• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 17.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.4%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I hear a click when I press on the ear cups esp the right side.
Thanks for the insight. I did not test that. Specifically, when I listen to them at the audio show. But if I get a chance to listen to them again, I will definitely test it.
I did like how it sounds and I like the semi-open design rather than being 100% open.
Topping G5 (reliability aint great) or Chord Mojo 2 (Price aint great)
Anyone tried the newer FiiO stuff? I don't see any reviews here but FiiO has a great history and I've personally never had an issue with reliability on their products even at a lower price.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
Has anyone successfully replaced the earpads w/ anything else?
I've developed some sort of allergic reaction to the Expanse earpads and am hoping to find options other than selling them :(

I've replaced the pads on some of my older Sennheisers with some Brainwavz pads that don't seem to cause the same irritation... doctor said it was contact dermatitis. Not certain yet if it's the pad material or something else. I'm that guy that cut a slot into his earpads to allow his glasses to "pass through", so I already have a spare set of replacement OE pads :D Anyway, Brainwavz doesn't list any Dan Clark compatible pads, but I figure I'd measure them to see how similar the shapes are. Dekoni seems to have some that fit other models, but not the Expanse.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone successfully replaced the earpads w/ anything else?
I've developed some sort of allergic reaction to the Expanse earpads and am hoping to find options other than selling them :(

I've replaced the pads on some of my older Sennheisers with some Brainwavz pads that don't seem to cause the same irritation... doctor said it was contact dermatitis. Not certain yet if it's the pad material or something else. I'm that guy that cut a slot into his earpads to allow his glasses to "pass through", so I already have a spare set of replacement OE pads :D Anyway, Brainwavz doesn't list any Dan Clark compatible pads, but I figure I'd measure them to see how similar the shapes are. Dekoni seems to have some that fit other models, but not the Expanse.
As an idea is it possible to spray or stick some kind of coating (that wouldn't cause contact dermatitis to the contact face of the stock earpads)? That way you can hopefully retain the intended tuning that stock earpads provide whilst avoiding contact dermatitis. Perhaps some other members here reading this would have some ideas? What about those sprays that waterproof jackets, perhaps if you're not allergic to the contents of that spray then that would create a barrier against the material in the pads that you are allergic too.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
As an idea is it possible to spray or stick some kind of coating (that wouldn't cause contact dermatitis to the contact face of the stock earpads)? That way you can hopefully retain the intended tuning that stock earpads provide whilst avoiding contact dermatitis. Perhaps some other members here reading this would have some ideas? What about those sprays that waterproof jackets, perhaps if you're not allergic to the contents of that spray then that would create a barrier against the material in the pads that you are allergic too.
Yeah, good call...

I've got some velvet laying around that I got for my media room, but I can probably find some velour similar to what's used on my older headphones.
From what I'm seeing, the synthetic suede used by the DCE's is made of polyester where velour might be cotton or a cotton/poly blend.
And I think the Drop Aeon Closed X I had previously were leather... and those were fine. *shrug*

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, good call...

I've got some velvet laying around that I got for my media room, but I can probably find some velour similar to what's used on my older headphones.
From what I'm seeing, the synthetic suede used by the DCE's is made of polyester where velour might be cotton or a cotton/poly blend.
And I think the Drop Aeon Closed X I had previously were leather... and those were fine. *shrug*
If you do stick something on the contact surface try to limit it just to the contact surface because if you change the material on the inside of the cup then I'm thinking you could change the tuning of the headphone as the reflections/acoustics inside the earcup could be affected. You'd also want whatever you stick on top to be as thin as possible so you don't really want to change the thickness of the pads, which is one reason why I had the idea of the spray rather than any materials or anything. If that waterproofing spray for jackets makes jackets waterproof then maybe that will create enough of a barrier between the pad & your skin for instance.

Top Bottom