• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Phoney

Does it really matter? I suspect the "state of the art" headline in this review is due to the use of materials in the construction more than the FR achieved. And "best in the world" really is entirely subjective. I suspect @amirm would happily state they are the best headphone he has measured and heard, with or without EQ due to adherence to his preferred target, v low distortion and comfort/ fit/ build. They might not be mine, yours or anyone elses as I for one find the Harman target too bass heavy, but the other factors would still make this one to consider for anyone desperate to spend this sort of money on head -fi. I couldnt possibly say whether I would prefer this to the Utopia, Empyrian or other open back offers but I would give them all a go if I could.
Yes, I see what you mean. But I still think tonality plays a big part aswell in saying "best in the world?". There are some other headphones that can compete with this one in other aspects than tonality, or am I wrong? I'm just saying, if total compliance to our harman target is an important factor in rating headphones, then closed backs would in general have an advantage because of bass. Yet, most prefer open backs.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If following the Harman curve closely is a requirement to be called state of the art or best in the world.. An open back will never be the best in the world? No open backs I have seen so far has anywhere close to the harman bass levels. My assumption is that this is almost impossible to achieve then? So open backs, which are the most popular ones in the audiophile communities, are automatically disqualified from being able to compete for the "best in the world" spot because they can't produce enough bass out of the box?
Hifiman he1000v2 (V2 not Se)
Is tuned very closely to Harman.
With bass and it's open, very very good headphones.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I see what you mean. But I still think tonality plays a big part aswell in saying "best in the world?". There are some other headphones that can compete with this one in other aspects than tonality, or am I wrong? I'm just saying, if total compliance to our harman target is an important factor in rating headphones, then closed backs would in general have an advantage because of bass. Yet, most prefer open backs.
Closed backs often don't get the mids and treble right though, and sometimes bass can be bloated in closed backs.....so it's not like you can say closed backs or open backs follow the Harman Curve better than the other - it's best just to view headphones on a case by case basis, just looking at the measurements of a specific model to see if it's right for you.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I think ‘state of the art’ just means the latest, best, cutting edge technology/features/materials/design.

We’ll all have our own frequency preferences. But perhaps the key thing here is that we have a headphone which clearly aims for Harman, and hits a bullseye. It has very low distortion. As a result, if your preference is Harman, it’s difficult to see how you can criticise this model.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I bought the DCA Stealth sight unseen after reading this review. I had an agreement with the dealer that I could return it if I didn't like it. I compared it to the Focal Stellia, which is AUD$1700 cheaper. I also listened to the Sennheiser HD820 which ran itself out of contention within less than a minute of listening because I did not like the tuning. These are my subjective impressions.

Advantages of the Stellia: much more sensitive, much easier to drive, and much more dynamic and exciting than the DCA Stealth. It can be driven comfortably by my DAP without any additional amplification required, which is a huge plus. Spatial qualities was much of a muchness (meaning excellent for a closed back) but I would give a slight advantage to the Stealth. Despite the extra weight of the Stellia, it was a comfortable headphone except that it had a tendency to tip and try to fall off if I turned my head at certain angles.

Disadvantages of the Stellia: that shouty top end was a deal breaker for me. That definitely needs to be dialled back in EQ. I am aware of Amir's testing with the Stellia showing high distortion - I was not sure if it was distortion that was causing the shouty top end or the natural response of the headphone (anyone?). The other deal breaker was the styling, I am not a fan of that shade of brown they chose. Also, the Stellia does not fold as compact as the DCA Stealth which is important for me because I travel frequently. Then again, there is no need to carry a portable amplifier with the Stellia so it makes up for the extra size.

Advantages of the Stealth: as Amir said, tonality was absolutely correct and it is all there. There really is no contest if you compare the sound out of the box with no EQ. The first 20 pages of this thread complained about the price. Having listened to other headphones at this price point, I do not think people should be complaining. You can certainly spend more and get less, so I count that as a win for the DCA Stealth. Whilst the Stealth is by no means uncomfortable, for my head the Focals felt better. At least the Stealth does not try to fall off when I turn my head, so that's a plus. I love how it folds up to such a compact size. The cable supplied with the Stealth is excellent - no microphonics, and it is nice and soft. The same can't said for the connectors (more on that later).

Disadvantages of the Stealth: mostly to do with the low sensitivity, which means you have to shop for matching equipment (and for me, something else to pack in my luggage). This headphone requires amplification, which my RME ADI-2 FS fortunately adequately provides. The Violectric V226 sounds even better (probably because it has more juice) so a purchase might be on the horizon, although I can't see myself packing that in my luggage. With my DAP (A&K SP2000T) maxed out, I get "adequate" listening volume which easily becomes inadequate depending on the track. I tried a few portable amps which were all rejected because they sounded congested, or did not have enough power, etc. Having said that, low sensitivity is the nature of planar magnetic headphones and I don't know if Dan can do anything about that without using a different driver technology.

In the end, the Focal Stellia would probably have won if I could have tuned back the top end with EQ. It is cheaper, sounds more exciting, more sensitive, and its sonic drawbacks can be dealt with. Ultimately I could not find an EQ setting I was satisfied with but YMMV. So the DCA Stealth won this particular shoot-out. I will be keeping them.

Suggestions for @Dan Clark:

1. The design of the headphone case does not accommodate the cable, which has to be carried separately.
2. The Hirose connector on the headphone is an annoyance, it needs to be oriented a certain way before it clicks. Why not use a standard 3.5mm TRS plug, especially when you have to disconnect the cable every time you stow it away in the case.
3. I am not a fan of the red stitching which others have mentioned in this thread, looks a bit too gamer-y. Would you consider offering replacement straps with more subtle styling?
4. My headphone was supplied with a Vivo 1/4" unbalanced TRS plug. I am waiting for my dealer to get stock of the 4.4mm plug, and I am hoping it will be balanced. Your website doesn't say, and my dealer doesn't know. I want balanced because my DAP will output higher voltage. I hope that this will go some way towards addressing the inadequate volume issues I am having with my DAP. It is that annoying connector again, it means that I can not purchase an off-the-shelf cable.

Lastly I would like to thank Ethan and Dan at Addicted to Audio (Perth) for being so patient with me and letting me use their shop and equipment while I did back to back testing with the Stellia. I would also like to thank Geoff at Hey Now Hifi (Melbourne) for a smooth transaction with the Stealths. And of course, the ASR community without which I would not have learnt about this headphone in the first place.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you need a portable amp with more juice, perhaps can check the specs of the Topping NX7 versus your DAP. Its comparable in output to many desktop AIO sets.

Tatr76

He’s another person that says all the typical “audiophile” stuff.
I don't mind him not personally liking something that's where subjectivity is fine, but his take on xlr/rca cables would confim audiofool status

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I think I know the answer to this question, but after reading Amir's comments, specifically "It changed my outlook on how much better your experience can be listening to these headphones" I have to ask. I've tried a number of quality headphones/amps, all open back, and just never found them that enjoyable, esp compared to listening to speakers. Is this headphone sufficiently better/different that someone like me would get hooked on headphones?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4. My headphone was supplied with a Vivo 1/4" unbalanced TRS plug. I am waiting for my dealer to get stock of the 4.4mm plug, and I am hoping it will be balanced. Your website doesn't say, and my dealer doesn't know. I want balanced because my DAP will output higher voltage. I hope that this will go some way towards addressing the inadequate volume issues I am having with my DAP. It is that annoying connector again, it means that I can not purchase an off-the-shelf cable.

Is there any other kind of 4.4mm plug? I would expect your dealer to know this. You can buy off-the-shelf cables, you're just looking on the wrong shelf. AliExpress has some at a good price, for example

I think I know the answer to this question, but after reading Amir's comments, specifically "It changed my outlook on how much better your experience can be listening to these headphones" I have to ask. I've tried a number of quality headphones/amps, all open back, and just never found them that enjoyable, esp compared to listening to speakers. Is this headphone sufficiently better/different that someone like me would get hooked on headphones?

You haven't given nearly enough info to answer this Q, if it's even possible to do so in the first place. What you did/didn't like about all the other "quality headphones/amps" would be a decent start

Dan Clark

Audio Company
I bought the DCA Stealth sight unseen after reading this review. I had an agreement with the dealer that I could return it if I didn't like it. I compared it to the Focal Stellia, which is AUD$1700 cheaper. I also listened to the Sennheiser HD820 which ran itself out of contention within less than a minute of listening because I did not like the tuning. These are my subjective impressions.

Advantages of the Stellia: much more sensitive, much easier to drive, and much more dynamic and exciting than the DCA Stealth. It can be driven comfortably by my DAP without any additional amplification required, which is a huge plus. Spatial qualities was much of a muchness (meaning excellent for a closed back) but I would give a slight advantage to the Stealth. Despite the extra weight of the Stellia, it was a comfortable headphone except that it had a tendency to tip and try to fall off if I turned my head at certain angles.

Disadvantages of the Stellia: that shouty top end was a deal breaker for me. That definitely needs to be dialled back in EQ. I am aware of Amir's testing with the Stellia showing high distortion - I was not sure if it was distortion that was causing the shouty top end or the natural response of the headphone (anyone?). The other deal breaker was the styling, I am not a fan of that shade of brown they chose. Also, the Stellia does not fold as compact as the DCA Stealth which is important for me because I travel frequently. Then again, there is no need to carry a portable amplifier with the Stellia so it makes up for the extra size.

Advantages of the Stealth: as Amir said, tonality was absolutely correct and it is all there. There really is no contest if you compare the sound out of the box with no EQ. The first 20 pages of this thread complained about the price. Having listened to other headphones at this price point, I do not think people should be complaining. You can certainly spend more and get less, so I count that as a win for the DCA Stealth. Whilst the Stealth is by no means uncomfortable, for my head the Focals felt better. At least the Stealth does not try to fall off when I turn my head, so that's a plus. I love how it folds up to such a compact size. The cable supplied with the Stealth is excellent - no microphonics, and it is nice and soft. The same can't said for the connectors (more on that later).

Disadvantages of the Stealth: mostly to do with the low sensitivity, which means you have to shop for matching equipment (and for me, something else to pack in my luggage). This headphone requires amplification, which my RME ADI-2 FS fortunately adequately provides. The Violectric V226 sounds even better (probably because it has more juice) so a purchase might be on the horizon, although I can't see myself packing that in my luggage. With my DAP (A&K SP2000T) maxed out, I get "adequate" listening volume which easily becomes inadequate depending on the track. I tried a few portable amps which were all rejected because they sounded congested, or did not have enough power, etc. Having said that, low sensitivity is the nature of planar magnetic headphones and I don't know if Dan can do anything about that without using a different driver technology.

In the end, the Focal Stellia would probably have won if I could have tuned back the top end with EQ. It is cheaper, sounds more exciting, more sensitive, and its sonic drawbacks can be dealt with. Ultimately I could not find an EQ setting I was satisfied with but YMMV. So the DCA Stealth won this particular shoot-out. I will be keeping them.

1. The design of the headphone case does not accommodate the cable, which has to be carried separately.
2. The Hirose connector on the headphone is an annoyance, it needs to be oriented a certain way before it clicks. Why not use a standard 3.5mm TRS plug, especially when you have to disconnect the cable every time you stow it away in the case.
3. I am not a fan of the red stitching which others have mentioned in this thread, looks a bit too gamer-y. Would you consider offering replacement straps with more subtle styling?

Lastly I would like to thank Ethan and Dan at Addicted to Audio (Perth) for being so patient with me and letting me use their shop and equipment while I did back to back testing with the Stellia. I would also like to thank Geoff at Hey Now Hifi (Melbourne) for a smooth transaction with the Stealths. And of course, the ASR community without which I would not have learnt about this headphone in the first place.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions. The 4.4 is balanced And the 2000 doubles output voltage in balanced. AK doesn’t publish power specs and very few of their players support high current at low z so depending on your volume it may limit or clip early And balanced may not help much if the unit is current limiting, depends on the circuit. In theory it puts out 6v in balanced but AK a seems to optimize for 150-300 ohm loads.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

Hi Bombadil. Headphones are different to speakers and occupy a different audio niche for me. This is all subjective (which I know can get you shot around here) but: speakers are more relaxing and the sound is tactile. For me it is more emotional. Headphones are better for analysing music. I have never heard a speaker that can beat a headphone when it comes to separating instrumental layers in orchestral music. So if I hear something on my speakers which I am not sure is really there or not, I ask my headphones for a second opinion.

Is there any other kind of 4.4mm plug? I would expect your dealer to know this. You can buy off-the-shelf cables, you're just looking on the wrong shelf. AliExpress has some at a good price, for example

I don't know if there are any other kinds of 4.4mm plugs or not, I am quite new to this headphone thing! I have owned headphones for a long time, but I have never taken it seriously. Up to now it was a Beyerdynamic T5p paired with a Focusrite 2i2 when I am not using it to run and measure sweeps. But thank you for letting me know.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions. The 4.4 is balanced And the 2000 doubles output voltage in balanced. AK doesn’t publish power specs and very few of their players support high current at low z so depending on your volume it may limit or clip early And balanced may not help much if the unit is current limiting, depends on the circuit. In theory it puts out 6v in balanced but AK a seems to optimize for 150-300 ohm loads.

Thank you, Dan. I hope you continue to work on and improve your product, perhaps come out with a headphone which is easier to drive. That will open more doors for you.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for continuing to pop in here; just curious what is the offciial power recommendation for Stealth? I swear somewhere I saw 250mW minimum, 500mW recommended, but now I can't find it. I do remember, though, the comment didn't specify impedance. I presume it's 250/500mW @ 22 ohm?

Also, I saw you're hiring. IIRC you used to be InfoSec - how do I make the jump from infrastructure to headphones? :)

Dan Clark

Audio Company
Thanks for continuing to pop in here; just curious what is the offciial power recommendation for Stealth? I swear somewhere I saw 250mW minimum, 500mW recommended, but now I can't find it. I do remember, though, the comment didn't specify impedance. I presume it's 250/500mW @ 22 ohm?

Also, I saw you're hiring. IIRC you used to be InfoSec - how do I make the jump from infrastructure to headphones? :)
For Stealth I do suggest 500mW at 22 ohms For desktop. If you don’t listen loudly, e.g. listen under 90db, to save your ears, less power will do.

I was working as a consultant to some loudspeaker companies as a moonlight gig before I soured on internet security…

someguyontheinternet

Managed to buy Stealth for a good price. It's excellent.
I added +3db bass and -1db treble on the ADI-2, because that's what I prefer. It's already superb without those adjustments, but it tickles out that last % for me.

JanesJr1

Just two minor comments: 1. Hart Audio makes nice balanced headphone cables with the Hirose/4.4mm or XLR combination for a pretty reasonable cost. 2. Those Hirose connectors do have owners who love them. I drag my Noire phones around constantly and much appreciate the audible/physical click of a firm connection. Perceptually, it seems like a connection that will be durable and not strain the wiring or the stems of the connector pins. I understand if others don't agree (particularly if non-standard connectors force you to buy an additional set of cables), but I think they're dandy. I also have no problem at all connecting them; you can learn the right "touch" in about 30 seconds..

Last edited:

OakParkMusicGuy

I bought my first pair of Aeons last summer and liked them so much I bought two more variations. At first I wasn’t sure how I felt about the hirose connectors. But after a year with them I’ll echo everything he says about them. I really like them and agree that it’s hard to believe other companies don’t adopt it.

And with the form of the Aeon they are completely unobtrusive.

192kbps

FXK4-tzUUAA05Lp

Top Bottom