• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Coldsnap and Tsanguine, which headphones amp are you using? if they are very different, can it explain your different listening experiences?

I'm using Quedelix 5k, ED1A, or a SMSL SU-8 DAC and SH-8 Amp. I don't usually take these to work but occasionally use an EMOTIVA basX A-100 with an SMSL Sanskrit 10th SK10 DAC while there.

Maybe he's talking about another Aeon than the 2 Closed. In any case I think the dampening on an individual model and the perceived 'dynamics' seem to highly correlate. One can tweak them to own preference though..

Since he stated Aeons as plural I took it to mean he is refering to all of them.

Last edited:

ririt

I don't know off hand but I would guess many have the same limitations and most probably don't have the same power capabilities of the Qudelix 5k. In my opinion it gets the job done for a portable option but it would be nice to have something more powerful at home.
Tsanguine, another quick question: to connect the qudelix 5k to the aeon RT, are you using the 3.5mm unbalanced output?

Coldsnap

I can't speak to the Aeon 2s, was referring to the original Aeons open and closed. I was listening to them out of an Asgard 3.

ririt

here are tons of phone dongles out there but many are not adequate. One that handles ÆON well and works either LDAC or APTx HD, or as a USB DAC/Amp, is the FiiO BTR5. It's superb and around $110, the battery even has a decent lifespan pushing the AEONs. We did test a number of wireless/dongle players last year and this was a staff favorite.
Dan Clark, can you please detail how you connect the AEON to the BTR5? I wonder it is through the balanced 2.5mm output of the BTR5 to get max power. However, how do you achieve it with the regular cable provided with the AEON RT? According to the DROP website (from which you can order the AEON) it is a dummer cable with a 1/4 termination.
I am looking forward reading your feedback

quimbo

I wonder if a BT portable amp like the Qudelix 5k will be ok to power the Aeon RT. Any feedback will be welcome.
The Fiio BTR5 easily powers the Aeon Flow Closed 2. I was disappointed that my Cowan Plenue MK II does not power it very well but am now delighted that I have a portable solution if I want one for the AFC2

ririt

The Fiio BTR5 easily powers the Aeon Flow Closed 2. I was disappointed that my Cowan Plenue MK II does not power it very well but am now delighted that I have a portable solution if I want one for the AFC2
Making simulation using some excel templates found on the qudelix 5k, I ended to a max SPL of 98dB (unbalanced) and 102 dB (balanced) with the Aeon closed RT (impedance 13 ohm , sensitivity 78 dB / mV) paired with either the Qudelix or the BTR5. It suggests that a balanced connection is mandatory. Is it what you are using Quimbo? If so, can you please tell me how do you achieve it? which cable are you using since the regular one seems to be suited for unbalanced connection?

quimbo

Making simulation using some excel templates found on the qudelix 5k, I ended to a max SPL of 98dB (unbalanced) and 102 dB (balanced) with the Aeon closed RT (impedance 13 ohm , sensitivity 78 dB / mV) paired with either the Qudelix or the BTR5. It suggests that a balanced connection is mandatory. Is it what you are using Quimbo? If so, can you please tell me how do you achieve it? which cable are you using since the regular one seems to be suited for unbalanced connection?
I purchased this second cable from Moon Audio - Blue Dragon V3 for Dan Clark Audio Headphones

Veri

Master Contributor

ririt

Martijn

Wow I recently received this headphones together with my new portable hpa (e1da s) and I really enjoy it. Thank you so much Amir and all the members at this site. Not only as a closed one it sounds very well. It also is a very nice looking one and a light one. And I don’t bother anyone while listening. Now I wonder , as a open planar, would a Dan Clark be better sounding / measuring than an eq’d Audeze LCD2fazor? To be honest, I even prefer the closed Aeon RT over my open Audeze... Maybe because the Aeon is a new gadget! The Aeon I bought it directly at dc audio and including transportation, it cost eur 450,- while a year ago I bought an open one, the Audeze lcd2f in Holland and it costs eur 1199,-.... Little did I know that recent time....

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just tried these with the Musiland dac dongle and iPad Pro. Sounds good with volume around 75% from max. iPhone 12 with the Apple dongle needs 95-100% volume. I did a quick comparison with the ADI-2 and could not hear any major obvious differences. This is brilliant since now I van enjoy these around the house.

ririt

Just tried these with the Musiland dac dongle and iPad Pro. Sounds good with volume around 75% from max. iPhone 12 with the Apple dongle needs 95-100% volume. I did a quick comparison with the ADI-2 and could not hear any major obvious differences. This is brilliant since now I van enjoy these around the house.
This is a pretty good news since musiland has less power than BTR5 or the Qudelix especially when balanced.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, took delivery of the Open variant of these today. Using Oratory1990's EQ for the Drop version (Aeon X Open) , minus a couple of dB on the lower bass shelf and the 2.5k peak- sounding pretty good. Very clear. Comfy though my big lugs are pressing on the back wall of the pad cup. Good compliment to the Ether CX. Thanks @Dan Clark Audio

RighteousNuts

FYI, the Aeon 2 Noire is pretty great imo.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, took delivery of the Open variant of these today. Using Oratory1990's EQ for the Drop version (Aeon X Open) , minus a couple of dB on the lower bass shelf and the 2.5k peak- sounding pretty good. Very clear. Comfy though my big lugs are pressing on the back wall of the pad cup. Good compliment to the Ether CX. Thanks @Dan Clark Audio
Are you using any of the felt inserts?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using any of the felt inserts?

And as the EQ profiles tend not to say which felt they have used, Im taking the view , take them out, EQ and tweak based on what I then hear.

sacguy231

I ordered the Drop closed version ("Aeon Closed X"), apparently identical to the Aeon Closed RT save for some cosmetic differences. I'm looking forward to getting them and reporting back. I did have an Ether Flow last year, but sold it due to the clamp force that I could never get used to. Hope the Aeon fares a bit better for me! :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the Drop closed version ("Aeon Closed X"), apparently identical to the Aeon Closed RT save for some cosmetic differences. I'm looking forward to getting them and reporting back. I did have an Ether Flow last year, but sold it due to the clamp force that I could never get used to. Hope the Aeon fares a bit better for me! :)

I have the ether too- Im not sure the clamp is any diffferent as its the same headband that doesnt allow you to bend out of shape . Depth of cup and pads similar too.

sacguy231

I have the ether too- Im not sure the clamp is any diffferent as its the same headband that doesnt allow you to bend out of shape . Depth of cup and pads similar too.

Thx, kinda what I was assuming. It wasn't terrible, but I was spoiled perhaps by my other cans being so comfy, so in honesty I never gave it much of a chance. I did really enjoy the build, the sound, etc. So, maybe I'll have to do some facial strength training exercises or something hahaha.

Top Bottom