• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm did you have a go at removing the small hump at 100-160hz, and if you did, how did it sound?
The first sample I received had a more pronounced hump and I did filter that out and liked it. I don't recall if I bothered with the second version which shrunk that. I am listening to it without EQ right now.

dehati_paul

The Kann Cube is a very powerful and somewhat reasonably priced option. Haven't had my head in this space in awhile so there may other newer options, but having massive power was the point of that unit.

As someone who also owns an IER-Z1R... does it really play in the same zip code as the Stealth and Stax? I heard the 009S years ago at a CanJam but it was too noisy to get a good read and like most estats the tuning's a bit wonky on paper.

I have a KSE1200 that to my ears is very much a level above the IER-Z1R w/ PEQ applied (knock on the KSE is the poor tuning, but they take EQ like a champ) - now *that* I could imagine might be comparable, but I'd still hope for $4k and overall lack of portability it's a fair bit more satisfying than any IEM.

I've nearly pulled the trigger on the Stealth like 3x now but there's been some sideways comments on head-fi and the release of the LCD-5 I've been watching.
Ideally, I'd like to avoid DAPs, as @amirm once mentioned that DAPs are good on paper/specs but none of them perform well. A prime example is Fiio M15, which I have, that has all the possible features you can think of, but measures average.

IER-Z1R is something I really like (once getting used to its weird size/weight) because it sounds very good even without EQ, is portable, and can be driven without much power. SR-009S needs EQ (and special amp) but its detail and responsiveness are hard to match even with planars (Stealth included), IMHO. I wish there is an objective way to measure those qualities...

Back to my dilemma, I want to take the Stealth around and source music from not only stored locally on device, but also from streaming music sources, such as Amazon Music and Saavn (for Indian music). I tried the Phone (Samsung note 9) with USB Audio Player Pro -> Fiio BTR 5 (for testing) -> Headphone, but USB Audio Player Pro only supports local storage, Tidal and Qobuz :(. Otherwise, Android upsamples (and screws) everything else to 48Khz. So, I have two practical portable options - 1. Use LDAC and get a decent Bluetooth receiver/DAC (e.g. Qudelix-5K, not sure if it will have enough power to drive Stealth), or 2. buy an android based DAP that measures well (which will support all streaming services and have high output power). So far, have not come across any, though the link below gives a good comparison of specs (not real performance)

Suggestions are welcome.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideally, I'd like to avoid DAPs, as @amirm once mentioned that DAPs are good on paper/specs but none of them perform well. A prime example is Fiio M15, which I have, that has all the possible features you can think of, but measures average.

IER-Z1R is something I really like (once getting used to its weird size/weight) because it sounds very good even without EQ, is portable, and can be driven without much power. SR-009S needs EQ (and special amp) but its detail and responsiveness are hard to match even with planars (Stealth included), IMHO. I wish there is an objective way to measure those qualities...

Back to my dilemma, I want to take the Stealth around and source music from not only stored locally on device, but also from streaming music sources, such as Amazon Music and Saavn (for Indian music). I tried the Phone (Samsung note 9) with USB Audio Player Pro -> Fiio BTR 5 (for testing) -> Headphone, but USB Audio Player Pro only supports local storage, Tidal and Qobuz :(. Otherwise, Android upsamples (and screws) everything else to 48Khz. So, I have two practical portable options - 1. Use LDAC and get a decent Bluetooth receiver/DAC (e.g. Qudelix-5K, not sure if it will have enough power to drive Stealth), or 2. buy an android based DAP that measures well (which will support all streaming services and have high output power). So far, have not come across any, though the link below gives a good comparison of specs (not real performance)

Suggestions are welcome.
Most Hiby DAPS stream any service that has an app on the app store and avoid upsampling.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Suggestions are welcome.
Connect your phone to a decent powered DAC such as the NX4 DSD ?

icenine

I bought the Stealth's as soon as I watched Amir's review. They are fabulous. Powering them w/Chord Hugo TT2>M Scaler.

musicarcade

From way back on page 6, for those seeking a dongle...
I have the THX dongle, as well as the Hidizs S9 dongle. I own DCA Aeon RT and Aeon 2 open. Neither power these headphones for maximum enjoyment. I have tried other dongles as well. They all tend to clip on my iphone as well as my Mac mini whern I get to an audio level I enjoy. Members here may cringe, but I bought a Schiit Magni 3 and have interchanged both dongles with it, and now I am a happy camper. If push comes to shove, you CAN listen with just a dongle, but imho, it just doesn't let either of these headphones shine.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you've spent time with a good speaker setup, I'd be surprised if any headphones would blow you away! Maybe it's just me, but I find that merely decent speakers often sound better than TOTL headphones. IMO they are just in completely different realms.

I completely agree in that regard, you can spend thousands of dollars on a speaker and room setup and yet you're far from the accuracy that headphones have. nonetheless the speakers would be more enjoyable.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely agree in that regard, you can spend thousands of dollars on a speaker and room setup and yet you're far from the accuracy that headphones have. nonetheless the speakers would be more enjoyable.
It's the headphones that aren't accurate, due to the approximations associated with Target Curves and individuals different anatomy that makes headphone listening somewhat "unnatural". I'll go along with the idea that headphones can often be more accurate in the bass as this is not really affected by varying individuals anatomy when listening to headphones, yet is largely affected by room modes when listening to speakers. But as a general statement, I think it's more relevant to say that speakers are accurate and headphones aren't. That's not to say you can't get more "resolution" out of headphones due to lower distortion (a common trend) than speakers and lack of room modes muddying some of the rest of the frequency range, but in terms of absolute accuracy good speakers (flat anechoic) are more accurate. I enjoy headphone & speaker listening equally, but they are different.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
i wonder what happen if the real '' open '' headphone start to remove the pad and deal with the real roll-off that produce not having pad in the sub-bass

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the headphones that aren't accurate, due to the approximations associated with Target Curves and individuals different anatomy that makes headphone listening somewhat "unnatural". I'll go along with the idea that headphones can often be more accurate in the bass as this is not really affected by varying individuals anatomy when listening to headphones, yet is largely affected by room modes when listening to speakers. But as a general statement, I think it's more relevant to say that speakers are accurate and headphones aren't. That's not to say you can't get more "resolution" out of headphones due to lower distortion (a common trend) than speakers and lack of room modes muddying some of the rest of the frequency range, but in terms of absolute accuracy good speakers (flat anechoic) are more accurate. I enjoy headphone & speaker listening equally, but they are different.

I think you need to pay attention to the deceit of your brain. Headphones are without a doubt incredibly clinical and accurate because it's basically listening to what the producer produced (If you have already EQed your headphone to what sounds neutral to you), but since you're not getting the audio cues that your brain expect from the room you're sitting in your brain gets uncomfortable or tells you something is wrong thus the feeling of inaccuracy you're describing.

I have never heard a speaker setup where the room disappears the same way it is with headphones (both acoustically and physically), but perhaps i might convince myself to build a corner line-array that is particularly designed to do exactly that.

tusing

I think you need to pay attention to the deceit of your brain. Headphones are without a doubt incredibly clinical and accurate because it's basically listening to what the producer produced (If you have already EQed your headphone to what sounds neutral to you), but since you're not getting the audio cues that your brain expect from the room you're sitting in your brain gets uncomfortable or tells you something is wrong thus the feeling of inaccuracy you're describing.

I have never heard a speaker setup where the room disappears the same way it is with headphones (both acoustically and physically), but perhaps i might convince myself to build a corner line-array that is particularly designed to do exactly that.

Without individualized HRTF compensation and head tracking, it simply isn't possible for headphones to sound as accurate as speakers. Even Sean Olive mentions this in his video. I guess you could try to trick your brain into thinking it's natural, but that's a rabbit hole at which the end of you're tricking your brain into hearing whatever you want - who needs audio gear at that point?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without individualized HRTF compensation and head tracking, it simply isn't possible for headphones to sound as accurate as speakers. Even Sean Olive mentions this in his video. I guess you could try to trick your brain into thinking it's natural, but that's a rabbit hole at which the end of you're tricking your brain into hearing whatever you want - who needs audio gear at that point?

I think the more probable reality is the Sony HT-A9 system becoming the norm with a more linear frequency response.

tusing

I've had these headphones for a few days now and the biggest issue for me by far is the fit. The cups are just so vertically huge that they pass my jawbone and sound leaks out, killing the bass response. I have to constantly adjust them upwards, so my earlobes are against the bottom of the pads, which can be uncomfortable.

I also can't move them backwards like recommended for a more even FR, because as soon as I do that, seal is lost and all bass is gone (even with +10dB EQ.) Because I can't move them backwards, I can't wear them with glasses.

I feel like most of these issues could be solved if @Dan Clark implemented

1. A way to strengthen the clamp force to increase seal
2. A way to lock the headband in place
3. Swivel on the cups so they better conform to head curvatures in different positions

As it stands, for people with narrower or smaller than average heads I think fit will be a real concern.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had these headphones for a few days now and the biggest issue for me by far is the fit. The cups are just so vertically huge that they pass my jawbone and sound leaks out, killing the bass response. I have to constantly adjust them upwards, so my earlobes are against the bottom of the pads, which can be uncomfortable.

I also can't move them backwards like recommended for a more even FR, because as soon as I do that, seal is lost and all bass is gone (even with +10dB EQ.) Because I can't move them backwards, I can't wear them with glasses.

I feel like most of these issues could be solved if @Dan Clark implemented

1. A way to strengthen the clamp force to increase seal
2. A way to lock the headband in place
3. Swivel on the cups so they better conform to head curvatures in different positions

As it stands, for people with narrower or smaller than average heads I think fit will be a real concern.
That sounds like a bit of a problem re how it's fitting on you.....it's possible it might not be your best headphone because of that. Wearing a headphone so that the cups are sitting at the extremes of positioning around your ears is likely to affect the frequency response you perceive (as you mentioned).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why not doing a measurement with glasses on. :)

The difficulty here is there is no standard glasses.
When one wears glasses with (thin) arms rested against the skin where the pads rest on the skin there will be no audible difference.
When one wears glasses with thick arms or thin arms that do not touch the skin at the position the pads touch the skin there will be audible differences. Can be the same glasses that give different results on different heads.

Best would be to standardize small reeds that have a specific diameter/leakage and measure with a few different (standard) ones.

Top Bottom