are more expensive headphones.

Beyond that, there are lots of users today who are primarily or exclusively headphone listeners.

$4000 for state of the art "speakers" isn't outrageous. If that's your main listening mode it makes sense for lots of people.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Not sure I get all the comments about the price.
If it's the best on the market then it's okay- and there are more expensive headphones.

Beyond that, there are lots of users today who are primarily or exclusively headphone listeners.

$4000 for state of the art "speakers" isn't outrageous. If that's your main listening mode it makes sense for lots of people.
Just a little addition: there are more expensive headphones that measure horribly...

Jave

I have no issues with the seal. I wear glasses when listening and get very good bass extension with the RT.
Do you glasses' hands touch the skin or is there a distance? Are they thick or thin?

RHO

Major Contributor
Do you glasses' hands touch the skin or is there a distance? Are they thick or thin?
I have different 3 ones that I wear regularly. The ones with the thickest hands do touch my skin. The ones with the thinner hands less so.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if this has been said already but I have a feeling that it would be good for the reviews if Amir took a little break from reviewing headphones after this one, this one may have messed up the scheme a little bit, not that I don't trust Amir's professionalism but something to cleanse the palate after a homerun like this can't be a bad thing, or the next headphones could seem quite underwhelming?

I don’t think a break is needed. Headphones differ so much out of the box. A question to @amirm: do you think its qualities are dominated by its close to target response or something else? Another headphone that is EQed to target, how does that headphone compare to this one?

SoundfanSwe

Great work!!

Looking forward to more reviews and opinions.
4k is a high price but ”new standard” for TOTL-headphones if we see other manufacturers.

For me I must wait for a classier look, not putting a red gaming headphone on my head due to the (for me) important feeling of looks matching sound.
Guess I am starting to get old, as most of potential buyers? My 10-year old would love this look but not me..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don’t think a break is needed. Headphones differ so much out of the box. A question to @amirm: do you think its qualities are dominated by its close to target response or something else?
That's definitely the high order bit and that is what I can defend. But there is more subjectively. High frequencies for example float so nicely in between other notes. This could be spatial effect, lack of distortion, or combination of everything. They are so nice that they take me out of the music to just say, "wow, that was so nice!"

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For me I must wait for a classier look, not putting a red gaming headphone on my head due to the (for me) important feeling of looks matching sound.
This is a very seriously looking headphone folks. It is not at all a gaming look.

Chester

This is a very seriously looking headphone folks. It is not at all a gaming look.

I saw Dan mention elsewhere that the red on the stealth is not as intense as it appears in photos, would you agree with that, having seen them?

Top Bottom