• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Fish17

I find this table pretty optimistic. Aeon RT definitively needs a beefy power amp. Messages from different threads suggest that the Fiio BTR5 or the Qudelix 5k may be OK but a bigger (and more expensive...) portable amp like the Ifi Audio micro idsd signature will be much more suitable.
Do you know if those are current limited to 60mA?

markanini

Major Contributor
I personally can't even listen at 85dB for more than 15mins.
You realize it's weird to argue your case based on your personal tolerance that a fraction of the normal safe duration? This biased thinking is the cause of annoying prompts and quallity degrading limiters on audio products mandated by the EU.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You realize it's weird to argue your case based on your personal tolerance that a fraction of the normal safe duration? This biased thinking is the cause of annoying prompts and quallity degrading limiters on audio products mandated by the EU.

You realize this kind of selective quoting and deliberate misunderstanding is purely destructive? Read the post you quoted again and think about your own bias.

Fish17

You realize this kind of selective quoting and deliberate misunderstanding is purely destructive? Read the post you quoted again and think about your own bias.
Simmer down gentlemen, we are all friends here.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Simmer down gentlemen, we are all friends here.

Sorry, i got carried away. All of that, including my last post, doesn`t belong in this review thread anyway.

WLVCA

Did you notice a difference between the RT and the Aeon 2? I love the folding gimble design for added portability but it's really hard to justify a 80% markup or $400 in cost.

Today was the first time I've listened to them back to back and haven't finalized judgement.

The Aeon 2 RT is not being totally outclassed by the Noire but I do prefer the Noire so far.

I wil say that I expected to hear a bigger difference given that the drivers aren't the same.

To my ears the RT is a tad brighter and the Noire has a richer sound - subjectively I must add for this forum. :)

Fish17

Today was the first time I've listened to them back to back and haven't finalized judgement.

The Aeon 2 RT is not being totally outclassed by the Noire but I do prefer the Noire so far.

I wil say that I expected to hear a bigger difference given that the drivers aren't the same.

To my ears the RT is a tad brighter and the Noire has a richer sound - subjectively I must add for this forum. :)
Thank you for this! I love the folding gimble design but $400 is a big jump I expect a bigger improvement in SQ for the cost.

If only @Dan Clark could make a RT or have the option to add the folding gimble design.

I sent an email to the company asking if I could buy a folding gimble RT but unfortunately it’s not an option.

EDIT: Not giving up! I asked if they could run the idea up the flagpole. It seems like a simple change out, here’s hoping they will help with a custom order.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor

Of course I realise that...

Not everything everyone writes on a forum is an attempted mandate LOL

I'm allowed to write about my own experience...

The most important part of my post is the image... Maybe it serves to remind someone to either back off their volume a little or go do a hearing test.

So my post was way more helpful than yours really

Fish17

I already posted on the for sale section but if anyone is willing to sell their Aeon 2 closed back let me know!

I really like the Aeon 2 for the better portability but I’m not willing to shell out an extra $400.

My preference is Noire version but beggars can’t be choosers LOL.

I’m in the states near Pittsburgh, PA.

Last edited:

HEPBO3AH

I ordered my Aeon RT. These will be the first "real" headphones I ever had. Been using mdr-zx770bn for the past 3 years. When I realized how better the sound is on cable, I stopped using them wirelessly.

Not sure what to expect. Never listened to anything better than Momentum 3 and that was for 5 minutes.

Fish17

I ordered my Aeon RT. These will be the first "real" headphones I ever had. Been using mdr-zx770bn for the past 3 years. When I realized how better the sound is on cable, I stopped using them wirelessly.

Not sure what to expect. Never listened to anything better than Momentum 3 and that was for 5 minutes.
Awesome way to start, my first were Grado MS1 back in 2002!

Let us know how they sound!

markanini

Major Contributor
Maybe it serves to remind someone to either back off their volume a little or go do a hearing test.
Not if you have an extremely atypical tolerance to SPL levels. Your provided a table yourself saying a 31 times longer duration is safe.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
You can always look at the used market. I purchased my Aeon2 Flow Closed for $750. This was before the RT existed but it made the jump from the Aeon Flow a little more palatable. I had them both for a brief time.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My subjective opinion is that my Qudelix 5K has just barely enough headroom in my opinion to power my Aeon Flow2 Closed. This is what I use most frequently to drive these even though I have more powerful, non battery options.
View attachment 116188

I am highly interested in your feedback. As you, I am confused by the info provided by various sources (Dan Clark / Amir / Soundstage) on the Aeon Noire sensitivity. I am looking forward hearing from you about how loud is the Aeon Noire when powered through unbalanced or balanced outputs of the Qudelix

I got my Aeon 2 Noire today and tried it with the 3.5mm unbalanced and the Qudelix 5k. I used the EQ presets by Oratory1990 (for Aeon 2 with perforated pads). For first listens i tried to use some of the more dynamic stuff i have (like Brothers In Arms - original CD; Mithras - On Strange Loops HDR version), but much more often i listen to less dynamic masterings.

First and strictly subjective impression from first listens in a quiet room: I agree with tsanguine that the Qudelix is sufficient for the Aeon 2, at least for me. The headroom surely is limited, but for my personal needs i´m quite sure it is enough. I find the volume tsanguine showed a bit too loud for me ("0db balanced" and RMS 2V should be the same volume as "6db balanced", i guess - this is too much for my taste). I think "0db unbalanced" will be enough for every day use, with 6 more db as backup for special situations, so i think i will not need the balanced cable.

But please note that i don´t listen very loudly and actually find the limitation handy as a "safety-feature" that keeps me from listening too loudly in noisy environments.

I don´t know if this applies to the Aeon RT, too.

ririt

I got my Aeon 2 Noire today and tried it with the 3.5mm unbalanced and the Qudelix 5k. I used the EQ presets by Oratory1990 (for Aeon 2 with perforated pads). For first listens i tried to use some of the more dynamic stuff i have (like Brothers In Arms - original CD; Mithras - On Strange Loops HDR version), but much more often i listen to less dynamic masterings.

First and strictly subjective impression from first listens in a quiet room: I agree with tsanguine that the Qudelix is sufficient for the Aeon 2, at least for me. The headroom surely is limited, but for my personal needs i´m quite sure it is enough. I find the volume tsanguine showed a bit too loud for me ("0db balanced" and RMS 2V should be the same volume as "6db balanced", i guess - this is too much for my taste). I think "0db unbalanced" will be enough for every day use, with 6 more db as backup for special situations, so i think i will not need the balanced cable.

But please note that i don´t listen very loudly and actually find the limitation handy as a "safety-feature" that keeps me from listening too loudly in noisy environments.

I don´t know if this applies to the Aeon RT, too.
DjBonoBobo thanks for this first feedback which confirms Tsanguine experience. Can I also ask you how do you connect your qudelix to an audio source? Bluetooth? Usb cable? Since I would like to use a combo Aeon / Qudelix with a iPhone, I am curious to see if you experience any difference in sound quality depending on the way the Qudelix gets music.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom