• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta love the price war. I remember just six months ago the first used listing of the DCA Stealth I saw was $3599, and they have been popping up more frequently than any other TOTL headphones with each listing lower than before. It's like they were playing hot potato. The buyer's remorse is strong with this one.

View attachment 191844
My feeling is that if you like the Harman Curve then you'd like these headphones, well that's not a massive leap considering they track the Harman Curve almost perfectly......more so my point is that perhaps these folks whacking these on ebay at substantial reductions is that praps they didn't know whether they liked the Harman Curve or not before they bought them....if they're used to headphones with a very different tonality then these could be a shock for them. Conversely, they could be people that have had extensive headphone Harman Curve experience and these headphones just weren't anything special, but I suspect most of these people posting these Stealth's for sale were disenamoured with them after not having much Harman Curve experience at which point they probably thought they better put a low price on them ebay, but for sure they have to be lower than a new pair, I suppose $3000 is not unreasonable considering it's used, $2700 seems like a large reduction though. Or praps the driving force is that people who are in the market for headphones stretching in excess of $2000 have the mindset that a new pair is more valuable to them than saving $1000 and "risking" a used pair.

psiyari

!!! I hope people have time to read this long post !!!

After a long time of trying out different headphones, I finally settled with Dan Clark Stealth, and they are amazing; this where I try to stop giving this headphone too much compliment, as well as ranting about its price! There is already 70 pages of discussion about either of these two topics!

a. Other than Stealth, I tried about 20 other headphones ranging from $100 to $2000. The most notable ones were AKG K371, Bose QC35ii (wired), ATHM50X (with Dekoni's Sheepskin leather pads), Airpods Max (wired), HD800S, HD650, Aeon 2 Noire, Aeon Closed/Open X, and HE-6SE.

b. For all of the headphones, I used @amirm's EQ settings. Regarding Aeon 2 Noire and Open X, I used Amir's EQ for Aeon Closed RT and innovated on that, utlizing the frequency response plots from Oratory1990. The final EQ settings for these two headphones are something between Amir's EQ and Oratory1990's PEQ settings. I just tried to replicate the same sound signature of Aeon Closed for these two headphones, and once I was there, I tried to see if I could do better.

c. I did go liberal on preamp gain and headroom adjustments for all headphones. Subjectively, I felt that some suggested preamp and headroom gains take too much away from headphones' capabilities. I was, however, careful to notice (and eliminate) any clipping and distortion due to lack of enough headroom.

d. I used Qobuz and Roon to play the test tracks. I also have Apple music subscription, and consistently compared the headphones performace between Roon and Apple Music.

e. I collected @amirm 's leaked test tracks from his different reviews. I also had some tracks myself, in addition to Amir's.

f. I am using Topping E50/L50 duo with balanced input/output. I used 3.5mm/6.35mm adapters to XLR when needed.

g(!). All devices operate in room temperature with proper grounding and some "fancy" cables!!! :p.

Here is a summary of my "subjective" experience:

1. The bass in Stealth could enjoy a little bit more gain, so I EQ'ed the sub-80Hz a tad bit. I will share the EQ settings if there is any interest. I noticed this only in very few tracks though. For example, in "Billie Jean by Michael Jackson", the first few beats of the bass drums are somewhat dead in Stealth with no EQ. With a little bit of EQ, the beats come to life and you appreciate the severity of hitting the drums, or as some people put it, "the bass becomes physical after EQ"!. All of this can be done without the headphones becoming too boomy. In fact, right after the few beats of drums in Billie Jean, a trumpet-like instrument with a mouthful sound(!) plays which can give you a good indication on how boomy your headphones are.
Another track where the beats can be felt is "Riders on the Storm by The Doors". If you are using, Qobuz, right around mark 5:10, the drums are hit three times with increasing intensities. The headphones with good bass/mid response deliver this part very well. Stealth with EQ did the same, although it is a little bit harder to notice the difference in this example without EQ. Billie Jean is a much simpler example.

2. I felt a noticeable difference when switching from Aeon 2 Noire to Stealth. Stealth is much more balanced (Yes, that is as vague as I can describe it :D). Generally, up until Stealth, my experience with Dan Clark was not top notch to justify their price. The closed-back design of DC audio headphones always made me tired after listening with a fairly loud volume. I believe that too many reflections inside the earcups just make my brain confused. And no, even the open-back designs of DC audio could not eliminate this problem for me. I will wait for Amir's review of Aeon 2 Noire, but to give you a glimpse of what I mean about previous Aeons, you can listen to the first minute of "The demon dance" by Cliff Martinez. If you manage to keep the volume right below where the driver starts ticking, all Aeon headphones produce a somewhat immature bass response, so much so that the beats become a little thin. That is of course the case, if your ears can handle a little bit of very loud sound. However, Stealth is a different animal! I did manage to get the ticking sound from Stealth's driver, but below that, there is no change in tonality.

3. As a curious individual, I do sometimes play with EQ and mindlessly increase the EQ gain in parts of the spectrum. I have to say that with Stealth, it almost feels like the different parts of EQ are completely independent from each other. I never had such an experience with any other headphone. In other headphones, increasing the EQ gain in one part does nasty things on overall tonality, so much so that EQ'ing becomes very annoying; there are just way too many moving parts. You might have already guessed that I have a thing in my heart for bass(!), so yeah, I do EQ bass all the time including when I am using Stealth; the problem that I mentioned casts itself much more in the bass domain. I will let you figure out which measurements done by Amir prove this claim and the previous claim!
With Stealth the EQ job becomes very easy though, so you can change the headphones characterstics to your liking even if you are a beginner.

4. When it comes to midrange and treble, I did not notice any issue, meaning that it is great. Much better than all of the headphones I tried, so I did not even try to nit pick and find faults in this domain. However, there is something that attracted my attention while testing. The track "Litany of the first encounter" can reveal a lot about a headphone IMO. One thing that became noticeable was a thing that I call "the tail of sound". That basically means the following: The way different instruments echo and then fade in the music. I tried to see which headphones act as naturally as possible in this scenario. As Amir mentioned in his review, Hifiman HE-6SE was the best in delivering in this test. Maybe Amir wanted to point to different things about HE-6SE (i.e., tonality, etc.), but this was my biggest takeaway from this track. Stealth was right up there next to HE-6SE. A headphone that does not do so well in this test is HD650.

5. Stealth was also great in terms of spatial qualities. In addition to Amir's suggestions (read his HD800S review), I think the track "Chocolate Chip Trip by TOOL" is a nice choice to showcase this ability in Stealth.

6. With a reasonable and completely listenable volume level, the dongle dac/amp THx Onyx delivers a very nice experience even with the Stealth. And sadly, Hidizs S9 pro did miserably when connected to Stealth. Up until now, I had not connected the iPhone to a low-impedance headphone but I did so with Stealth. Interestingly, the iPhone cuts the music and pauses after 2 seconds as if there is no headphone connected, signifying that it cannot deliver a lot of current with its battery. The situation is quickly resolved if you plug in the iPhone though. The camera dongle for iPhone allows you to connect dongle dac/amp and charger at the same time.

7. The next best headphone after Stealth was HE-6SE IMO. However, you need a very capable amp to appreciate this headphone. Even with L50, I felt like I could crank the volume a bit higher with HE-6SE. If you never experience Stealth, I believe HE-6SE is a very very competent alternative (with Amir's EQ).

There may be other things that I forgot to write here, but the above contains most important and most noticeable observations. Overall, you need to look at Stealth as a true all-rounder that does not compromise on any aspect. An open back headphone that manages to stay neck-and-neck amongst a myriad of high-end open back headophones; Sometimes, this very goal pushes a company to experiment with meta materials and come up with something that is worth the time and energy of filing a global patent for!

I just wish that Dan Clark does not come up with a better idea for a while until I can afford another high-end headphone :D.
In conclusion, I have one more praise for this headphone which is somewhat a cautionary advice! Please make up your mind before trying the Stealth, as the world of headphones will become pretty boring after listening to Stealth! My engagement in audiosciencereview has been pretty low ever since Stealth happened!
I need to clarify that the iPhone models that I tried were iPhone 11 and iPhone13 mini. Both of them cut out the audio after 2 seconds of playing, if no battery bank is plugged into the camera dongle.
However, I recently tried the iPhone 13 pro, and it could play without a charger connected! Just the Usb port of camera gear to THx Onyx and then a 3.5mm to female XLR to the XLR cable of Stealth! Not a pretty setup but that’s one way to have Stealth with you on a trip!
I also need to mention that I continued the experiment for one 5min song only. Who knows, maybe the iPhone 13 pro will reach a limit or sth but I did not continue to see that! Maybe that’s a hidden feature of a “pro” model ‍

Dogcoop

Hi @amirm,
if you have the time to answer this question it would be greatly appreciated.
Would using the output from the topping a90 to drive a subwoofer add the tactile experience that is missing with my dca stealth headphones?
If this is a ridiculous question, I apologize.

tusing

Hi @amirm,
if you have the time to answer this question it would be greatly appreciated.
Would using the output from the topping a90 to drive a subwoofer add the tactile experience that is missing with my dca stealth headphones?
A subwoofer will always add to the tactile experience of listening to any music.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all ridiculous.
Many people use headphones as to not disturb familiy or neighbors.
If that isn't your problem, let it rip. :cool:

Malaj

Not at all ridiculous.
Many people use headphones as to not disturb familiy or neighbors.
If that isn't your problem, let it rip. :cool:
I would use it with a better sounding open headphone if isolation is not important

bearcatsandor

What about something like this haptic vest instead of a subwoofer? That way your bass would not be muddied. That's not as much of an issue with a closed headphone, but still an issue a bit.

ra990

I use the Woojer Edge vest when listening to EDM sometimes. It's a lot of fun actually.

ra990

Does it activate at realistic levels or is it just fun?
Oh yea, it can shake me to my core. I suspect the experience you have really depends on your body type. Levels are good, but it's nowhere near accurate. It's not quite one-note bass because it can be surprisingly expressive with analog synth bass sweeps, for example. More like 4 note but good levels of rumble that you can balance with the bass of your headphones and it does extend the low end more into your body.

Impossible

So i spent a lot of time today demoing this and going between the DC Stealth, aeon 2, susvara and even a little with the Sony mdr Z1R.

Let's ignor the mdr Z1R as it was very different and didn't have the depth of the others.

The Stealth sounded clearer and very controlled and was obviously more balanced then the aeon 2. Aeons were harder to drive. The two were not miles apart though, the sound signature being very similar. From the two I'd be more then happy with aeon 2 and some eq.

The Susvara compaired to the DC Stealth was a different story, they did sound different. The susvara sounded open back and the DC Stealth didn't, obviously because that's what they were. I was able to hear more subtle notes with the susvara, the kind of notes you would hear from stax 009. The DC Stealth had more fuller heavier notes.

There was no magic moment, I wasn't blown away.

I never buy after the first demo. I always go back reflect remeber how I felt and see on my 2nd demo if I felt the same way.

So ill be going back.
I did try these with a mojo 2 and played about with the EQ as well to see if I could get that magic moment.

I'll be using a more powerful dac amp next time.

For this price we definitely need a good room correction eq equivalent for headphones. Please lyngdorf, Dirac, trinnov, do this. You could even sell the mic inside a dummy head, we pop the headphones on and it does its thing.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Stealth [...] was obviously more balanced then the aeon 2
Did you use the perforated earpads with the Aeon 2 (left)?
202004_danclark_cups.jpeg

Those bring the FR much more in line with Harman:
Screenshot_20220407-113447_Chrome.jpg

Dentin

My feeling is that if you like the Harman Curve then you'd like these headphones, well that's not a massive leap considering they track the Harman Curve almost perfectly......more so my point is that perhaps these folks whacking these on ebay at substantial reductions is that praps they didn't know whether they liked the Harman Curve or not before they bought them....if they're used to headphones with a very different tonality then these could be a shock for them. Conversely, they could be people that have had extensive headphone Harman Curve experience and these headphones just weren't anything special, but I suspect most of these people posting these Stealth's for sale were disenamoured with them after not having much Harman Curve experience at which point they probably thought they better put a low price on them ebay, but for sure they have to be lower than a new pair, I suppose $3000 is not unreasonable considering it's used, $2700 seems like a large reduction though. Or praps the driving force is that people who are in the market for headphones stretching in excess of $2000 have the mindset that a new pair is more valuable to them than saving $1000 and "risking" a used pair.
3F9E6FE9-70DE-48D8-8A96-81EF4822251D.jpeg

The issue is more that the DCA Stealth is missing its top octave. Reminder that the Harman target is only explicitly specified up to 10 kHz and that religiously following the curve past that is a terrible idea

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 201158

The issue is more that the DCA Stealth is missing its top octave. Reminder that the Harman target is only explicitly specified up to 10 kHz and that religiously following the curve past that is a terrible idea
I don't think there's that much to prove what you say there, and people's preference above 10kHz is known to be quite individualised. However, after looking back at some of my headphone EQ's it seems I try to keep the treble peaks above 10kHz to be on the same level as the 200Hz point on the Harman Curve or a couple of dB under it.......so the Stealth measurement from Amir does show the treble peaks above 10kHz to be lower than most of my EQ's of other headphones.......so there might be something in what you say, but it is gonna be quite individualised in that region in terms of what people prefer.
index.php

Stealth users could always try adding a High Shelf Filter of Q0.71 at 10000Hz or 11000Hz and then adding a dB at a time to see if they can tune their liking of +10kHz to their best sound if they think there's not enough treble above 10000Hz.

asrUser

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sell your car or kidney for these. :p
It for sure would be an interesting experiment to have these Stealth headphones for a week to compare against my other EQ'd headphones. You can't take away what Dan Clark have done with these headphones.....in my experience a truly accurate experience of the Harman Curve is a rare experience due to unit to unit variation of headphones getting in the way of successful EQ's, and I'd find it surprising if Dan Clarke weren't nailing the unit to unit variation on their flagship headphone......so it should be reliable, although I have no way of validating this, but I'd be super surprised if it wasn't the case based on what I know of the company & what I've seen of the guy that's heading it up. I'd be surprised if it would totally surpass a unit or two of my existing headphones that I have given special attention in terms of measuring those units & EQ'ing them, but it would be an interesting comparison. In my experience, there is a lot to be said for truly following the Harman Curve accurately, which is normally not easy to guarantee.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It for sure would be an interesting experiment to have these Stealth headphones for a week to compare against my other EQ'd headphones. You can't take away what Dan Clark have done with these headphones.....in my experience a truly accurate experience of the Harman Curve is a rare experience due to unit to unit variation of headphones getting in the way of successful EQ's, and I'd find it surprising if Dan Clarke weren't nailing the unit to unit variation on their flagship headphone......so it should be reliable, although I have no way of validating this, but I'd be super surprised if it wasn't the case based on what I know of the company & what I've seen of the guy that's heading it up. I'd be surprised if it would totally surpass a unit or two of my existing headphones that I have given special attention in terms of measuring those units & EQ'ing them, but it would be an interesting comparison. In my experience, there is a lot to be said for truly following the Harman Curve accurately, which is normally not easy to guarantee.
But, what if you got them on loan for a week and they blew the socks off anything you've got/ heard?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But, what if you got them on loan for a week and they blew the socks off anything you've got/ heard?
Then that would be fine, and I'd try to find out why - through measuring & comparing. I would like to try them, and if I thought they were better than everything I'd ever listened to then I would for sure say so. I don't think I could justify buying them though, even if they blew the socks off....I don't think they would, but they probably would for pretty much any stock headphone without EQ as long as they could get past some of the closed back headphone negatives. Ha, if I ended up really liking them I might try speaking to the company directly to see if I could somehow wangle somekind of deal, whatever form that would be!

Top Bottom